first timer, where to start?

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

first timer, where to start?

Postby bmvirgin » Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:08 pm

I've never been and looking for some help! Just moved to Sacramento, and looking for- some guidance, people, etc. Thanks!
bmvirgin

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:37 am

Well here is a guide which you pretty much need to read.

http://burningman.com/preparation/event_survival/index.html

If you're looking for people why don't you tell us about yourself? There are all types of people and you'd probably like to get in with folk with similar or at least compatible agendas.
MikeVDS

Postby harlequin_amoeba » Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:43 pm

Hello,
I too am a bm virgin. I moved to SoCal from the east coast and have made this promise to myself to make it to burning man this year. Though none of my friends are interested in coming with. So I'm hoping to hook up with some folks in the SD area, how about you? Are you an artist, musician, ?? I'm neither, just a bohemian soul with the urge to live deeply. I study Chinese Medicine, so while on the outs I probably look more like a serious student, I have this wild fire in my inner child thats itching to get out. That and I've traveled the world and have seen enough to hopefully be somewhat prepared. We shall see. Good luck with your journey :)
Erleichda!
harlequin_amoeba

Where to start?

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:15 pm

Try here...
viewtopic.php?t=1391

The "Get Involved" thread is for if you're interested in getting involved in the Event, for instance, volunteering.
There is a great deal of information off the homepage:
http://www.burningman.com/participate/volunteer.html

If there is are talents that you have, you might check the questionaire on what most closely fits your interests.

I've been going for 8 years, and have worked full-time all of them. There is a vast wealth of insider information on this site, so if you have a specific question, by all means, ask away. Or find a thread that deals with your interest and ask there.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Similar question...

Postby whit_g » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:56 am

This will also be my first BM, and I'm really looking forward to it. I spent most of yesterday watching "Beyond Black Rock", scouring the BM site for info and taking a litany of notes.

What I'm wondering is this: Would it be crazy or common for a first-timer like me to go to BM without joining a group of some kind? I have several contribution/expression ideas that I can execute myself (and probably will regardless) and I'm versed enough in the environmental conditions that I'm fairly certain that I can get by just fine with all of the crap I can pack into (and anchor to) my car.

But if I take the solo route, I feel like there's a good chance I'll be missing out on a lot of the social benefits that BM offers. Maybe what I'd like to hear is that there are small communities of "semi-solo" Burners who setup camps in a cluster and do some things together but don't necessarily have a common purpose. Still, a voice in the back of my head is telling me that this desire is in some way avoiding an important precept of the BM mission.

Sorry my concerns aren't more crystallized. I do feel that no matter what I do, BM will for me be the coda to two years of self discovery. I've been tempted to go for years, but I don't think I could possibly have gotten out of it in previous years what I believe I'm going to get at this particular point in my life.
Whitfield, digital magician + [url]angledend.com/whit[/url]
whit_g

Postby Toolmaker » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:29 pm

To the new eplayan from SF.. there are a TON of folks from the bay area.. many are right here on eplaya so you should be able to meet some before the event. As far as "missing out" by not camping with others.. I say NAY! As long as your are a participant and not a spectator you will meet many new friends and feel free to drop by the various camps and villages to say hi. Just because you show up solo doesn't mean that you will not wind up hanging out in a themecamp for most of the event. Anyone can also do their own themecamp, just follow the pre-registration requirements and make sure you have enought folks to help you get everything setup and start having fun. Setup the shade first and than work on your tents, domes, etc.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby whit_g » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:34 pm

Great, thanks for the reply, Toolmaker. I think I'm going to submit myself as a volunteer and help out with one or more infrastructure-related jobs but probably not be in a camp per se. I'll save the all-community thing for next year and see which approach I like better.
whit_g

Postby AntiM » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:09 pm

For first-timers who aren't in an RV, check out Hushville at www.playachicken.com. Nice village, friendly folk, requires preregistration or we get inundated. Three rules: no generators (including your car once you park it), no amplified music, and Leave No Trace.

Started out as a Husher in 2001 and have been there ever since. A good way to begin, you'll know where your village is placed!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby whit_g » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:21 pm

I could do that - I'm definitely a "silence preferred" sleeper and don't anticipate playing any music out loud. Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
whit_g

Postby whit_g » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:36 pm

Oh, wait - scratch that. I was thinking electronic music, but I just realized that my guitar would probably also fall into the "no" category, and I definitely want the option of playing that while I relax in my camp. I appreciate the suggestion, though.
whit_g

Postby gyre » Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:55 pm

Just go and decide where you want to volunteer when you get there.
There is always something to be done.
You have to make arrangements to come early and volunteer though.
There's nothing wrong with going solo.
There are camps that appreciate acoustic music.
Just say hello to people when you get there.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Postby whit_g » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:00 pm

That sounds pretty much like what I'm expecting to do, gyre, thanks for the input. I'll probably get involved to some degree before the event (here in SF), but mostly I expect my trip to be an experiment in experimenting. :)
whit_g

Postby robbidobbs » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:23 pm

I'm totally hiring your ass this year if we find eachother.
I live at ePlaya Bar Camp. Yah baybee. Any daylight hours.
I only ask 4 hours of your life. It's highly rewarding work.
Sometimes I just tickle myself.
13 years of doing the porta-potties wrong.
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Postby whit_g » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:31 pm

Just looked at the blog, sounds awesome. I'm game.
whit_g

Postby AntiM » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:32 am

whit_g wrote:Oh, wait - scratch that. I was thinking electronic music, but I just realized that my guitar would probably also fall into the "no" category, and I definitely want the option of playing that while I relax in my camp. I appreciate the suggestion, though.

mmm, maybe, maybe not. Go ahead and check it out anyway. Hushville does not require absolute silence, just depends on how far your music goes past your own personal camp.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to Get Involved!