Adding art to the streets of BRC????

Adding art to the streets of BRC????

Postby Romeo_Freakenstine » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:31 pm

I have an idea to put out there.
What if we could make designs that could then be placed around a 50 gallon barrel and then pulled behind an art car or pushed by people around the streets leaving patterns behind?
It would wor5k somthng like this;
Romeo_Freakenstine

Postby emotion_sickness » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:36 pm

Just do it & see what the response is...i think it looks cool!
emotion_sickness

Postby MikeVDS » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 pm

I love the idea. :)
MikeVDS

Postby Rocket75377 » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:05 am

Wow, that is really cool. Shoot, I'll help.
I am the people your parents warned you about.

"How would Horatio Alger have handled this?"
Rocket75377

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:08 am

Depends on playa conditions, dust or hard-tack - and of course the mercy of the wind.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby sputnik » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:12 am

and it would be gone within minutes of being layed down, especially later in the week. If you're OK with that, then go for it.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Teo del Fuego » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:55 am

great idea...just make something you can pull along behind yer bike
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

More thoughts

Postby Romeo_Freakenstine » Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:17 pm

I was thinking the only place to do it would be the streets because we don’t want to brake up anymore playa and add to the dust.
I like the idea that it will only last for a little while or that only parts of it will remain after people walk over it. It will make then wonder, “just what was that???â€
Romeo_Freakenstine

Postby LeChatNoir » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:05 pm

Somewhere I read that the folks at Kinetic Steam Workswere talking about placing modified rubber cleats on their steam traction engine this year, so that it would leave designs as it rolled across the playa.

I remember seeing the tracks the engine left on the open playa last year. They stayed there for a while.

edit to add:

So yes, I think your idea is a good one and will give you some interesting results, especially in places where the playa is looser. How would you get the deisgn in the rubber? I'm curious about your approach.
The New and Improved Black Cat... now with 25% more blather
LeChatNoir

Postby treetiger » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:11 pm

maybe try cutting up bicycle tires into interesting designs and then gluing them to your wheel/barrel, or using reeeaaaally strong glue and rope to make patterns. (I can see donisaur foot prints.) maybe dut up strips of carpet and glue it down that way on your barrel. Welding is great if you have the connections and stuff; but these ideas might be a little more user/inventor friendly. Even some way that you could tweek your shoes (bigfoot) might work. Hope to see your patterns on the playa!! You go!!---Peace
treetiger

Postby robotland » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:13 am

How about modifying a lawn roller? One of the plastic type that you fill with water would be light enough to transport, and then you'd also have a drink handy! Cut hunks out of tire rubber (always some of those around!) and glue to the barrel with Barge Cement or GOOP. Or if you want to get REALLY adventurous, cast a "mat" of design out of silicone and wrap it around your roller.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 am

dont forget the more desgn your trying to press at one time - the more mass and weight your roller will need.

i.e. a bicycle tire has a contact patch of about 4 square inches, and on my bike a load of about 110 pounds on each tire, or 30 pounds per inch of contact. it leaves pretty detailed prints from my knobbies, so i bet you could get away with a load of as little as 10 pounds per square inch.

I was thinking that message of some type imprinted would be cool, like a couple of repeating sentences with designs all over. -

"follow me to the party - follow me to the party" over and over would be cool, and short lived if people are following the message.
later
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby AntiM » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:58 am

Hehehehe, you said "Knobbies."
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Bob » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:48 am

Even the crane & water trucks don't usually leave discernible tracks on the playa. I'd coat the tires w/ ink and run over people.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

What I've been working on

Postby Romeo_Freakenstine » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:23 pm

OK, I was trying for cheep and fast, and here is what I came up with.
I used cardboard cut out 12 circles glued them in sets of 3 cut out a 2 inch dia. hole in the center of each to run a dowel thought when it is all together.
I made the skin two thicknesses of card board.
I used hot glue to place all the circular spines.
reinforced everything with tape, then covered the hole thing with a single layer of felt.
I glued the felt to the card board using spray adhesive.
Then cut the pattern I wanted to put on out of the same felt but made it 3 layers thick.
I used rubber cement and spray adhesive to keep it in place.
When I had the design finished I coated the whole thing with fiberglass resin.
It sinks into the felt and hardens up fast and very strong.
My plan for making it heave enough to work is to fill it with sand when I get to where ever I want to use it, that way I don't have to carry around a heavy cylinder.
You can check out some pics of what I've been doing at;

Romeo_Freakenstine

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:28 am

While I think the idea is great I think you will not be able to get anything "pressed" into the surface in that manner. The playa is very fine, this tends to make it VERY hard and tightly packed. I don't think the cardboard is going to do it. Maybe the cardboard idea could be used on a beach somewheres. Alot of weight is going to have to be applied to get something in the roads that will leave any sort of depth. A 55 gallon drum loaded might start.. as mentioned even some of the larger vehicles don't leave much of an impression.

Hows this for an idea drift.. add art to the people on the streets of BRC.

Do not run them over to do this.. serious MOOP problem. A roller with rubber designs inked and rolled across the backs of willing participants would be nice.

Someone mentioned about getting designs into rubber.. possibly LeC.. I have machined it here and there.. high spindle speed and lots of coolant does the trick. You want to use a 2 flute cutter with deep flutes like you would use for high speed aluminum cutting.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Return to 2007 Art & Performance