registered theme camp list?

registered theme camp list?

Postby littlemissfancypants » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:46 am

Hi there,

This year is going to be my first time going to BM, and rather than just be like "hey help I need a theme camp!" or anything like that, I wanted to know if there was a master list of registered camps, and if one can search it.

Searchable by say visual art theme, music theme, sport theme, sex theme, etc. There are a few things I'm looking for in a camp...

Oh and do all camps provide food? Free or not, doesn't really matter. Do I need to bring ALL the food myself? And do all camps provide shelter, or again, is that something I need to provide for entirely?

Thanks!
littlemissfancypants

Burning Since: 2007

Postby CapSmashy » Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:54 am

http://www.burningman.com/themecamps/07 ... umber.html

The master theme camp/village list.

Unless it has changed, its an alphabetical listing with a brief description supplied by camp organizers.

Food, shelter, etc are furnished/not furnished on a camp to camp basis. I'm sure most, if not all, will have at least a communal shade structure of some sort for the main interaction areas.

You will want your own personal space as well, which will need to be shaded and set up as if you are camping solo. Radical self reliance does not end because you joined a camp. You are talking up to a week or more in a harsh desert environment with other people in close proximity. Fatigue, heat and the host of other daily trials of the environment and how you are physically and mentally impacted by it are the perfect catalyst for building friction and irritation among camp members. Most of that can probably be overcome by retreating to a personal space to refocus yourself, but in case it can't, the option of having the gear necessary to move out should be planned for.

The camp I am in will have (well...I think we will) a basic communal kitchen type area, but meals, what you want to eat, etc are up to the individuals. That of course does not rule out organized pot luck dinners or sharing meals with others, etc. Planning, preparing and serving up meals for 30 to 100 people 2 to 3 times a day without having the necessary experience in the kitchen is a recipe for disaster. I can manage cooking for 10 to 12 without a problem, but you are eating my menu of what I know I can cook on that scale.

I guess what I am trying to say is plan accordingly. Even if the camp you are in says breakfast and dinner included in camp dues, you might seriously want to consider bringing your own anyway. Keep it limited to fast and simple meals, like backpacker meals or similar, but bring it. If you are the lone voice of dissent objecting to the seasonings or ingredients that 40 others think are perfect and tasty, you may be told to deal with it or go hungry. Harsh, yes, but if it were my kitchen, its probably what you would hear.

Also, KP for that many is no fun at all. Sure its (well...it should be) a rotated responsibility, but cleaning up after 50 people is still a tedious process that occupies your time.

You will probably incur additional expense over the ticket price and your own gearing up for the event. Theme camps and villages have infrastructure costs that are typically defrayed by all of the participants of the camp. If you are in a bar oriented camp, like I am, you have the basic infrastructure costs that all camps have on some level coupled with the cost of stocking and running an open bar for the masses. Also, since we are an alliance of camps, there will be some shared expense over and above the individual camp for a much larger infrastructure serving multiple camps.
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby littlemissfancypants » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:41 pm

Great! Thank you so much that totally hit the nail on the head!! :D
littlemissfancypants

Postby pinemom » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:55 am

Capn'smashy...boy you really did HIT the Nail right on the HEAD!
I really like the fact that you SOOOOO Get IT!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby CapSmashy » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:02 am

pinemom wrote:Capn'smashy...boy you really did HIT the Nail right on the HEAD!
I really like the fact that you SOOOOO Get IT!

I've had good teachers. :D
CapSmashy

Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby pinemom » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:15 am

ahhhh
smooches! :P
pinemom

Postby bdeywoo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:12 am

On another note, would I be correct in assuming that if my theme camp is up on the website as a registered 2007 theme camp its official? I've not recieved anything form BM except that they recieved my plans, but the camp is listed. I'm thinking that assumtion is correct and that because the last day for registration was only a couple of days ago they just have not sent out the offical invites? sound about right?
bdeywoo

Postby falk » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:26 pm

Submission deadline was only a few days ago. I suppose they could have a theme camp list already. Placement won't be for at least another month or two.

ETA: This doesn't look anywhere near complete. This is probably the list of camps that got their applications in ahead of schedule.
falk

Postby pinemom » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:23 am

yes the camps listed are probably the first ones that sent in the questionaire, ie...like we did the opening day of submissions...I didnt actually even get our confirmation via email till the day they were posted so If you registered somewhere in the middle...
I mean thats alot of planning for BMORG....give it time It will make it.
but if you dont see anything on officail list dsay in a week or two I would ask!
pinemom

Postby Killbuck » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:39 pm

According to the Official Placement Team Notifications as of today, announcements of actual placements will begin at or just after end of July.
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Return to 2007 Theme Camps