green man pavilion

green man pavilion

Postby mattattack » Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:32 am

i'm really liking what i hear about this year's 'green man pavilion'. i don't know much about the environment or how to be green, but i know i'm going to learn a lot about earth sciences and technological innovations while visiting the pavilion. i can't wait!

i'm hoping to learn about the wonderful companies that will be displaying their products at the man. i'm hoping to make some key purchases when i get back from the burn.

i live in florida, and every year i go to disney world's epcot center and marvel at all the innovations and new products on display there. epcot has been doing the green theme for a while, and i'm wondering if the burningman organizers got some of their ideas for the pavilion from disney. it's such a great idea.

next year, it would be cool if they make the pavilion a replica of epcot as a sort of homage to the origins of the idea.

M
mattattack

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:49 am

MikeVDS

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:51 am

MikeVDS

Postby Ugly Dougly » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:18 am

Hey let's post something provocative just to see people react. What fun.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby bigbluedoggy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:34 am

mhm..... Its interesting how the whole blurb about the pavilion was reworded in the recent website updates.... or did I just imagine that?

Trying to keep an open mind until I see how and what it is.

*WOof* :-P
If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

oh my

Postby mattattack » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:15 am

heaven forbid a post is provocative or includes any type of sarcasm: we will call you a TROLL. gadz NO!

afraid a discussion on the subject might begin?

i'm not saying expos aren't fun...

M
mattattack

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:24 am

heaven forbid a post is provocative or includes any type of sarcasm: we will call you a TROLL. gadz NO!

Are you still trying? Is your name Inigo Montoya? Did I kill your father?

*prepares to die*
MikeVDS

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:28 am

<whisper>In case you missed it, we've done this one already over on e-playa too. Might want to check out those threads if you're truly looking for more insight. </whisper>
MikeVDS

insight

Postby mattattack » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:55 pm

i don't think this topic can be 'done already' in other threads.

M
mattattack

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:07 pm

Yep. Especially check out this monster of a thread, Business 2.0 Article:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=19923

Not enough for you? Check out the others figuring out ways to mess with the pavilion:
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=20044

http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=19934
MikeVDS

btw

Postby mattattack » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:49 pm

<btw>'safety 3rd' is sooo 2003</btw>

M
mattattack

yep

Postby mattattack » Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:55 pm

yep. read those threads before.

this thread is here.

M
mattattack

Postby MikeVDS » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:09 pm

'safety 3rd' is sooo 2003

Sorry, I thought that was the hip new thing. *slams palm against forehead* I'll try to keep up so I can be cool like you. Mmm'k?
MikeVDS

Postby Trixy » Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:14 pm

keep up the taunting, I need the good laughs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And taking/replicating anything from disney is lame. Aren't we better than that?
Chillax, dude.
Trixy

yeah...

Postby mattattack » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:02 am

mikeVDS, you might also want to retire your utilikilt this year... ya know?
mattattack

P & P

Postby mattattack » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:18 am

i didn't start this thread to get into the politics & philosophy of what's happening at the pavilion. i wanted to open a discussion on the thing and the stuff, which is 2007 art.

personally, i want to know which companies will be exhibiting their products. i just want to know because i find it interesting. i'm in no way suggesting that people use such information to hijack the expo by dressing up as company (ie google) representatives and start handing out corporate pamphlets, or even sticking price tags on the products. this would be wrong. this would be very very wrong.

i'm more interested in discussion about the artistic style of expo and perhaps how it can grow larger in future years. also, will networking be allowed? can i hand out my business cards?

M
mattattack

Postby Barbie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:30 am

TEEHEEHHHE EHEHHEH did I miss somrthing somewhere WHY all the worry about this stuff I thought we already worked out it is the YEAR of the MONKEY fprget about the other theme GO WITH THE MONKEY THEME....LIVR IT BE IT WE ARE THE MONKEYS!!!!!!!!!!!!! well okay then.... thats what I'm doing love to have YOU ALL follow along...AND REMEMBER WHEN YOU SEE ONL.Y MONKEY STUFF ON THE PLAYA THIS YEAR AND YOU WENT WITH THE OTHER THEME YOU WERE WARNED by barbie a burner who cares....teeehehhehehehehheeeee
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:37 am

i'm more interested in discussion about the artistic style of expo and perhaps how it can grow larger in future years. also, will networking be allowed? can i hand out my business cards?

No you're not. You interested in see what kind of reactions you can get out of people. That's more interesting back on tribe. Trust me.

