Name changers on ePlaya. do you like them?

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Name changers on ePlaya. do you like them?

love it
20%
hate them
No votes
hate it
47%
dont care
No votes
dont care
12%
never thought about it
22%

Total votes : 51

Postby Angry Butterfly » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:40 pm

Dr. Pyro, you might have to fight that out with Dr. Alverez, who is a real doctor, and a real pyro. Fortunately, he goes by LoveGrenenade, Dr. Alverez, and Dr. Destiny, so it shouldn't be a problem:)
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:59 pm

I've changed my name here on eplaya once. That was just to see what it would be like to try it and also to add flavor to the characters (avatars) stories. For the most part though, DE FACTO has been a great alterego in that sense (as I've explained in other posts) it's a safe medium for me to work with on topics that can be rather sensitive. It allows me to push the envelope of eplaya in it's new form (without going over board) to see what the limits and boundries are.

Sort of like being on the Playa itself.
DE FACTO

Postby Araceli » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:32 pm

Your work with topics has done a fine job of turning people away from the eplaya. And you like to add flavor to your character's stories? This makes you a de facto liar. And if you were sensitive you would listen to the chorus of community complaints against you.
Araceli

Postby ecliptic » Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:43 pm

I saw someone else write this earlier, and I sort of dismissed it at the time. But the more of DE FACTOs posts I read, the more I believe he is also WillSmallPenisRoger and LarryHarveysHat. One in the same. Am I alone in this?

As far as my name goes, I used to post as IslandMan. Up until they changed the boards anyway.
ecliptic

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:13 pm

Araceli wrote:Your work with topics has done a fine job of turning people away from the eplaya. And you like to add flavor to your character's stories? This makes you a de facto liar. And if you were sensitive you would listen to the chorus of community complaints against you.

ecliptic wrote:I saw someone else write this earlier, and I sort of dismissed it at the time. But the more of DE FACTOs posts I read, the more I believe he is also WillSmallPenisRoger and LarryHarveysHat. One in the same. Am I alone in this?

As far as my name goes, I used to post as IslandMan. Up until they changed the boards anyway.

I'm sure you both dont belive me but alas, you are posting in a thread I posted originally months ago. My post are not as bad as you think. Though you may not think so now, you will a month or 2 from now. Just as you are posting on this thread today.

My intentions are well and have created some positive outcomes. If anyone has left, it's not just because of me but perhaps dealing with a state of denial when I speak of the truth. (I'm sure some are going to get pretty upset by my saying that.)

And besides, there are those who like to do just as you say and are still having a hard time comming out about it;

Badger wrote:I don't know about the multiple personalities part.

I do have another persona which I had to create because initially the new version of this board wouldn't let me go with my original. Emily asked me if I wanted to get rid of it and I decided against it because I do like arguing with myself at times. That's probably another personality quirk altogether..
DE FACTO

Postby Araceli » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:34 pm

So what, you identified your sock puppet. Whoopee!
Who in the hell are you to identify "truth" to anyone when you've already admitted your lying just to pump up your avatars and your ego?

One person's definition of truth may not be shared even by the person standing next to them. Now let's take a look at the subject you claim to be speaking of. From the venerable Merriam-Webster online dictionary:

Main Entry: truth
Pronunciation: 'trüth
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural truths /'trü[th]z, 'trüths/
Etymology: Middle English trewthe, from Old English trEowth fidelity; akin to Old English trEowe faithful -- more at TRUE
Date: before 12th century
1 a archaic : FIDELITY, CONSTANCY b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance
2 a (1) : the state of being the case : FACT (2) : the body of real things, events, and facts : ACTUALITY (3) often capitalized : a transcendent fundamental or spiritual reality b : a judgment, proposition, or idea that is true or accepted as true <truths of thermodynamics> c : the body of true statements and propositions
3 a : the property (as of a statement) of being in accord with fact or reality b chiefly British : TRUE 2 c : fidelity to an original or to a standard
4 capitalized, Christian Science : GOD
- in truth : in accordance with fact : ACTUALLY

Do you really know the subject your speaking about? If one was to break down each definition and apply it to you, the results would be the same. Your nothing more than a liar and manipulator, pushing your skewed vision of truth on a group that simply doesn't want to hear it, doesn't have to hear it, and has asked you to stop. But will you stop? No, your ego won't let you. You have to pump up those avatars of yours and your fragile ego with it. I think you need to take your own advice and get a clue before foisting your delusional state on the rest of us.
Araceli

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:43 pm

Wow. I think you may need to calm down a little and get a grip. It's a message board.

As far as the lying thing goes, (and I'm sure you're not going to) it would be nice if you were to give an example of just what the lie is.

