Female Virgins to the Burn, To Camp or Not to Camp??

Female Virgins to the Burn, To Camp or Not to Camp??

Postby nbraziel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:32 am

Hey all,

Two virgins to the burn here, just acquired tickets a few days ago. Wondering if someone would enlighten: the upsides and downsides of joining a theme camp??

What % of participants live in them? Will we survive on our own? And, what happens if you just show up on Monday but don't know where you're going to camp?!

Thanks millions. Lots to learn in just a couple weeks!!
nbraziel

Postby misfit » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:07 am

you will survive, and probably have more fun on your own. further back, the easier to find a spot... enjoy
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Teo del Fuego » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:15 am

I dont know the percentage breakdown, but you can look at the 2007 map and get idea how much real estate is devoted to theme camps versus general admission. Looks about 40% theme camps, 60% general admission. But thats just a wild ass guess.

If you have read the Survival Guide several times, trolled around ePlaya a bit, and use a healthy dose of common sense, you will not only survive but thrive. Your experience, however, will not be diminished one iota for not being in a theme camp, especially your first year....you'll be too busy running around the playa with a big grin on yer face.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby falk » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:46 pm

IMHO, virgins are better off joining a camp; your fellow campers will have valuable advice, have supplies you forgot to bring, and generally act as a buffer against a bad experience.

My first time out, I didn't understand how important foot care and chapstick were, for example. I would have had a very bad time without experienced camp-mates to help me out.

Read through the boards; you'll encounter a few camps that are still accepting people.

It's not mandatory though. Wherever you pitch your tent becomes a camp once you meet your neighbors.
falk

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:46 pm

...however this late in the game it will be difficult to join a quality theme camp, as most camps have been working for months together by this point and do not look kindly on last minute wannabees. No offense intended to the OP's

I agree that your best bet at this time is to plan on camping alone. The 9:00 side of the city tends to be more "adult" oriented, but also dustier because it is downwind. The 3:00 side is a bit more restrained, but is less dusty. Plan on being at least 4-5 streets back, which means bikes are essential. Have lots of lights and blinky stuff for night. You will assuredly be camped nearby a cool "theme camp" (if not 50), and will have ample opportunity to mingle and see what works and what doesn't. Next year you can "join a theme camp" or roll your own.

Welcome home.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Somnivore » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:29 pm

Stag Camp would love to have you. No theme other than a bunch of guys and gals that are coming solo or w/o others to join. Check out thread in this same forum or on Tribe:Stag Camp
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby Somnivore » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:30 pm

Oh, and we'll be at approx 8:30 and F
"Salt em and leave their little beef jerky asses laying around as a testament to the other little mother fuckers that are lurking in the shadows!" Big Worm
Somnivore

Postby nbraziel » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:37 pm

Thanks, Somnivore!! Been sold on Stag Camp since, uh... tribe says I joined 8/13?? Seems like so much longer ago... Can't wait to meet everyone in person!! Amazing group.
nbraziel

Postby Somnivore » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:52 am

:mrgreen:
Somnivore

Return to 2007 Theme Camps