Moderation discussion

Discuss the policies of ePlaya here.

Postby EvilDustBooger » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:23 am

Wow.
You all sound like a bunch of fucking pussies.

Why don`t we take this horse-crap to the Thunderdome where it can be more entertaining.
I`d like to see all the players in this little soap opera with their gloves off.
Just piss and moan and turds away.

I`ll even join in if you like.

You are this [] close to an all out claw-fest here, so why not just take it to the next logical step.

Set all of your little pissy monsters free,
And then lets get back on a more positive tack...m`Kay?

jesus h kriste!
EvilDustBooger

Postby Archantael » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:24 am

I'd like a real Thunderdome match if that could be arranged.
Archantael

!

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:11 am

Okay.. seems to me spanky has left and this software is too customized to implement mods or pathes. How about new software? There's planty of BBS software about that could be used. Do we have to use open source? Do we have to use PHP based stuff?
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Re: !

Postby Archantael » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:23 am

Toolmaker wrote:Okay.. seems to me spanky has left and this software is too customized to implement mods or pathes. How about new software? There's planty of BBS software about that could be used. Do we have to use open source? Do we have to use PHP based stuff?

The idea of starting new would likely appeal to the new server admin...if such a change is made I hope nobody forgets what happened the last time the board underwent a major cosmetic change to the user interface. Many of us left for the event with a board that was clunky, quirky, yet functional. We returned to something that looked like it got drop-kicked out of some secret govt. lab at Area 51. Alien, foreign, ugly, quirky, and oh my gawd, it had smilies! Go back and read the posts from the early days of the current version of the board. It was brutal.

My point here is while we need change...hopefully anyone putting the changes through will consult with the community on it and not just ram it down our throats!
Archantael

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:08 am

EvilDustBooger wrote:Wow.

You all sound like a bunch of fucking pussies.

Why don`t we take this horse-crap to the Thunderdome where it can be more entertaining.
I`d like to see all the players in this little soap opera with their gloves off.
Just piss and moan and turds away.

I`ll even join in if you like.

You are this [] close to an all out claw-fest here, so why not just take it to the next logical step.

Set all of your little pissy monsters free,
And then lets get back on a more positive tack...m`Kay?

:lol:

And all that happened while I was sober.

Imagine.

DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:14 am

Toolmaker wrote:Okay.. seems to me spanky has left and this software is too customized to implement mods or pathes. How about new software? There's planty of BBS software about that could be used. Do we have to use open source? Do we have to use PHP based stuff?

Starting a new is fine as long as you keep in mind that many will be looking for the old somewhere.
Plone is nice but not as user friendly as most users will tell you.

any suggestions?

Phpbbs really is not all that bad. It's just......you have to maintain it like anything else.

also, eplaya is on a linux box. yall need to take that into consideration.
Linux is nice but as you all can see, like any OS it has it's vulnerabilities.

if you choose something simple, things stay simple.
DVD Burner

Postby spectabillis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:26 pm

Toolmaker wrote:Okay.. seems to me spanky has left and this software is too customized to implement mods or pathes. How about new software?

like your post in feature suggestions, create a topic there for this. hopefully everyone knows by now to ignore dvd and kinetic and where they post.
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:40 pm

spectabillis wrote:
Toolmaker wrote:Okay.. seems to me spanky has left and this software is too customized to implement mods or pathes. How about new software?

like your post in feature suggestions, create a topic there for this. hopefully everyone knows by now to ignore dvd and kinetic and where they post.

Still shit startin huh?

I guess you'll never grow up.
DVD Burner

Postby Archantael » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:44 pm

Hey SB, do you have any experience running phpBB BBS's? DVD and I both have that experience...and we would like to contribute with our working knowledge here. Are you not able to put your personality conflicts aside even for a little bit and tap into all the help that's out here? Or do the volunteers need to be cherry picked from a pre-screened list of names? With your call to ignore DVD and myself and based on past observations I wonder who will be acceptable enough to help out.
Archantael

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:47 pm

Archantael wrote:Hey SB, do you have any experience running phpBB BBS's? DVD and I both have that experience...and we would like to contribute with our working knowledge here. Are you not able to put your personality conflicts aside even for a little bit and tap into all the help that's out here? Or do the volunteers need to be cherry picked from a pre-screened list of names? With your call to ignore DVD and myself and based on past observations I wonder who will be acceptable enough to help out.

I cant because I dont wear my feather boa everyday.

DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:49 pm

It really sucks being so awesome.
DVD Burner

Postby SED » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:00 pm

How about new software that includes splash-guards for the bystanders?
It ain't the hanging, it's the drop.
SED

Postby Archantael » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:02 pm

Hold it...before SB hits with that quote of his......my turn!

i predict...

- the drama will continue to attract the same ex-moderator
- those same people prone to conflict will continue to drag in personal grudges on behalf of others and bring up selective eplaya history that skews things towards a validation of their actions
- whatever other problems exist not directly related to the immediate ones being discussed will continue to be used to attack, block, delay, and deny any volunteer efforts by anyone that is not part of the cabal.

The missing green ID becomes ever the more justified by the post.
Archantael

Postby EvilDustBooger » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:28 pm

EvilDustBooger

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:07 pm

DVD Burner

Postby ibdave » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:32 pm

spectabillis wrote:

SB are you going to join or not..????
DVD and Kinetic IV have agreed to be somewhat civil, So Please stop the personal attacks and they will stop as well....

