The place you go when you're losing your shit....

The place you go when you're losing your shit....

Postby vlw202 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:53 am

What is that place called, the one where you go when you've lost it, or having a bad bad bad time?

Is it The Sanctuary?

And how does one get in contact with those folks?

Thanks!
vlw202

Postby Bob » Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:55 am

The Miners Club.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:53 am

When I am about to lose my shit, I visit the porta-pottie.

Seriously, there are a number of chill spaces on the playa on any given year.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby actiongrl » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:32 am

The best thing to do if you're feeling like you're going crackers is to find a Ranger and ask for help.
actiongrl

Postby misfit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:09 am

go to one of the ESD stations, at 3:00 or 9:00. we can either run you over to sancturary, or give you some chill time with us at the station... no worries losing your shit, there's always someone around to help....
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby DJmoYst » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:13 am

You can come lounge in our peaceful Camp de la Twazed, we will have a large enclosed area with pillows covering the entire floor. All is welcome. Losing it or not we are always open.

Come find the the true meaning of Twazed http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=19648

utwazed?
DJ MoYst aka S-DOT-K ~ Peace Love & Drum 'N' Bass
DJmoYst

Postby Isotopia » Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:38 pm

go to one of the ESD stations, at 3:00 or 9:00. we can either run you over to sancturary, or give you some chill time with us at the station... no worries losing your shit, there's always someone around to help....

My experience has been that ESD would rather not be burdened with with altered folks and will, as a matter of routine call the Rangers.

BTW, severely drunk people need not apply. Sanctuary does not translate into 'babysitter' as some seem to think.
Isotopia

Re: The place you go when you're losing your shit....

Postby Sensei » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:24 pm

vlw202 wrote:What is that place called, the one where you go when you've lost it, or having a bad bad bad time?

The ThunderDome.
Sensei

Postby misfit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:41 pm

>>>>ESD would rather not be burdened with with altered folks<<<<

its no bother. we would rather have them stop by, than wander the playa. if the burner turns violent then yes, a ranger should be notified as well as ESD...
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby Captain Goddammit » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:36 pm

Sensei wrote:
vlw202 wrote:What is that place called, the one where you go when you've lost it, or having a bad bad bad time?

The ThunderDome.

LOL! Yeah, that's the place!

I'm almost a little worried that someone seems to be PLANNING to need this service! Unless perhaps they are just wanting to help provide it.
"Whaoomph! Whaomph! Burbbleburbblepattpattpattpatt... WHAAAAAaaoooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa........!!!"
Top fuel dragster, by Elliot Naess
Captain Goddammit

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Fuck The Vehicle Passes

Postby unjonharley » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:09 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:
I'm almost a little worried that someone seems to be PLANNING to need this service! Unless perhaps they are just wanting to help provide it.

\/
If your that close to the edge, Please stay home..
unjonharley

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:58 pm

ESD is there to help, Rangers as well. Use the resources available, either way you'll get triaged into the right option.

later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:04 pm

What about a Union of Chill Rooms, with a map showing the location of each one, that might be handed out to all participants? Quick! Find the nearest chill room! This man needs ambiance! Stat!
Ugly Dougly

Postby Dork » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:13 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:What about a Union of Chill Rooms, with a map showing the location of each one, that might be handed out to all participants? Quick! Find the nearest chill room! This man needs ambiance! Stat!

Expecting people to have the map handy or have it memorized well enough to remember when they're freaking out might be asking a bit much. Probably better to ally with ESD or park in really easy to find locations with huge distinctive signs and lighting that can be seen from far away.
Dork

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:31 pm

While it's a good idea to have the location of Sanctuary handy in the event of some kind of psychadelic/hallucinogenic emergency, it's also a good idea to make sure that you and your campmates are exercising the kind of caution on the playa that will keep you from ever having to use it.

Wait until they post the locations of the various theme camps (my guess would be early August). If you don't see Sanctuary listed directly, look for Entheon Village (I believe they were camped there last year).

But as others have mentioned - if you or your campmates should suddenly find yourselves having trouble with a particular situation or reality, do not hesitate to talk to a ranger or one of the emergency services folks. They'll take good care of you, and help keep you out of trouble (unless you were in a situation where you were a threat to yourself and/or others).

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby thejohnstamos » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:49 am

While not always used our camp last year set up a "Buddy System" if we were traveling in a group....any person could duck out- but if there had been a freak out there was someone else that knew....

Knowing that sanctuary exists isn't the same as planning on using it. What if you saw someone else that may need it?
thejohnstamos

Postby DJmoYst » Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:59 am

my bother itwazed gave me some incite on how it is a burning man.. he siad this:

no matter how bad you get there is always someone (maybe the only person that can) will help you.

I view this a a very spiritual event, and that most people will be operating on all senses enabling them to fell your distress and do everything in their power to help. i know i will.
DJ MoYst aka S-DOT-K ~ Peace Love & Drum 'N' Bass
DJmoYst

Postby unjonharley » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:00 pm

While working on the wards, I learned the fast way to restore realality.. When some one is quote loseing it unquote, We would grab the and strap then down to some rings on the floor.. Even the wildest nut soon relized that they should not " lose it "..

So, Tell you what I can help you with.. I will bring a roll of duct tape.. Some one can cut you losse after a while..

Again, If you are living so close to the edge that you need to know in advance where some one is that will rescue you AGAIN.. Burning Man is no place for you to go.. People go there to have fun and not have to be fucked with by the NUTs of the world..

This is from a person that as spent time on both sides of the wall.. I have put in many years reaching out to others.. Now let me have a week in peace
unjonharley

Postby mdmf007 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:48 pm

Last year I got to wrestle with a psychotic breakdown. This guy rules

This fool was on Ecstasy, Shrooms, Cocaine, Weed, and Drunk. Needles to say he was not having a good time. That was Thursday Early AM.

I hear he ended up in reno the next day at the hospital, and missed the rest of thie burn.

SO Like I tell my buddies - Have ablast at BM, Have the biggest blast of the year in fact, but pace yourself, know your limits, and use a modicum of common sense.

If impaired already Watch out for your friends, and prevent a downward spiral before it is a problem.

All veterans know that when you talk to someone who knows a tiny but about BM, they assume that OD deaths are the norm. Lets keep it that way

later all
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby MikeVDS » Thu Jun 14, 2007 2:56 pm

SO Like I tell my buddies - Have ablast at BM, Have the biggest blast of the year in fact, but pace yourself, know your limits, and use a modicum of common sense.

That's some of the best advice. Goes for not only drugs but your exposure to the environment and exhaustion. You have a week to do it all so pace yourself and know what you can handle. If you don't know what you can handle take it easy at first so you learn your limits without going past them. If you're trying things you haven't before, make sure you have people you trust around who know what they are doing.
MikeVDS

Postby blyslv » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:36 am

unjonharley wrote:.. I will bring a roll of duct tape.. Some one can cut you losse after a while..

Are you flirting with me?

tee hee
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:36 am

If you meet a clean and sober person who wants to hang out at your camp, don't cut him off, he may become a lifesaver.
Ugly Dougly

Postby unjonharley » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:01 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:If you meet a clean and sober person who wants to hang out at your camp, don't cut him off, he may become a lifesaver.

\/
if you want to speak recovery.. that is a different ball of wax.. recovery is spoken in my camp..

6/22/62
unjonharley

Postby gyre » Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:13 am

Color coding for certain general types of camps sounds like a very good idea to me, especially at night.
Just a colored lamp could help a lot, especially with the poor signage most camps have.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby dj_john69 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:44 am

The key to getting fucked up is NOT to end up in a "sanctuary". If you cant handle your drugs or alcohol...dont do them. Seems pretty simple to me.
dj_john69

Camp Name: Root Society & Osiris & BRS

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:24 am

dj_john69 wrote:The key to getting fucked up is NOT to end up in a "sanctuary". If you cant handle your drugs or alcohol...dont do them. Seems pretty simple to me.

Not everyone requires sanctuary by choice. Shit happens as they say. I am all for radical self reliance and telling folks that they need to be able to handle their shit etc etc. But sometimes there are situations that are not expected. I'll never forget the time I was at Sound Factory in the early 90s.. about 4AM I'm having a good ol time and decided that the bananas on the bar looked tasty. I decided to eat two.. not good considering someone decided to inject a little acid into em. Needless to say when the club closed at 12 noon I was put on the streets of NYC when I should have been put somewhere safer. I made out OK in the end and have some wild pics stored in my head for flashing back to but I would have been much better off with a safe place to chill. Even though I do not plan on using sanctuary I am glad that its there just in case someone needs it.

As always folks.. keep your drinks in your hand. Be careful who you accept food and drink from. And watch who you allow to squirt you with stuff. And for those that smoke.. don't smoke it unless you see it rolled or packed.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby robotland » Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:52 am

....and remember to keep hittin' that water bottle. Just this simple preventative measure can make the difference between ambulatory and meltdown.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby pinemom » Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:58 am

...and watch out for Dr.Gonzo and the spirit of Hunter S. Thompson, this is not Fear and Loathing in BRC, do not call 911!

....was strange, the night I was "mistakingly" dosed at the Man Burn!
One, I didnt know it happened, two, I dont "remember" the whole night....pisses me off a wee bit as it was during the man burn...now all I have is pictures to know I was there..( I took them).
And all things concidered it was my FIRST man burn, I really wouldve liked remembering it!
This year I will be in the inner circle with my Fire conclave,
safe ~n~ sound and a way bigger picture to REMEMBER!!!!!!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:41 am

I don't remember this thread being about prevention or recovery. You're at your camp and someone comes up and says: "My friend is freaking out. What should I do? Where do I take them?" What do you do?
Ugly Dougly

Postby Archantael » Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:24 am

In regards to people having issues while in altered states of awareness the very last person I'd contact or want to have contacted on my behalf is a Ranger. I've had two unexpected "trips" on the playa and both of them led to a Ranger interaction. Not only were they not helpful in the least, some of what happened ended up being posted online after the event. Because of that experience and based on direct observations along with things I've come across online regarding similar situations, I have a very low confidence level in the Rangers and their abilities to manage anyone in an altered state. Going it alone would even be preferable.

Now that being said...in the case of sexual assault cases and theft, the Rangers are awesome. I wouldn't hesitate to bring them in for those kinds of issues.
Archantael

Next

Return to 2007 Theme Camps