Future Theme - "Back to Basics"

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Would the theme "Back to Basics" be one that you would enjoy?

Hell yeah!!
83%
No way...
17%

Total votes : 18

Future Theme - "Back to Basics"

Postby FabFascist » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:25 pm

With all the hullaballoo that the corporate pavillion is causing, I got to thinking that since the eplaya is monitored by the BMORG, that maybe, if there are enough responses, they might take a hint...

Ideas for what this would mean could be posted here.

For Starters

1. The Man is either on the ground or on a simple platform.

2. Money that would normally go to supplement art could be given to Habitat for Humanity.

3. NO INTERNET

4. Savings could be reflected in lower ticket prices.
FabFascist

Postby AntiM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 2:04 pm

You really think bmorg monitors the eplaya? hah! Not much. This asylum is being run by the inmates for the most part.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:05 pm

I'm with it. No Center Camp, either. No BRC power grid. No mega fireworks display.
Thanks to Addis, I had more free time.
Fat SAM

Postby pbmaniac2000 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:28 pm

Not so much a fan of number 3. Yes i know it would be doing a good thing and all that stuff, but the huge art is one of the main reasons i go to burning man. Burning man without the temple, wouldn't be burning man for me personally.

Just my two cents.
pbmaniac2000

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:18 pm

I'm totally for huge art and for the temple. Is there no way that huge art and the temple can be built without internet, Center Camp, fireworks, lower ticket prices, or the BRC power grid? Why not have a yearly voluntary group who organizes a temple building? Why does everything have to be built by a formal DPW? If DPW didn't have to worry about such a complex infrastructure, what more interesting projects would they be able to put their hands too?

What if one year there was no electricity at Burning Man at all? What if all the sound camps had to be acoustic? What if there were no lights on anywhere on the playa except for personal hand-held stuff? What if there were no fuel powered art cars that year? Maybe that would have been an interesting idea for "Green Man"...

I think that sounds kind of magical.
Fat SAM

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:23 pm

I'm for less BMorg participation. I don't really like most of the things they do anyway. A few things are nice, but i could live without them.
MikeVDS

Postby pbmaniac2000 » Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:58 pm

Fat SAM wrote:I'm totally for huge art and for the temple. Is there no way that huge art and the temple can be built without internet, Center Camp, fireworks, lower ticket prices, or the BRC power grid? Why not have a yearly voluntary group who organizes a temple building? Why does everything have to be built by a formal DPW? If DPW didn't have to worry about such a complex infrastructure, what more interesting projects would they be able to put their hands too?

What if one year there was no electricity at Burning Man at all? What if all the sound camps had to be acoustic? What if there were no lights on anywhere on the playa except for personal hand-held stuff? What if there were no fuel powered art cars that year? Maybe that would have been an interesting idea for "Green Man"...

I think that sounds kind of magical.

I think the idea sounds amazing. I just couldn't see it happening in a million years. Have you ever evened asked a sound camp to turn it down a little? Imagine what they would do if you said no electricity. lol.
pbmaniac2000

Postby Fat SAM » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:42 pm

They would have to adapt or just not go...Imagine the Deep End without dj's...just a massive drum orchestra. I think that would be something to see.
Fat SAM

Postby EB » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:22 am

Love the big art.
Love the Center Camp.
Love the fireworks.
Love the Greeters.
Love the Lamplighters.

Hate the fire dancer show before the burn.

(But I respect how hard they work and the time they put into their craft.)

It's the only time at BM where I feel like a consumer. Back in my first burns in 2000 and 2001, I remember the chaos leading up to the moment when they lit the man as Mardi-gras/carnivale-like - just pure, absolute, seconds-before-New-Years-Eve insanity. People were dancing around the fire perimeter in a circle, singing, pushing, blowing whistles, it was awesome.

Now its all about jockeying for a good seat and 'down in front' bullshit. Seems like gilding the lily to me.
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby Aiee! It burns! » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:25 am

-Nine-foot man
- Several different free events on undisclosed weekends throughout the year
- Best of all, free!
Aiee! It burns!

Postby AntiM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:06 am

EB wrote:Love the big art.
Love the Center Camp.
Love the fireworks.
Love the Greeters.
Love the Lamplighters.

Hate the fire dancer show before the burn.

It's the only time at BM where I feel like a consumer. Back in my first burns in 2000 and 2001, I remember the chaos leading up to the moment when they lit the man as Mardi-gras/carnivale-like - just pure, absolute, seconds-before-New-Years-Eve insanity. People were dancing around the fire perimeter in a circle, singing, pushing, blowing whistles, it was awesome.

Now its all about jockeying for a good seat and 'down in front' bullshit. Seems like gilding the lily to me.

I used to feel much the same way, but we volunteered for fire safety at the regional, and this is the second year we've been tapped for fire safety at the Big Burn. mylarry and I have been doing fuel master, which is basically keeping the dip cans full, and scooping them up at the two minute warning and hauling ass to the perimeter. Kinda exciting, white gas in your hands and fireworks at your back, wondering if you're going to be trampled when everyone surges forward ... oh yeah. We're so busy, we rarely get a chance to pop our heads up and watch the show. Matter of perspective, I guess.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:39 pm

No electricity, no fuel-powered art cars, no center camp, no lights...
Well, that would reduce the population by at least one (me) for sure!

I remember the man on the ground, it was cool, but fire safety issues require that it be on a platform now.

No internet? I know, we all used to exist without the 'net... but it seems like it'd have to be a local San-Fran-only thing, it'd be pretty hard for those of us that live hundreds of miles away to know what the hell was up.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby Fat SAM » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:52 pm

Aye might be missing the sharkasm Cap'n, but I think it's just the playa internet being referred too.
Fat SAM

Postby FabFascist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:44 pm

Fat SAM wrote:Aye might be missing the sharkasm Cap'n, but I think it's just the playa internet being referred too.

Indeed. The only internet I am talking about is on Playa.

One of the greatest feelings, for me, is to put the watch in the glove box, turn off the cell phone, and just let everything go.

If newsies need to connect, then they can get sat phones just like they do for other"big stories". If their coverage of BM isn't that important to their employers, then they can either take the bus and phone it in, or write it after the Burn.

As far as news coming in, well, I know I can get AM radio out there and that there are probably thousands out there with either XM or Sirius.
FabFascist

Postby Captain Goddammit » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:54 pm

Oh.
Yeah, that.
oops.

Yeah, I'll agree with that, I do kinda' like having no internet, no phone, no clock while on the playa. The whole cut off from the outside world for a week thing is pretty cool. You're either at Burning Man or you aren't.

But electricity is neat too. Really neat. It makes lasers, Dr. MegaVolt, toast, margaritas on the boat, and all sorts of extremely cool night-time stuff.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby FabFascist » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:10 pm

[quote="Captain Goddammit"]Oh. But electricity is neat too. Really neat. It makes lasers, Dr. MegaVolt, toast, margaritas on the boat, and all sorts of extremely cool night-time stuff.[/quote]

Then they can be self-sufficient... I am not talking about eliminating electricity.. I am talking about minimizing infrastructure.

Mind you, this would not be a permanent thing - just a Theme. I think it would be fascinating to see what came of it.
FabFascist

Postby latextured » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:59 am

EB wrote:Hate the fire dancer show before the burn.

Ok - I don't really "hate" the fire dancers but yes, from jockeying for a spot to the grand conflagration the intermediate time is a snooze. Burning of the man could stand to be simplified a bit.
latextured

Return to Get Involved!