2. My avatars are no different than the others here. If you think differently then please show an example.

3. I use the same dictionary.

4. you sound like the same person that blasts off as usual and i suspect you are because you only have 3 posts. :lol: ("sockie") ha. you're funny.
DE FACTO

Postby ecliptic » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:50 pm

Hey DE FACTO, you said you changed your eplaya name once. It didn't by any chance used to be Chunking did it? IslandMan used to like poking him with a stick to see what would come out next. I can see the similarities between you and him. You should look up some of his posts on the old boards. You two would have a lot to talk about.
ecliptic

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:56 pm

ecliptic wrote:Hey DE FACTO, you said you changed your eplaya name once. It didn't by any chance used to be Chunking did it? IslandMan used to like poking him with a stick to see what would come out next. I can see the similarities between you and him. You should look up some of his posts on the old boards. You two would have a lot to talk about.

Not much intersted in the old, only the new.

And I've read the old board already. what makes you think after all I've read and posted on this bbs makes you think diffrent. you are under/over estimating yourself. move on past me and enjoy everybody else on the board.
DE FACTO

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:59 pm

Last edited by DE FACTO on Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DE FACTO

Postby ecliptic » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:07 pm

Yep, that's Chunking alright.
ecliptic

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:12 pm

ecliptic wrote:Yep, that's Chunking alright.

As someone else here said, <Yawn>
DE FACTO

Postby Araceli » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:15 pm

Like it or not, you are named as the top annoyance on the eplaya. The community can't look past you for very long. It's like looking at the mountains with a city dump in front of you. The view in the distance is pretty but the immediate stench forces you away.
Araceli

Postby ecliptic » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:16 pm

Yeah, you're right to yawn at the end of your own post. Seems like that's usually where I see them.
ecliptic

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:17 pm

ecliptic wrote:Yeah, you're right to yawn at the end of your own post. Seems like that's usually where I see them.

Yep. that's why you keep comming back to answer me. you enjoy what I write.
DE FACTO

Postby ecliptic » Mon Dec 01, 2003 5:33 pm

Well, you got me with that one. I'd say it's quite clear to anyone how much I enjoy your witty banter.
ecliptic

Postby Kinetic II » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:33 pm

DE FACTO wrote:4. you sound like the same person that blasts off as usual and i suspect you are because you only have 3 posts. :lol: ("sockie") ha. you're funny.

Tony, sorry to disappoint you but if that time stamp on Aracelli's post is correct, I was onboard Southwest Flt 557 somewhere over a cornfield in Iowa or Northern Missouri. I left for Chicago last night and was with Archantael until 6 this morning. I was subpoenaed to appear as a witness in court today and considering the security gauntlet I had to run I went as light as possible. I had my phone with me and I did try and use it to check hotmail and Trey's site. I couldn't get it to work so I turned it off. So there was no way I could post, and even if I could, I'm not going to type in a long post like that with a phone keypad.

So if your looking for sock puppets look elsewhere. As I told you before if I have a problem with you I will bring it to you directly. I don't need some fucking alias account. I've got at least 3 ways to e-mail you. A sock puppet would simply be a waste of time, time better spent playing Sim City 4 or something.

As for Aracelli, one post is particularily interesting. DF, for better or worse you are considered the top annoyance on the e-playa. I know this doesn't bother you in the least but for several people they wish you were gone. I'm not going to go that far, I wish you would modify your approach. If your stop on the eplaya is truly nothing more that some grand experiment, consider making some adjustments. I'm sure there will be a line of people who won't hesitate to tell you what changes to make...and can do it more eloquently than I can.

I'm also going to say this...my wish is for the old hats to return from exile and take back the board. Historically the board gets an influx of newbies in January or February and their advice and guidance will be needed more than ever. You have opinions on everything but even you can't fill the need that's going to exist. It's going to take a strong community to do it. So if I flip you shit that's my underlying goal...to try and cut down on anything that is holding this board back or has been identified by the majority as a problem. And spare me the spiel about not having any authority...this is my online home for my BM experience, and there are no rules that says I can't step up and say anything I want if it might make a difference. This board is managed to the benefit of all, and managed by all of us together, like it or not. So there...now if you'll excuse me, I need a beer.
Kinetic II

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:44 pm

so what does Araceli have to do with you? If that was your sock, excuse me for not being able to read your mind. The post date was dec. 1.

:shock: :?

you sure you have'nt started that beer already?

I was onboard Southwest Flt 557 somewhere over a cornfield in Iowa or Northern Missouri. I left for Chicago last night and was with Archantael until 6 this morning. I was subpoenaed to appear as a witness in court today and considering the security gauntlet I had to run I went as light as possible. I had my phone with me and I did try and use it to check hotmail and Trey's site. I couldn't get it to work so I turned it off. So there was no way I could post, and even if I could, I'm not going to type in a long post like that with a phone keypad.

