Burning Man as a religious experience

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Burning Man as a religious experience

Postby SED » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:49 am

I swear I see God when the man burns. It's not like a holy-roller personal savior kind of experience--it's more like wild forces of nature being unleashed--more like a demon being summoned.

This event has become what church/temple/prayer has never been.

I don't see why or how I should see it differently, either.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby Zane5100 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:57 am

From some points of view, you view God all the time--you just choose to ignore Him/Her/It.

View it as you want--that's why faith is ultimately a personal experience.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Don't say I didn't warn you...

Postby Last Real Burner » Wed Dec 17, 2003 11:20 am

If you keep seeing God like that you're gonna grow hair on the palms of your hand and go blind.

"A burning bush, you say."
meekly,
mr smith
"Do you know what happened to the boy who got everything he wished for? - He lived happily ever after".
Last Real Burner

Yep

Postby naga brain » Wed Dec 17, 2003 1:38 pm

I think there was one of those kind of sayings in one of the sections that was removed from the Bible when it was cannonized (gospel of Thomas?). Correct me if I am wrong, but Jesus was reported saying therein,"the kingdom of heaven is all around, all you have to do is open your eyes and see it."

If that is one of those new age reinterpretations of things, out of context or just plain wrong, fine, I still like the sentiment. By no means am I an expert or even a Christian...
It's about beer O'clock guys....where's my riot?
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Re: Yep

Postby Zane5100 » Wed Dec 17, 2003 2:21 pm

naga brain wrote:I think there was one of those kind of sayings in one of the sections that was removed from the Bible when it was cannonized (gospel of Thomas?). Correct me if I am wrong, but Jesus was reported saying therein,"the kingdom of heaven is all around, all you have to do is open your eyes and see it."

If that is one of those new age reinterpretations of things, out of context or just plain wrong, fine, I still like the sentiment. By no means am I an expert or even a Christian...

Which time? Books have been added and removed from The Bible on many different occasions.
middle-aged, wannabe-hipster, dilettante
Zane5100

Postby blyslv » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:02 pm

Some historians/biblical scholars posit that Jesus' "lost years" were spent in India, where he studied yoga. Many of his sayings in the Gospel of Thomas would lend credance to that notion. Interesting speculation that is in the end meaningless to me. I like thinking that God exists in each of us and that it is up to us to touch that as much as possible, even at the risk of hairy palms.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

My advice, SED

Postby BlueBirdPoof » Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:39 pm

Is simply not to worry about it. That's your experience, you don't have to get into the philosophy. Some migyht say that it's people like you who are remaking it into a cult, but I've always known (long before attending) that that's one of the (many) things burning man "is."
BlueBirdPoof

Everyone I know says that they come back "a changed man

Postby thehunt » Sat Jan 10, 2004 12:08 am

Even if it is just the little things, like a new-found love for electronic dance music, a respect for others/neighbors, or just general things that are learned/experienced there...
There are many things that can be described as spiritual there. people there deal with all types of religious/spiritual issues, which I think is great cuz it lets everyone evolve and associate themselves with other like-minded people.
I'm not religious or even really spiritual, but I can see that there are many spiritual elements at BM. I think it is beautiful thing.
The Hunt \<>/ Eric Huntington - DJ, Producer, Abstract Artist - picassocamp.org/gallery
My Group: Enlightenmen
email: thehunt@live.com
thehunt

Postby Captain Goddammit » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:46 pm

Goddammit! The whole God, heaven and hell, bible, miracle, religious BULLSHIT scene, if too much of it creeps into BM, will drive me right the hell out of the event. I hate that shit. The rest of you are welcome to as much of that as you like (one of the basic elements of being an American) but I'll be needing none of it. A-freakin'-men.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby SED » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:57 pm

Well, Cap, I hope this doesn't just piss you off all the more, but it's exactly that kind of attitude (yours) that makes it a valid spiritual experience for me. You're not trying to make it anything like religion, just like animals and plants aren't trying to be beautiful and miraculous in their varieties and forms. I'd hate it too if there were a unified spiritual message, or any kind of message at all. I just can't help but sense how the atoms hold together when a few get split in front off me.
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Re: Burning Man as a religious experience

Postby dj_john69 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:27 pm

SED wrote:I swear I see God when the man burns. It's not like a holy-roller personal savior kind of experience--it's more like wild forces of nature being unleashed--more like a demon being summoned.

This event has become what church/temple/prayer has never been.

I don't see why or how I should see it differently, either.

Yup, i remember the 1st time i took acid on the Playa as well...hehe

The best thing about Burning Man is it can be whatever you want it to be.

~John
dj_john69

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Whatever you want

Postby naga brain » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:23 pm

All you have to do is open your eyes and see it...
It's about beer O'clock guys....where's my riot?
naga brain

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: The Perpetual Dome Builders

Return to Politics & Philosophy