Business 2.0 Article

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Postby actiongrl » Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:46 pm

Thank the new 3 person press tracking team, the new media monitoring service we signed up for, and the awesome webteam for gettin' it all online!
actiongrl

Postby capjbadger » Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:54 pm

actiongrl wrote:Thank the new 3 person press tracking team, the new media monitoring service we signed up for, and the awesome webteam for gettin' it all online!

So you're saying we "Lowjack'ed" the camera crews? Do we all get access to the tracking receivers? ;)

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Dork » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:25 pm

So back to the origional subject - one statement that struck me in the latest burncast is that the org ASKED him to write the article. They wanted publicity in the business world. Why? It seems too late to get more corporate submissions for the pavilion, and if that was their goal you'd think they would target alternative energy trade magazines.

Was it insecurity about not being taken seriously by the business community? Or an attempt at early spin to influence articles that will come up in the coming months? Or part of a desire to be more connected with corporate interests beyond this year's event?

I fear it's the latter.
Dork

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:31 pm

Dork wrote:I fear it's the latter.

Maybe an attempt to shape the event into something that will fetch a bigger price on the auction block a few years down the road?

I don't know
Teo del Fuego

Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby skygod » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:32 pm

Arnold Schwarzenegger made a speech a few weeks ago about politicians that aren't "Green" are like penguins floating away on an ice floe and then he said "Bye, bye, my little friend."
Green is the new Inquisition.
It trumps everything.
This is how corporations go Green.
It's going to happen anyway I'm not sure it's a bad idea to have some influence on the process in this way.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby DaBomb » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:54 am

skygod wrote:Green is the new Inquisition.
It trumps everything.
This is how corporations go Green.
It's going to happen anyway I'm not sure it's a bad idea to have some influence on the process in this way.

Since y'all don't come see me on Tribe, I thought it might be nice to share a little blog post I made last week here:

Green is the New Black for Corporate America

Morning Edition, June 22, 2007 · Businesses are trying to remake their image to look more environmentally friendly. It's a transformation that began more than a decade ago. Don Carli, a research fellow at the Institute for Sustainable Communication, discusses the new corporate trend with Renee Montagne.

Click on link below to hear . You'll also need RealPlayer
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=11271811

dork wrote:Was it insecurity about not being taken seriously by the business community? Or an attempt at early spin to influence articles that will come up in the coming months? Or part of a desire to be more connected with corporate interests beyond this year's event?

I fear it's the latter.

It's hard to know, Dork, since the Community is prevented from receiving any information as to what the five year plan is.
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
http://www.BURNcast.tv
DaBomb

Postby actiongrl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:30 am

To be the most precise, the story I talked to Chris about was the Burning Man the community and organization taking on the Green Issue with its theme this year. The pavilion idea was launched in January and posted to our website not long after, so we started talking to you about it at around the same time; it was only a small facet of the overall story I was excited to have Chris talk about with us. I am not even sure I was yet aware of the pavilion until after the first time Chris and I talked. I remember he was at the staff meeting where we talked to our staff about it, but that was much later.

We met through a mutual friend and I was, in fact, happy for the chance to see us looked at seriously as a business organization in the middle of a community all working together to take an artistic AND business oriented look at climate change. I guess that I was hoping the green story might inspire other businesses, or that it might just be an interesting story of an evolution toward best practices for environmentalism among ALL businesses, including this particular desert cultural event production company with worldwide year round communities and several charitable and non-profit arms surrounding it. My enthusiasm for that story wasn't a question of getting more people to the event, or getting companies to come, either - it was the idea of publicly discussing this community seriously as a mass of human beings engaged in a business taking on a global issue through art that intrigued me. Yep, I totally wanted to see that in print.
actiongrl

Postby DaBomb » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:04 am

actiongrl wrote: My enthusiasm for that story wasn't a question of getting more people to the event, or getting companies to come, either - it was the idea of publicly discussing this community seriously as a mass of human beings engaged in a business taking on a global issue through art that intrigued me. Yep, I totally wanted to see that in print.

That's really nice, Andie. Really.

What I came away with from talking to Chris (and also from my personal experience with the media and no, I am not dredging up issues that are known, I'm talking about issues that happened to me personally before SaveBRC) is that it's impossible to control what the media is going to do.

I venture to say, it's impossible to control discussions and how people are going to read things in a social network.

I'm not wagging a finger, so please don't into this. If I was able to look you in the face, I would hope you could see this.

Thank you for sharing.
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
DaBomb

Postby actiongrl » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:11 am

Lady, you so nailed that one on the head.

There is a public speaking series on the playa that we're talking about doing that I hope is going to include a conversation with Chris or maybe some other reporters and writers about the media at Burning Man, hopefully held at Otter Oasis. When there's more detail we'll be sure to get it out there and in the WWW etc. Should be interesting and timely.
actiongrl

Postby DaBomb » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:13 am

actiongrl wrote:Lady, you so nailed that one on the head.

There is a public speaking series on the playa that we're talking about doing that I hope is going to include a conversation with Chris or maybe some other reporters and writers about the media at Burning Man, hopefully held at Otter Oasis. When there's more detail we'll be sure to get it out there and in the WWW etc. Should be interesting and timely.

Nice.

Keep us posted.

Until then, I still invite you and Tom to come visit BURNcast and have a friendly tu-tu-Tuesday chat at my camp, Camp Sunscreen this year.

Let me know if/when works for you.
Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
DaBomb

Postby LeChatNoir » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:51 am

DaBomb wrote:
actiongrl wrote: My enthusiasm for that story wasn't a question of getting more people to the event, or getting companies to come, either - it was the idea of publicly discussing this community seriously as a mass of human beings engaged in a business taking on a global issue through art that intrigued me. Yep, I totally wanted to see that in print.

That's really nice, Andie. Really.

I'll second that, DaBomb...

Thanks, AG.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

So....What......!!!!!!

Postby Usel » Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:31 pm

All this article is saying is that Burning man is a brand and has power.......OUR power! We are what is represented and we are what is sought. I have no problem with America INC. seeing our way......just keep the logos outside the fence and donate to use our brand. The same way we donate to participate.

I am just another cog in the dust this year and the last two. but I am, as you are.....
Usel

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:16 pm

the thread that would not die.....
Teo del Fuego

Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby actiongrl » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 pm

Hey look it's the actual list of the pavilion projects...you will see a lot of returning artists here and some cool-sounding stuff.

http://burningman.com/installations/07_exhibitions.html

Can't wait for everyone to come see for themselves what they think in the end after all the rubber hits the road.

Back to leaving for the desert now...
AG
actiongrl

Postby Finnegan » Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:04 pm

It looks great, thus far. Will let you know if we need to burn it down or not..

Really, the letter from Mr. Hat would have done wonders before all of this blew out of proportion.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy