where is the 2007 map?

Postby The Hosh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:26 pm

There are four more streets this year? So does that mean the blocks will be smaller or will the city push out further? If the latter, doesn't that mean they're expecting a MUCH bigger city this year, maybe in the 60-70k range??
The Hosh

Postby Rob_ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:38 pm

I'd wish they'd hurry and post it. I thought it a big jump as well by adding 4 streets. Anyone get a preview of an actual map? (besides street names)
Rob_

Postby mdmf007 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:18 pm

I would like to see a smaller innerdiameter circle and for more streets. This woulde effectively increase population density. just my 2 cents
later

70 thousand is not possible - it exceeds the permitted limit by BLM
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:04 am

It also exceeds the infrastructure capacity for the event. We're pushing it right now - there are limits to how many people can do this, from the number of staph to the capacity of the local highway infrastructure.

Sure - there *are* ways to stretch it to a bigger crowd, but it involves a dialation of the time thing, and there's only one man to burn.

Ergo the magic of the regionals - because there's not enough space to grow the original event... ya have regionals so your theoretic capacity (because of the Burner Branch Offices, AKA BBO's, AKA Regional Burns) can be in the millions.

Not bad, eh? But yeah, Size wise the Black Rock Desert is huge... but the roads leading to it, and the ability of the local community (From Gerlach to Reno to Winnemucca) to deliver and absorb more, is difficult. And a small company like the org couldn't do it, anyway - too labor intensive...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby robotland » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:05 am

The Hosh wrote:There are four more streets this year? So does that mean the blocks will be smaller or will the city push out further? If the latter, doesn't that mean they're expecting a MUCH bigger city this year, maybe in the 60-70k range??

It's my understanding that the answer is "a little of both"...But primarily, the existing streets will be narrower. Doesn't seem like that'd create that much more real estate, though. A VISUAL WOULD HELP.
Perhaps BRC needs to grow a third "testicle", like the satellite camps for DPW and LEOs, for Raver Camp...just over them thar hills....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby mdmf007 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:09 am

Nevada DOT has stated that they are no where near capacity. So the roads in are not the problem.

Staffing is easy to ramp up as more people equal more revenue, and more revenue means more resources to allocate.

economy of scale comes to mind - the more people at an event, the cheaper per head it is to organize.

The only real factor IMO is BM's limit - and even that can be changed as it is just a number on paper.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby sputnik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:21 am

The roads will be the same width as in the past, 30'. Each block will be 170' deep except for the first block which will be 400'. I put together a quick drawing of this using sketchup. It's available here:

It doesn't include radial roads or center camp or the plazas. However, my calculations from this show that there is about 2 million more square feet than last year. Based on the size of last year's city it would be like adding one more block. The hope here is that people will fill in more densely.
It's going to be alright.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby AntiM » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:41 pm

No double blocks for the villages, eh? We got yelled at for camping "in the middle of the road." Sigh.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby sputnik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:57 pm

There could be all kinds of stuff in here that I don't know about. All I put together was what I was told, the depth of each block and the width of the streets.
sputnik

Postby Token » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:33 pm

Makes sense. In years past the center of the blocks on any given street usually was void and empty. Everyone wants street frontage.

The downside to more roads is more dust.

I wonder how much more water they will need for dust abatement.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby sputnik » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:39 pm

Yeah...my thought exactly. So, we'll see how it goes.
sputnik

Postby bigbluedoggy » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:14 pm

If everyone is special... no one is.

I do believe I will go to Burning Man...
bigbluedoggy

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge

Postby MikeVDS » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:00 pm

Here is a slightly lower quality jpeg I made for those who are either lazy or get annoyed with PDF.

Click for higher resolution:

Nope. Nothing real exciting here.
MikeVDS

Postby The Hosh » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:22 am

MikeVDS wrote:Here is a slightly lower quality jpeg I made for those who are either lazy or get annoyed with PDF..

Would it be possible to post a vectored PDF? The artwork in the PDF appears to be rasterized...
The Hosh

Previous

Return to 2007 Theme