Am i supposed to care what your day was like? I dont get this nor do i care. you're right. I dont.

Last night you're happy, today you're not. <twilight zone music.> Bob's posts are much more entertaining than this and make more sense.
DE FACTO

Postby Kinetic II » Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:50 pm

You said the posts reminded you of someone that brought up those kinds of issues to you . Well I don't see a line of people out there flipping you shit like I did...so I assumed you were referring to me.

And yeah thaat's been 2 beers and counting.
Kinetic II

Postby DE FACTO » Mon Dec 01, 2003 8:15 pm

Kinetic II wrote:You said the posts reminded you of someone that brought up those kinds of issues to you . Well I don't see a line of people out there flipping you shit like I did...so I assumed you were referring to me.

And yeah thaat's been 2 beers and counting.

huh?

it must be the beers. hey, cheers!
DE FACTO

Postby DVD Burner » Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:41 am

well I think I now know the difference between name changers and sock puppets.

"The art is in the digit!"

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Handles vs subterfuge

Postby robbidobbs » Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:10 am

In the best of circumstances, the ability to change one's names offers an opportunity to evolve further. Handles shouldn't be albatroses, they should reflect the individual at the time of writing. Case in point: what if someone wanted a fresh new start from the year prior's mishaps? I also believe handles should be given, or picked after an particulary intense experience, not necessarily a variation on the bearer's name. But that's my trip, and your mileage may vary.

On the otherhand, if one is so screwed up that they can't just stick with a handle (or set of handles which is the case w/ my Companion: Crystal Dave the Wizard of Wyrd) then they are just messing with my immediate experience and my ability to communicate with them. Names are not to be taken lightly, changed on a whim or to be cute/punk... IMO. STN.

In the worse cases, there are the annoying folks who get multiple eplaya names, pose as others, argue with themselves (it's cute when you do it though, Badger), clog up bandwidth and generally be a non-community minded pain in the ass. Ban 'em!

If someone needed my vote, and I had to choose a dictatorial stance, then no name changes. The problem then becomes one of enforcement. So it all becomes moot in the end anyway. Next problem.

Ok, I'll shut up now.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby DVD Burner » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:05 am

Who knows anything about sock puppets?

a thread for BRR to read.........huh?

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Badger » Thu Mar 25, 2004 10:59 am

Sure hope that 'PLONK' option is at the top of the list for the board.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby Apollonaris Zeus » Sun May 23, 2004 8:48 pm

I used to have several personifications on this thread. It doesn't bother me when other people do. I've know several that other people have and their obvious who they are.

If they do a good job of creating an alter ego I think is poetic, but its tough as hell to be good at it and come off as a rounded personality cuz its easy to be an angry person or an eternal happy person.

Think I might just bring back from the grave!

A II Z
Apollonaris Zeus

Postby Bob » Mon May 24, 2004 7:39 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote:I used to have several personifications on this thread.....

Area wo/man calling him/herself "Apollonaris Zeus" has multiple identities.

News at fucking eleven.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

bad words are sometimes necessary

Postby Suzie Clipboard » Tue May 25, 2004 12:30 am

Bob, I don't think I need to look over my glasses at you like this. We both know that you are using a bad word, don't we? But, I'm going to cut you some slack: I'm just going to make this little mark by your name in pencil.

People, what Bob was doing in his use of the bad word was "irony". By inserting the bad word within the phrase "News at eleven", Bob was attempting to "bend" or "warp" the phrase into facetiousness. Bob was being "droll".

Everybody, Bob's been around on the eplaya for many years. Bob is confirming -in effect- Yes, a writer might possibly be posting multiple accounts on eplaya; But, that this isn't something that Bob has not seen before; Bob's seen this so many times over in fact, that this has become as "routine" as the eleven o'clock news. Bob is very concise: With only "News at Eleven" in three (whisper: plus one) words, Bob carries the meaning quite well. Way to go, Bob!

I agree with Bob. I think sometimes new characters will always be showing up on e-playa. You kinda have to give them a chance and see if they are going to be "disruptive" or not. Some personalities are quite artful- Poking fun at things has a long, long, long, artistic tradition!
Suzie Clipboard

Postby DVD Burner » Tue May 25, 2004 12:58 am

WOW!

I like Suzie.

The Original Digiman
DVD Burner

Postby Guest » Wed May 26, 2004 1:51 am

I like Bob. He's funny.

Postby DVD Burner » Wed May 26, 2004 1:57 am

boer wrote:I like Bob. He's funny.

Oh, Bob is the Dobbs of funny.