Advertising

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Advertising

Postby helitack » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:34 pm

If these guys can advertise their commercial business here,
viewtopic.php?p=300353#300353

Can I advertise my photography business?
Just wondering...
helitack

Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Re: Advertising

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:52 pm

helitack wrote:If these guys can advertise their commercial business here,
viewtopic.php?p=300353#300353

Can I advertise my photography business?
Just wondering...

Only raves are allowed, I would imagine its OK as long as you have a DJ and some good E at least once a month to qualify. It also helps if you claim its part of a themecamp or artcar project.

And the pictures you sell have to be of BM participants without their permission for commercial use. KarlBaba has all the details.. if memory serves you can only charge cost of printing.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Badger » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:06 pm

OK, so I posted a link to Stanford's Continuing Studies for a class that is being offered. The class, Alternative Bay Area Art includes a look at many groups and individuals who bring art to the playa (David Best, Flaming Lotus Girls, Michael Christian, etc.) I thought better of it afterwards but went beyond the 60 minute rule for pulling the post. I'm wondering if I've violated the spirit of the board by posting a link that most definitely isn't being provided for free and in fact charges money.

Comments?
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:08 pm

I don't know anything about your photography business, helitack, so I couldn't really comment on any similarities to the project I'm involved with and yours.

But project is the word to use. It's not a commercial operation - there is no Experiment Inc. or LLC or whatever. Electric Theatre is the name of my art collective (myself and a few friends/campmates), it's not a commercial enterprise. And the Purgatory Cruiser isn't a company either, it's an art car my friend Friction and his campmates put their time, energy, and money into (just like everybody else on the playa). We've been working for months to find a way we can try to do some of the things we loved most on the playa at a place in SF. The name is exactly what the event is for us, an experiment. Trying to do some eclectic things with the lineup (mixing different genres of music, mixing live performers with DJ's), and putting some time and attention into the art and atmosphere (so the place doesn't wind up looking and feeling like just another club night), and getting some level of audience participation (most club nights in SF don't seem to encourage the people who go to get dressed up). For us, it's not so much of a commercial venture as it is a creative one (if commerce was our goal, we'd have 4 less names on the bill, a less expensive venue, and wouldn't have bothered with anything else).

To be honest, I posted it here because I thought it was something of interest to some of the folks who frequent the e-playa boards. I saw the board tile (Regionals & Events) and figured that, being an event, that was the right place to post it.

Is the event a camp fundraiser? No more than the Bohemian Carnival or any other monthly event. If and when we make something back from these events, our first order of business is to try and do some more creative things with the art, but if there actually winds up being a surplus then yeah - my plan is to put it all towards my camp stuff. My camp (Eridu) isn't really any kind of large scale sound camp or anything, but we've got a few ambitious art projects, and I expect that when it all comes down to it our limitations will be time and money (just like many other people).

I hope that provides some clarification. If the moderators feel that the posting is inappropriate, than I'd understand if they decided to remove my thread, as well as those of every other event that isn't some kind of camp fundraiser or regional event.

If anybody is offended or somehow put out by that thread or anything else I post, please feel free to write to me directly (as opposed to posting threads about threads on some other board).

Thanks

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:22 pm

As for Toolmaker's comments, wow. I don't really even know how to respond to that - he certainly seems jaded and is jumping to conclusions based on some weird/outdated stereotypes. I don't know you, we've never met (that I'm aware of), and am not sure why you'd be so eager to say that kind of stuff.

I haven't been to a rave in over ten years, and I haven't been involved in putting one together in an even longer period of time. The artists (musicians, singers, acrobats, fire performers, painters, sculptors, welders, riggers, aerialists, dancers, actors, costumers, etc) I've worked with in the last few years have worked our asses off to try and push the envelope and create the best art, performances, atmosphere, and experiences we can.

Slagging it all off as some lowest-common-denominator excuse to take drugs is just ignorant and rude.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Archantael » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:43 pm

A hardcore intrepretation of the TOS, in particular Section 7e makes no distinction about advertising in any form so if someone wanted to be a dick about it technically they could complain and say Badger's continuing education post is in violation.

However considering how loose TOS enforcement already is, that the post in question promotes art which is one of the core values of Burning Man, and it promotes continuing education...anyone raising a ruckus about Badger's post would need to step back and offer a damn good argument as to why it should be removed. I doubt such an argument will surface.

By the way I didn't see anything in the flyer Heli linked to that was objectionable either.
Archantael

Postby helitack » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:04 pm

helitack

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:42 am

Yep - saw this one, too... I don't care whether the venue also has burner events, it's still commerce, non-BRC or BRC-event directed, ergo is wrong. Unless someone form on-high tells me otherwise between then and now, I will deal with this when I get the other computer running... Prolly this evening...

Thanks, Heli! >smooch<

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Toolmaker » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:45 pm

helitack: have you considered an event at an art gallery to sell your pictures? here in south florida alot of the art galleries have events to help promote sales. the last one i went to had some wine and cheese and a nice little tour with a little about the various pictures mentioned. i noticed that a few folks wound up purchasing work while there.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby helitack » Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:22 pm

I have had gallery shows in the past. I have one coming up. I was trying to make a point about advertising on this board.
helitack

Postby Jus Say Ventura » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:17 pm

Be your own boss!
Low-cost advertising scripts. Publish your ad on thousands of message boards instantly! Official Burningman Merchandise
Protect the Burning Man trademark! Buy direct from the source.

Advertise on this site

Sorry, I am my own boss!

I say if ads like this are on the board then anyone can place anything on eplaya to sell!
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)
Jus Say Ventura

Postby Jus Say Ventura » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:25 pm

helitack wrote:I have had gallery shows in the past. I have one coming up. I was trying to make a point about advertising on this board.

What's your web sites address?

I'll take a look to see if there is anything there I like.

Did you contribute to the Burningman Calendar?

Do you know if anyone gets paid for contributing their images?
"Da Mind, Da Bod! Da Governor of BRC!"
(Governor since 2001)
Jus Say Ventura

Return to Policy Discussion