Are Utilkilts no good either anymore? Maybe it's time for me to get one then. Just for you, my love. May I ask what is stylish in the year of the monkey, dear?
MikeVDS

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:24 am

The theme this year is DONKEY FUCKING

all other discussion is irrelevant....

(unless there will be DONKEY FUCKING under that pavilion)
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:57 am

We'll have to compromise with monkies fucking donkies, or donkies fucking monkies. I think the monkey one started first but the donkey fucking one sends such a powerful message, that it cannot be ignored.
MikeVDS

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:41 pm

/me flings poo at matt
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Barbie » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:01 pm

Monkies MONKIES MONKIES.......Live it BE IT..Okay maybe we could throw in some Donkey fucking wouldn't hurt....or maybe it would..... :shock: Monkies are stylish in anything!!!! thats whats so great about the THEME MONKIES MONKIES MONKIES.......SEE YA ALL IN THE DUST!!!!!!!!!
Barbie

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:25 pm

Monkies are stylish in anything!!!!

Which is also the reason we need some donkey fucking in there. Too much style could ruin the mood.
MikeVDS

exploratorium

Postby mattattack » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:43 am

i see it as being more like the exploratorium than a regular expo. it will appeal to most of the people on the playa. most people won't object.

only troublemakers who have been to the playa for 10 years or so and/or who know green tech and how to do their own research will turn their noses up at it.

that leaves the kool-aid-drinkers and the spectators, probably about 75% of ticket-holders. so it's going to work and be assimilated into the event. in 5 years, it will be hard to imagine BRC without products being displayed.

the products should, IMO, be push-button operated or have an easy to use spin wheel. this is what most people are looking for. the spectators want to be entertained and amused and plus they want stuff. in the 'stuff' category, perhaps a product that converts poop back into food can help feed these hungry-for-anything ticket-holders.

i think the products on display should have some way to communicate to the prospective customers on how to purchase after the event. people want to buy stuff, and they should be given what they want. otherwise, they're going to leave the pavilion feeling slightly frustrated, and that's going to effect the karma of the entire event. there should be a single sheet available that lists the websites where people can learn about the products they've seen after they return home.

M
mattattack

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:02 am

i see it as being more like the exploratorium than a regular expo.

Stop changing the subject. Shouldn't you be petting a monkey or fucking a donkey or something on topic? :twisted:
MikeVDS

Postby actiongrl » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:55 am

Maybe the idea is that people leave the pavilion inspired to build, do, DIY, create, research, and think, and not "buy".
actiongrl

Postby Barbie » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:48 am

Oh Oh Ohhhh shopping on the playa what a great idea....I was to busy looking for donkeys to fuck in my new monkey outfit to really get it....sooooo I guess that means I'll have to figure out where to carry my credit card and ID...will we have to bring our own shopping bags???? and if I buy a big enough thing I think I should be allowed to drive my truck across the playa to pick it up(you know for VIP customers who purchase over say 3,000 dollars worth of stuff or maybe we can have our new toys delivered to our camps.....ohhhh I just can't wait to SHOP ON THE PLAYA in my new mokey outfit while fucking a donkey.....
Barbie

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:24 pm

actiongrl wrote:Maybe the idea is that people leave the pavilion inspired to build, do, DIY, create, research, and think, and not "buy".

This attitude is what's retarded about it, IMO. In ten years of discussing & giving advice on building stuff for Burning Man I've never hesitated to suggest what to buy & where to buy it. Granted, I've never attempted a technology-based pavilion, but if I did one of the main points would be to give people honest information, including brand names & suppliers. I would hope buhrners are part of the real world as much as manufacturers & suppliers -- it seems intentionally stupid to think otherwise.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:27 pm

ITIM "intentionally stupefying".

Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby MozyBonz » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:59 pm

Bob wrote:
actiongrl wrote:Maybe the idea is that people leave the pavilion inspired to build, do, DIY, create, research, and think, and not "buy".

This attitude is what's retarded about it, IMO. In ten years of discussing & giving advice on building stuff for Burning Man I've never hesitated to suggest what to buy & where to buy it. Granted, I've never attempted a technology-based pavilion, but if I did one of the main points would be to give people honest information, including brand names & suppliers. I would hope buhrners are part of the real world as much as manufacturers & suppliers -- it seems intentionally stupid to think otherwise.

That’s what I like about bob he Strips it down to its bare essence of how the real world works.. well it Cerntally represents my perception of the real world.

and you got to love that face
MozyBonz

Next

Return to 2007 Art & Performance