My First Burn/Going Alone

My First Burn/Going Alone

Postby violentspecter » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:16 am

2007 is my first burn, and I'm going by myself.

Should I be worried?

I want to have a great time but I feel like I may be rejected by some of the more hedonistic and veteran burners in attendance......

Any suggestions for making connections/making the most of it are greatly appreciated.

8)
violentspecter

Re: My First Burn/Going Alone

Postby ibdave » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:26 am

violentspecter wrote:2007 is my first burn, and I'm going by myself.

Should I be worried?

I want to have a great time but I feel like I may be rejected by some of the more hedonistic and veteran burners in attendance......

Any suggestions for making connections/making the most of it are greatly appreciated. 8)

Welcome to the world of Burning Man

Worried?? why... You'll be just super if your smart about doing it right..

Rejected by some?? Sure by a few. But for the most part you can give and receive a hug from anyone any time any place...

Look for others that are going in your neck of the woods.

Come with a open mind and NO EXPECTATIONS.....

And may you leave a changed person as I did many years ago....

8) 8) 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby emotion_sickness » Sat Jun 02, 2007 1:45 pm

fyi...

im attempting to assemble a camp of first timers who are also on their own...not an official theme camp, just a group of people camping together. ill be posting our whereabouts monday morning at center camp, and ill be in touch with interested parties just prior to my leaving town and heading down there. you're more than welcome to join us, as there is a pretty good interest in it there should be a bunch of us! PM me if you have any ?'s. im doing the same thing, coming down all by my lonesome for my first burn. should be interesting to say the least!

look for the Loner Virgin thread...im not sure how to get the link in here and i forgot where it was anyways lol
Why?
emotion_sickness

lonely virgin

Postby dancemaker » Sat Jun 02, 2007 9:56 pm

The lonely virgin camp is a terrific idea it makes me very happy to see someone coordinating it. Of course you will be surrounded by many veteran burners who will help you out if you need anything. Just ask!
Welcome to the community!
Dancing across the Universe
dancemaker

Postby Thecatman » Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:01 pm

My first burn was solo in 02 and stayed in my wifes Jeep Cherokee. I arrived late Friday and while driving around trying to find a camping spot, I had three offers to join others. Wish I took one of them up. Got aquainted with some of my neighbors. Second time was in 04. My wife and I went in her Cherokee. We arrived Wedensday afternoon. That time the first person that asked us to join them, we did. We joined them and had a great time. This year I'm going solo and taking my p/u truck with a shell to have more room. I'll join anybody who asks me this year. You should have a great time, but use common sence. If you camp alone, try getting to your neighbors and lock things up when you tour the city and playa. Lock your bike if you leave it parked.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby robotland » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:16 am

A really, REALLY good way to interact with fellow burners and be practically guaranteed to have a positive experience is to volunteer with one or more of the many, many groups that thrive on enthusiastic newcomers. Check out the long list with descriptions, linked to the main page. Or just approach places like The Artery, Lamplighters or Media Mecca on-playa. They won't bite. Welcome, and have fun!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby LeChatNoir » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:53 am

Hello violentspecter

Despite my actions and interactions here, I am a very shy person in new situations. I have to get comfortable to really come out of my “bagâ€
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby Thecatman » Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:05 pm

[quote="robotland"]A really, REALLY good way to interact with fellow burners and be practically guaranteed to have a positive experience is to volunteer with one or more of the many, many groups that thrive on enthusiastic newcomers. Check out the long list with descriptions, linked to the main page. Or just approach places like The Artery, Lamplighters or Media Mecca on-playa. They won't bite. Welcome, and have fun![/quote] Robotland hit the nail on the head. Volunteer! Did'nt do that the first two times but this year I'm going to lok up the recycle camp.
Thecatman

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby itwazed » Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:21 am

The first time i went in '00 i went with my roomates and we ended up taking in these two guys from NY who were beyond unprepared, the second time in '03 i went alone....i had a great experiance for the most part but for me the whole burn just seemed a lil off that year...this year im going with my two brothers twazed and were gonna take over the playa...if your looking for a spot to chill for a day or the whole week stop by camp de la twazed we make u feel at home.

Peace, Love, and Twazed
Fly Fat ASS!!! FLY!!!!!
He smoked a phat cronic blunt.
itwazed

Postby blyslv » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:39 am

Yes, you shuold be worried.

so much can go wrong!!!!

(but rarely does, just be prepared).

the best way to assure acceptance is to be young, buff and promiscuios.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby DJmoYst » Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:31 pm

this is also my first time - yes virginity is BLISS

i am going with one other virgin and my bro iTwazed, a vet. I think you should try to connect up with as many vets a possible and pick their brain. they always have good ideas, and sarcasm is a byproduct.
DJ MoYst aka S-DOT-K ~ Peace Love & Drum 'N' Bass
DJmoYst

Postby flipper » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:24 am

Loner Virgin is a good idea, except I'd prefer the attitude of "solo" vs. "loner"

All you have to do to avoid being lonely on the playa is that principle of "participate." Volunteer, help your neighbors, take classes. Talk to strangers.

There are all types on the playa, and most folks respect differences - they really aren't there to judge your experience, but to have their own. While you sound like you are a little less likely to fit in with, say, Death Guild or the DPW crew, well maybe you'll find the healer-yoga crowd more to your flavor, or the aternative energy folks, or ballroom dancers, or who knows.

