“Killerâ€

“Killerâ€

Postby Finnegan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 1:50 pm

Any interest in playing a good old game of Killer on the playa? If you are not familiar, it is organized assissination sort of game. I played a bunch of games in high school. Anymore, it is extremely unwise to try this in the default public world, but I can’t imagine a better venue than BM for it.

Originally published by Steve Jackson games, here’s a link to Amazon’s description:

http://www.amazon.com/Killer-Game-Assas ... 1556343515

If folks want to give it a try, I’ll organize it.
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:07 pm

YAY! I had thrown around the same idea a while back, but didn't have the time to run it with all my other projects.

Details? :)

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Dork » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:10 pm

I'd love to participate in something like that. Just need to figure out some playa-specific assassination methods.
Dork

Postby Finnegan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:16 pm

Water guns are always good, and not moopy. Maybe scream “DIE DIE DIEâ€
"No one is innocent, citizen. We are merely here to determine the level of your guilt."
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:51 pm

Sounds awesome. We used to play similar things. Once we had a game going that was pretty bad because we were afraid to hang out with each other for a week. After a bit you figured out who was trying to kill you and formed "teams" but since the draw was random of who you'd kill it made it pretty interesting.

I'll join in, but I may make an easy target this year. Last year would have been great though, since I was all over the place.
MikeVDS

Postby joel the ornery » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:59 pm

um, you might make the rangers and LEO know you are playing a game.

just sayin'
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:03 pm

Dork wrote:I'd love to participate in something like that. Just need to figure out some playa-specific assassination methods.

"Grey Water shower poisoning" (Victim's solar shower is "injected" with contents of grey water evap pond)

"Boobytraped Lantern trap" (open lantern to clean, *boom* note is found)

"BLM Raid trap" (Victim is approached by BLM rangers, forced to go to tent, planted "drugs" are found, person is kicked out of event)

"Center Camp Coffee poisoning" (Write "that was poison" in the inside bottom of their coffee cup so they see when they finish their drink. Deadly till the last drop. :twisted: )

I'm sure I'll think of more... :twisted:

Badger
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:06 pm

Hmm... there may have to be some "at work" rules. I can't really play when carrying a rack of lanterns to light the city. ;)

Badger

capjbadger

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:11 pm

If this is going to happen, it might be a good idea to make up some props beforehand. Example might be a plastic chip that says poison that you hopefully won't find in your drink. Or water balloons that say explosive that can be hidden different places where you might set them off. I'm not sure how the official games goes, but I'll do some reading later.
MikeVDS

Postby Finnegan » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:13 pm

Agreed! Maybe on your photo you can write your camp and one place/event where you are off limits.
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:20 pm

Yes. There are going to be plenty of people with "jobs" that will need a non-home camp area that is off limits for them.

Cafe workers = when they are behind the counter
Lamplighters = Setting out the lamps in the evening
Camp Antartica = While working
etc...

Badger

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:22 pm

Also, while the target's camp name is on the photo, the location of that camp is not. Make the killer do some homework to find them... 8)

Badger

capjbadger

Postby Fat SAM » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:41 pm

I want to play! That sounds awesome! I think if we get to call 'base' on stuff, I should be exempt during my protest hour, Mon - Fri 3-4pm, Sat
3-?, just because I won't be in game mode...Any other time, I'd be killable, though.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:12 pm

I think we all have at least one event we have to be at. Either way works for me, off or on limits. Depending on how many people are playing, it's unlikely they'll know by your picture the event you'll be holding, and IMO an added thrill, both of trying to costume/disguise yourself during the event and spying to find out when and where they'll be.
MikeVDS

Postby Rocket75377 » Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:10 am

I'M JUST FINDING OUT ABOUT THIS <i>NOW?</i>

I am so in.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"
Rocket75377

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:31 pm

Rocket75377 wrote:I'M JUST FINDING OUT ABOUT THIS <i>NOW?</i>

I am so in.

It just got posted yesterday. Welcome to the ground floor. Too bad it's rigged to explode. :twisted:

*BOOM*

mwahahaha
Badger

capjbadger

Postby Dork » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:39 pm

capjbadger wrote:Also, while the target's camp name is on the photo, the location of that camp is not. Make the killer do some homework to find them... 8)

Badger

Perhaps if there's a good landmark showing behind the person the camp name isn't even needed. That will encourage people to explore and ask random people if they know where the giant whatever is.
Dork

Postby Finnegan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:14 pm

I have a feeling that this is going to be a lot of fun! Nothing like a good strong dose of paranoia to go with your lack of sleep and general disorientation.

There are a bunch of different scarios available to us. The round robin, individual assassination might be easiest for all concerned. But others are more team-oriented, like Capture The Tutu, Godfathers/Capos/Soldiers, villagers vs. vampires, etc etc. Camp vs. Camp would be fun.

I think I would set up shop in the Booby Bar, as that’s where I will be camping. So, maybe during certain hours of the day, I’ll be there to dole out photos, listen to the kill stories, upgrade weapons and like that. The Booby Bar will be a ‘Safe Haven’, and I would hope it would turn into a weird mercenary/assassin hangout.

Killer is usually supposed to be a stealth sort of thing, with limits on number of witnesses, an emphasis on sneaking. I think that’s largely to spare the Normals from feeling scared. At BM there are no Normals, so what do you think? Shootouts in the town square?

Here are some guidelines I stole from another Killer site:

1. The DM does not like adjudicating rules. Don't make him do it. If the players cannot work it out with the DM's assistance, open season may be called on both players. Alternatively, a duel may be called.

