Burning Man Runners

Burning Man Runners

Postby Tombro » Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:18 pm

Hi all.

I'm training for a marathon and will be doing some mid to long runs on the Playa in the wee morning hours. I've seen a few other runners shuffling along in the dust and wonder if anyone would like to run while we're there.

Drop me a line and we'll find a time to meet up.

Tombro
"Take it easy. Don't worry about it. I don't. Well, I do, but I wish I didn't." (Roger Waters)
Tombro

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:05 pm

I think the Hash House Harriers usually do a Hash on the Playa. Now that aint exactly marathon training but is sorta running.
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Sounds good....

Postby Greenltdistrict » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:53 pm

I'm down for running. Don't have our coordinates just yet though...keep me posted
Greenltdistrict

Running Enthusiast...

Postby DJKultleader » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:36 am

In my professional life I am a track coach, personal trainer and kickboxing instructor. Although I no longer compete in marathons I still love to run every now and then. I will be out running the first few mornings while I am there. I'd be more than happy to get with a group and offer up some training tips if anyone wants them. I'm a great form coach... I'm not sure where I will be camping just yet. Get in touch. Lets work out!
Dj Kultleader
San Diego, Ca
www.myspace.com/jayjb
DJKultleader

training for 1/2 marathon

Postby katherinebajenova » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:15 pm

I'm going to run several times during the week. Training for a 1/2 marathon. Can we all meet somewhere specific? I'm camping 1 block from Opulent Temple.
Not sure of address yet.

Katherine
katherinebajenova

Postby firepilot » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:13 pm

[quote="Teo del Fuego"]I think the Hash House Harriers usually do a Hash on the Playa. Now that aint exactly marathon training but is sorta running.[/quote]

According to Ashland hashers, they have a run at wed 230pm, from Center Camp. Running isnt a needed skill, just holding your drink is. I run with the Boise hashers.
firepilot

Online Registry @ Center Camp

Postby Tombro » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:55 pm

I recall there being some sort of registry at Center Camp where one can post whereabouts online.

I will post something under the heading "Burning Man Runners" with location details and some run times.

I'm camping with a group called Bloop, placement not yet certain.

See you out there!
Tombro
"Take it easy. Don't worry about it. I don't. Well, I do, but I wish I didn't." (Roger Waters)
Tombro

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:39 pm

firepilot wrote: I run with the Boise hashers.

I bet your hash name is your Playa name, or vice versa. I used to run with Pinelake Hashers out of Atlanta which was started by a guy named Skypilot.

A bit of useless trivia
Teo del Fuego

re:

Postby firepilot » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:42 pm

I dont have a name yet, I am sure soon enough!
firepilot

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:17 pm

if you're talking about a hashname, just dont wear one of those belt packs on your fifth hash or they'll name you "ass packer" like they did a friend of mine.
Teo del Fuego

Postby firepilot » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:20 pm

I did some hashing in west Africa, and it was a lot more family friendly, I dont remember any hash names, and they really only did one song "Swing Low Sweet Chariot"

Boise hash is definitely a bit more adult, but someone who was at our hash other day and goes to a lot of hashes still says ours is fairly tame.

I would love to do a hash at burning man, and to get a shirt
firepilot

Wait a sec...

Postby Greenltdistrict » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:23 pm

What is hashing? Easy tempo run?
Greenltdistrict

Postby firepilot » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:25 pm

It is some beer drinking with running somewhere in the evening :)

The hashing motto is "A drinking club with a running problem". Its less about running ability or speed, and more about just a social event with some running and drinking. Oh and pretty adult humor, definitely not for the uptight or easily offended.
firepilot

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:34 pm

hashing is a hare-n-hounds type deal where someone marks a trail through woods, streams, shopping malls, underneath freeways, open road, railroad track, etc. usually by throwing little daubs of flour on the ground or side of trees or buildings for the others to follow. No one except the person who set the hash knows where it goes. The trail intermittently ends at checkpoints where the others have to fan out and search for where it resumes, often with false trails and backtracks. At the end there are drinks and munchies and ribald rugby-type songs. Newbies have to drink a full beer from a wooden mug without stopping. If they stop mid-drink they have to pour the remainder over their head. After their fifth hash they get named by mob-consensus and the dirtier more profane the name the better. A dermatologist I know was named Crotch-Rot. My name was Yuppie Scum. My girlfirend's was Comes with Scum. you get the picture. Its all over the world and in every state.
Teo del Fuego

Postby firepilot » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:58 pm

I think they can all be a little different. Ours in Boise, doesnt really have a timeline for naming. Its just happens when it happens.

And down-downs (beer drinking for "crimes" or other things) arent done here in wooden mugs, but in bedpans and urine collectors.
firepilot

Postby Trixy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:22 pm

Firepilot wrote:

"And down-downs (beer drinking for "crimes" or other things) arent done here in wooden mugs, but in bedpans and urine collectors."

I say, eeewwwwwww!
Chillax, dude.
Trixy

Postby RebA! » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Ooh boy cant wait to hash on the playa. I just started hashing this year. I'll be out there.

Our hash uses steins and a bed pan for those special down-downs

Hash name - Panty Ho
"My husband and I are either going to buy a dog or have a child. We can't decide whether to ruin our carpets or ruin our lives."
--Rita Rudner
RebA!

Postby Teo del Fuego » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:36 pm

my ex-girlfriend Comes with Scum, moved to Seattle. Wonder if she still hashes? Prolly not under that name. Know any hasher women who used to live in Atlanta?
Teo del Fuego

Running/Exercise at Burning Man 2008

Postby Landstuhl61 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:43 pm

I'm hoping to get in some sort of run at some point each day. Depending on temp, weather conditions, dust.

If anyone wants to meet up and put in a couple of miles at a 8-9 minute pace, let me know. I can go faster, but I'm just doing it for maintenance, not really planning on doing any serious speedwork or long runs at BM 2008.
Landstuhl61

Return to 2007 Theme