There is something about you that made you want to go to the playa. Start with visiting the camps that match that spirit and explore from there. As long as your heart is open, you will find what you were looking for and what you didn't know you were looking for.
Burning Man is about being part of a community. Unfortunately, it's a community of people who can't get up before 1 p.m. - The Onion
flipper

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:14 am

The crowd is so diverse that just about everyone finds people they don't get along with and people they do. Try new things or do things you know you enjoy. Sure if you want to surround yourself by the people you don't get along with, you can have a bad time, but there is so much there most people should have no problem finding places they fit in.
MikeVDS

Postby DJmoYst » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:09 pm

is it normal for them to point and laugh?
DJmoYst

Postby MikeVDS » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:14 pm

If not, then you're doing something wrong.
MikeVDS

Postby Brendan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:26 am

I like that last post.... its good to make people laugh i suppose

i'm also a first timer, goin with a group of long time burners, fantastic, can't wait to feel neveda sand on my feet or up my nose or whereever it goes....

c ye all there, lets burn the irish bar~!!! hazaa
Brendan

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:46 pm

can't wait to feel neveda sand on my feet or up my nose or whereever it goes....

It'll go everywhere. Also keep in mind the ground chews up peoples feet. I have been told it is the basic (as opposed to acidic) nature of the dust. People do vinegar washes to try to counteract the base and save their feet if they go barefoot.
MikeVDS

Postby cdchang » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:25 pm

My first burn too! Taking my 16 year old daughter, but plan to meet up there with a friend of hers that went last year ( a strapping boy, so I've got some man power to help set up camp!) A few others are going in separate vehicles, so I'm hoping we can drive in together or at least know everyone's whereabouts they are so we're close. I'm excited, but a bit nervous - mom out there on the playa settin' up the Monkey Hut! Woot Woot! Like I tell my friends (who think I'm crazy...) I'll either come back saying "What the HELL was I thinking??" or "Holy crap, can't wait till next year!!"
cdchang

Postby MikeVDS » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:52 pm

"What the HELL was I thinking??" or "Holy crap, can't wait till next year!!"

Probably both.
MikeVDS

Postby gyre » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:47 am

Just make sure people register at playa info.
Most don't.
Then you can find them.

If you get there at the right time and are trying to adjust to a black and white refugee camp coated with dust, this beach party off the rails, that's when you know you've fucked up.

Then it gets to be fun.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby DJmoYst » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:07 pm

MikeVDS wrote:

If not, then you're doing something wrong.

hmmm....

i think i can do the right thing... no... i lie .... no thinking involved, i will guarantee there will be much pointing and laughing at my expense. Thats how i like it. A true comedian.
DJmoYst

Postby supersonin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:09 pm

hi friends....I have been enjoying reading about how people are feeling about their first burn, my husband and I are going this year for the first time and we are thrilled. I have been so busy getting prepared that I forget that I am scared. All of the vets I have talked to seem so welcoming, its great. I am working and camping with my uncle David on the temple crew and have been picking the brains of all of the vets on the crew....from what I hear, "solo" burners get adopted pretty quickly......check out the "lost penguin cafe"
supersonin

Postby supersonin » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:12 pm

ohh, I just met the "lamplighters" at our last work day and they said anyone can sign up any day to be a lamplighter.....you just sign up on their big white board in the morning for that evening.......I think we are going to do that....also, for volunteering, you can be a temple guardian.
supersonin

Postby sunn » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:13 pm

1. Read all the first timer info on the board. Good tips.
2. Remember there will be lots of other virgins there.
3. Relax and enjoy each day as an amazing experience. I think meeting new people and experiencing it for the first time will be awesome for you.
4. No one will laugh at you. It is a very accepting environment. It's what I love about BM. You can be anything you want there.
5. Come and see me if you ever feel you need some TLC, I'm the girl bartender at Summer of Love. I'm a good listener!!!

(At Coral Reef and 9:00)
sunn

Postby gyre » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:19 pm

What is the Summer of Love going to be like?
Someone gave me some posters for a reunion concert by that name in cali, when I was in the mountains of arkansas.
Great posters.

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby StevenGoodman » Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:42 pm

sunn wrote:4. No one will laugh at you. It is a very accepting environment. It's what I love about BM. You can be anything you want there.
(At Coral Reef and 9:00)

Well, mostly. :) Last year I had a BLM officer laughing at me! I had met him earlier, and I was trying to walk back to my camp...trying...

So toasted I could barely walk my bike. He just laughed at me and pointed the way was trying to walk. :arrow:
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby nocturnal_steve » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:08 am

gyre wrote:What is the Summer of Love going to be like?

It's a step back in time to the sixties with bar and grill, peace and love and all that hippie/commune/Woodstock stuff we all wish we were would have been in on.
When I die I don't want no part of heaven
I would not do heavens work well
I pray the devil comes and takes me
To stand in the fiery furnaces of hell

Bruce Springsteen 1995
nocturnal_steve

Burning Since: 1997

Postby nocturnal_steve » Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:09 am

gyre wrote:What is the Summer of Love going to be like?

Our camp's a step back in time to the sixties with bar and grill, peace and love and all that hippie/commune/Woodstock stuff we all wish we were would have been in on.

Come by and see us.
When I die I don't want no part of heaven
I would not do heavens work well
I pray the devil comes and takes me
To stand in the fiery furnaces of hell

Bruce Springsteen 1995
nocturnal_steve

Burning Since: 1997

haha

Postby dbxwanderer » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:51 am

I'm a Wandering Virgin myself. This will be my first year attending burning man. Originally I had planned on coming for the last few days of the event but something tells me that I'll have a better time if I go for the whole event.

I'll look for that Lonely Virgin page... I'm not really sure what to expect myself but I'm comin on my motorcycle. I wonder if there are any biker groups going that I could set up camp with?

-Wanderer
dbxwanderer

Postby gyre » Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:59 am

There are a small number of people that come on bikes, but it's mostly cagers because of the amount of stuff to carry.

gyre

Next

Return to 2007 Theme