2. Play within the spirit of the rules. They are meant to be followed, with reasonable bending. The DM determines what is and isn't reasonable.

3. Do not involve non-players in any way. Be sensitive to the fact that you may scare passersby in a protracted firefight. Try not to do that.

4. No head shots.

5. No destruction or damage of property, whether it's the property of the players, or that of innocent bystanders.

6. There is no Rule 6!

7. No one will attempt to impersonate the DM, or find his super secret stash of player information.

8. No one in the game should ever fear for their safety. Avoid physical contact, do not place bombs in a car that will detonate while the mark is driving, and other bits of common sense.

9. Do not be rules lawyer.

Safe Havens
1. One per player, as said above, maybe your place of “workâ€
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Dork » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 pm

No witnesses could be difficult out there. Would poisoning someone in a crowded bar, for example, be ok as long as nobody saw you deposit the poison?

Informing the DM could also be difficult, considering there could be several miles between us and people don't often stay in one place for long. If I spend all afternoon finding a person and coming up with a plan, do I then have to go find you, then find the person again?

Perhaps a bike bomb would be appropriate - a sticker that looks like a cartoon bomb, where you put it under the seat, with a 5 foot blast radius. Or some plastic toy you zip tie to something or toss it in a bag.
Dork

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:46 pm

I think I would set up shop in the Booby Bar, as that’s where I will be camping. So, maybe during certain hours of the day, I’ll be there to dole out photos, listen to the kill stories, upgrade weapons and like that. The Booby Bar will be a ‘Safe Haven’, and I would hope it would turn into a weird mercenary/assassin hangout.

You might have to make some sort of "safe passage" rule from the Bar. Why would anyone in their right mind go to the one place they are sure to expose themself to their stalker? :shock:

1. The DM does not like adjudicating rules. Don't make him do it. If the players cannot work it out with the DM's assistance, open season may be called on both players. Alternatively, a duel may be called.

Duels held in thunderdome! :D

3. Anyone showing a weapon. When that weapon is put away, the player is no longer available as a target.

If I see someone running around with a watergun in their wasteband, does that count as "showning" or "put away"?

[quote]Upgraded weapon? Maybe start with only a “knifeâ€

capjbadger

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Dork wrote:No witnesses could be difficult out there. Would poisoning someone in a crowded bar, for example, be ok as long as nobody saw you deposit the poison?

Yeah, no witnesses is going to be hard. I see poisoning and small shaped charges being popular.
Bar posioning would be awesome! Slip them a mickey, help them out of the bar "my friend here had one too many", dead target. :twisted:

Badger

capjbadger

Postby misfit » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:06 pm

>>>Knife tends to be up close and personal<<<<

a knife can be thrown....

i'm in...............
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Finnegan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:34 pm

You might have to make some sort of "safe passage" rule from the Bar. Why would anyone in their right mind go to the one place they are sure to expose themself to their stalker?

They wouldn’t Want to, that’s true. But it would be more fun if they had to. I could sweeten the pot by offering a free weapon upgrade at the Bar once or twice a day, to the first Killer who shows up. If you really want the machine gun (super soaker) is it worth the risk to walk into what is most likely a trap?Well, an ambush outside, anyway.

How about, if you want more firepower, you have to come back and report your kill. (Upgrade the weapon?) If you just want to continue your rampage, take your victim’s next target photo, and keep hunting?

How would ‘safe passage’ work? A certain area around the Bar is safe? A certain number of minutes after leaving the Bar?

And I agree, the exposed weapon thing sounds tough. Maybe nix that completely. And I also agree that coming back to do any sort of mandatory reporting is a bad idea.

Whatever leads to the maximum fun and paranoia, I’m all for!

“If you don't regard every single person who passes you as someone who might be after your hide, you just aren't in the spirit of the gameâ€
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Postby Toolmaker » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:45 pm

I'm down, just tell me who to kill. I'll add watergun to my packlist and try to think up something else. Too bad we cant use paintballs :(
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Finnegan » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:49 pm

just tell me who to kill.

That’s the spirit!
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Arriving late in the week

Postby clairedad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 pm

This sounds like fun, but I won't be getting there until Wednesday some time. Does this disqualify me from participating or could I join in once I got there?

Also, I like the idea of just having the person collect the next polaroid from the person they kill and moving on from there. Having to go back and report could be tough, although some incentive to do so would make add another layer to the game.

--C
clairedad

Postby Finnegan » Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:27 pm

No problem jumping in whenever. I imagine it will be somewhat chaotic, which is fine by me.

I realized that I was planning to set up shop at a place where minors can't go, the Booby Bar. Maybe not an issue? The Booby Bar is part of the Terminal City village, near APOKTILIPTIKA. Maybe somewhere else in the village.

Any suggestions? A deserted bridge in the middle of the night, Berlin style?
- Judge Dredd
Finnegan

Meeting place

Postby clairedad » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:15 pm

I think your idea of having one meeting place for a designated time each night is good. That way, if people want to check in they can. Hopefully, it can be somewhere centrally located. Maybe just a spot on the open playa.
clairedad

killer on the playa

Postby lothos 1162 » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:01 pm

Ok I'm in,tell me what we'll need,oh I'm also a sneaky little shit to.Lothos
lothos 1162

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:56 pm

Running around with water pistols/fake guns/fake knives on the playa... yeah, you'll be creating quite a wonderful atmosphere for all the people around you on the playa. Good luck with that!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Next

Return to 2007 Art & Performance