anyone biking, or want to bike THERE.?

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

anyone biking, or want to bike THERE.?

Postby easymagicmachine » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:18 pm

Hi all you!

My name is Barrett, and im doing a project for burning man this year that is my getting there. The project is called "the easy magic machine". It invovles, hopefully with some funding... Cycling from saskatoon saskatchewan to black rock (5000km) in order to promote not only burning's theme this year but address the idea of space, and space i suppose as consciousness. with this, I will be wearing a gps that will be projected in the local city gallery here hopefully begging people to redefine not only earths space, but in that effort become more intimate with their idea of it ourselves, and themselves

anyways im really pumped for the trip and meeting alot of you. if any of you are cycling to burning man or thinking about it, i encourage it ofcourse, but if your along the west coast of the states or in canada, you are more than welcome to join or party with us.

I am going with a friend ania, and she is pretty tight with why im wanting to do this, but has her own slant on these issues as well and hopefully she will get posting on here.

the project will soon have a site but for now if you have myspace, add me! i dont think i have one burner on my lsit yet!
www.myspace.com/barrettrussell
easymagicmachine

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:29 pm

I don't mean to be, uh, unsupportive, but have you ever been to Burning Man before? And is your ladyfriend prepared to bring all of the necessary things to keep the two of you alive for a week? Of course you'll say "Sure! Absolutely! I'm a world-class athlete and therefore I am immortal!" Not wanting to sound like a Doubting Thomas, but I have ran 24 marathons and when I got to my first BM was overwhelmed by the extremes of the environment. Again, I am not against your idea at all, but she has to bring everything the two of you will need (I cannot imagine you schlepping 40 gallons of water on your bike), and the infrastructure needs are something greater than you might experience if your car breaks down in Kamloops. If you've been and you know what you're in for, OK; if not, I would respectfully suggest you attend once, see the atmosphere you are about to ride in to, and plan accordingly. Otherwise, good luck. You, and all of us, will need it.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby easymagicmachine » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:41 pm

thanks, I need to thank some people!

without the help of Adrian Stimson and Happy this would not be possible. They are a huge pin in the chain. Adrian has provided such appreciated support, and given up alot of time helping me propose this work to orginizations, and funding agencies. he is also bringing our water and food. so a big big big thanks, Buffalo Boy!

shame on me for not mentioning this in the first post :oops:
easymagicmachine

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:20 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I don't mean to be, uh, unsupportive, but have you ever been to Burning Man before? And is your ladyfriend prepared to bring all of the necessary things to keep the two of you alive for a week? Of course you'll say "Sure! Absolutely! I'm a world-class athlete and therefore I am immortal!" Not wanting to sound like a Doubting Thomas, but I have ran 24 marathons and when I got to my first BM was overwhelmed by the extremes of the environment...

What Doc said and more. What I can (must) assume by what you didn't say is you have never been. BELIEVE HIM when he says this can really kick your ass. He's not lying to you - - he is extremely healthy, and really does run marathons, and if he says he got his ass kicked by the Black Rock Desert, believe him.

The Black Rock Desert is nothing to be trifled with - It will be more than happy to turn your prime healthy body into Purina Vulture Chow right quick. People have historically died to death out there. People who do this event prepared, equipped, and experienced *still* get their formerly healthy asses carted out of there from complications dire and nasty. This without the stress of a 1500 mile bike ride to a destination which not only is the middle of a dry, desolate hard pan alkali flat, but is at 4000 feet elevation where the humidity is like 15%, the days are at or over 100 degrees, the nights are usually arounf 40 degrees, and the sound, excitement, and activity levels will mean you will be dehydrated and sleep deprived. Oh, THEN you get to ride home 2500 KM... And if it rains while you're there and turns into a glue bog? A windstorm comes up and alphas and takes your camp down?

Ever done extreme climate survivalist camping before? Like Alpine Camping with minimal equipment? Or out in an alkali desert? I *have* done both, and I was still unprepared for what BRC threw at me. It's that different. Similar, but different.

Dr. Pyro wrote: If you've been and you know what you're in for, OK; if not, I would respectfully suggest you attend once, see the atmosphere you are about to ride in to, and plan accordingly. Otherwise, good luck. You, and all of us, will need it.

TRIPLE what he said here. IF you've been and know what you're in for, then I wish you luck and a healthy journey. If not... I would respectfully request that you really tink long and hard. There is NO SHAME in realizing that the best of plans are too dangerous to carry out before you start them... but once you're 250 miles from the desert in the middle of BF nowhere, the car mysteriously dies, you have nothing but your bike to get you home, and you're exhausted, tired, grouchy, etc., as well as the stress issues of the car etc., it's too late then to rethink it and say "Why didn't I know better", because you just fell into the trap the desert has lured you into, and that Desert is that much closer to returning you to the dirt from whence we came...

If you know what you're getting into - firsthand - then have fun and good luck. Otherwise - and I say this from experience - don't. It's a great and alturistic thing - but death really doesn't care how "green" you were or how alturistic your goals if it wins... and it has the odds in its favor.

Hugz...
bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby easymagicmachine » Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:35 pm

priceless advice. thank you guys,
easymagicmachine

Postby Teo del Fuego » Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:53 pm

easy:

you'll do fine, I bet you've done something like this before and know all about hydration. Not to diminish prior warnings about the Playa, but I must say, I find the Playa much more comfortable than Atlanta in the summer (except during white-outs.)
Teo del Fuego

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Whiskey & Dust

Postby Hoolie » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:26 am

I have long had a fantasy of riding my bike to Burning Man, so I congratulate you for actually making it happen. I agree with the other comments that this journey can be difficult and potentially dangerous, but I also believe it's entirely possible.

I am reminded of the time I was in Darwin, Australia, and I met a guy from Japan who had just ridden in from Adelaide on his bike. In other words, he traversed the entire country from south to north (4000 km), running right through the heart of the Australian outback. It's an incredible challenge to bike that distance through such a hot, dry, remote environment that few cars even venture into, but he made it happen.

Anyway, I think preparation is the key, so I hope you've got everything well planned. I think it's a great idea for this year's theme, and the GPS tracking display is a nice touch.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Re: anyone biking, or want to bike THERE.?

Postby easymagicmachine » Tue Jul 24, 2007 12:57 am

we are in acordia or, 3300km into the trip, and a 10 day stop over in victoria living/installed at the mninistry of casual living art gallery; the trip has been amazing. we are staying at a fellow burners house which we luckily ran into, and we got to go surfing today! Ania and I are heading to portland tommorow, if anyone is wanting to joing for a leg of the trip meet along the way (we are going to lower oregon, then over) msg me on here.

barrett
easymagicmachine

Postby BeWilder » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:20 am

I've got to say this is truly awesome. I've been wanting to do this for a couple years now. I hope you're taking pictures of your trip. I can't wait to hear the full story. Make sure you have plenty of water in your kit for the final stretch. Ride on!
Esse Quam Videri
BeWilder

Postby BeWilder » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:23 am

Oh jeeZ. 2007. Well, at least I don't have to wait for the full story... :D Here I go!
Esse Quam Videri
BeWilder

Return to Get Involved!