Ok, let me try this approach to ALL involved in this
“long running he said she saidâ€
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby SED » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:00 pm

Okay, can someone please hand me a towel and some disinfectant?
SED

Postby spectabillis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:03 pm

ibdave wrote:DVD and Kinetic IV have agreed to be somewhat civil, So Please stop the personal attacks and they will stop as well....so, are we ALL ready to step up and FORGET THE PAST???? I hope so.

once again sorry, but they are NOT personal attacks. kinetic and dvd have been given multiple chances over YEARS. the same thing happens everytime so there is absolutey no way the org wants to deal with them, give them any consideration, and definately no access.

in all honestly, i would like to forget about it since neither i nor anyone else wants to deal with any of it. but it has caused the majority of help to leave so we have to make sure it does not happen again, not when start to improve.

dvd, kinetic, anyone can make suggestions, there is nothing stopping them, there is no conspiracy. PLEASE, everyone pay no more attention to it because its just the same arguments and issues that have been going on with people for years. this board was shut down over it, people have been banned over it, the drama spreads and these assholes continue to ruin things for everyone else.

look ibdave, your intentions are good and i am sure everybody appreciates them besides me, but you're feeding this despite wanting to help. there's a lot still going on here that you dont see and this is what happens when only a glimpse gets aired out on the board.

so if you think i am being harsh or unfair,,, read back over things in feedback and you start to get the idea that it still happens all the time. in fact this was just two weeks ago search.php?search_id=1020047531&start=30 still think its harsh or unfair? start talking with the people at the org to tell them, there is nothing to hide about intentions.

and they are not being civil, but even when they are its only a matter of time before it changes. really, the best route is for everyone to ignore them. they can still make suggestions if they want to help but you can see how they have alternative agendas because they will always start shit. the proof of that is asking for them to only post in private messages because no matter what they would refuse, they like this kind of drama and attention.
spectabillis

Postby Toolmaker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:27 pm

spectabillis wrote:

Done

viewtopic.php?t=16731

I take it Dork it to be our new King. How does Dork feel about new software? From what I recall reading the oppurtunity hasn't arisen to look over everything due to access issues. If our board is heavily modified and Spanky isn't available to aid in the transition it may be easier to get a new board in place with mods/patches/etc. You could always keep this one up while debugging and fine tuning the other.

http://testplaya.burningman.com

We could also have some of the regulars help beta test it out. Than if a switch is made the testplaya could still be kept to test stability of new patches and mods. Maybe we can have a neato little java irc chat window down the road or some online games like chess.. the testplaya would be a good place to test em out before making changes to the eplaya that may not be easy to undo. It really stinks that we can't implement mods and patches due to recoding of software. In the future I think it may be wiser to stick with "factory" code and keep backups of original code if custom code writing comes into play. In fact keep backups for everything.. Admins, Mods, Etc .. have a backup in place just in case.
This account has been closed as demanded by Wedeliver.
Toolmaker

Postby Archantael » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:41 pm

Dude, you're a fucking idiot. You can't possibly blame the closing of the board and all of the technical issues, the running off of volunteers on the actions and conduct of two individuals on a board with an active user base of over 200+. Take your personal bias concerning myself and DVD out of your job which is to help get this board back up and running.

Seriously dude, who in the sam fucking hell are you trying to fool here? That is ranking as one of the most asinine statements to hit the eplaya since it's creation.

Edit:
And furthermore, who in the fuck made you God and the voice of 200+ people that are all allegedly saying that I am not wanted here? Last time I fucking checked you have no authority to speak on behalf of anyone but yourself. Seriously you need to know your role and shut your mouth.

If there was ever any doubt about why your removal as a moderator was a great thing for the board....it's evaporated.

Edit 2: Your comments are personal attacks. Don't spin it any other way. You can't have it both ways no matter how hard you try to weasel your way out of it.
Archantael

Postby spectabillis » Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:52 pm

whatever.

but thank gawd no one has to worry about a boardwide conflict breaking out over someone like dvd that makes the org shut the board down. say what you will, and i dont doubt you will continue because you've been pulling this shit for years. it wouldnt be anything new because some people always dig things up and twist them around at burningman. i have more faith in people now, i just still need everyone's help so...

PLEASE PEOPLE IGNORE IT ALL! DONT FEED THE DRAMA!
spectabillis

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:25 pm

Well Dave, you tried. :lol:
DVD Burner

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:28 pm

Toolmaker wrote: Maybe we can have a neato little java irc chat window down the road.

There is one that is working on the webteam plone website.

Just copy the code.
DVD Burner

Postby Archantael » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:35 pm

It's time to hand it off to St. Jude...the Patron Saint of Lost Causes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Jude

Toolmaker, Dork, I wish you the best of luck. All I can say is be careful...the people you think are your friends today can be the same ones stabbing you in the back or betraying your trust tomorrow. Consider yourself warned.

SB: One more time...for clarity's sake.
i predict...

- the drama will continue to attract the same ex-moderator
- those same people prone to conflict will continue to drag in personal grudges on behalf of others and bring up selective eplaya history that skews things towards a validation of their actions
- whatever other problems exist not directly related to the immediate ones being discussed will continue to be used to attack, block, delay, and deny any volunteer efforts by anyone that is not part of the cabal.

The missing green ID becomes ever the more justified by the post.
Archantael

Postby ibdave » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:29 pm

DVD Burner wrote:Well Dave, you tried. :lol:

Yes DVD, but what we have here is the failure to communicate
(cool hand luke)

So now we ALL go back to the forget the past and WE ALL MOVE FORWARD..
Really, Thanks to you all, WE can move forward... Cuz where we have been aint looking to good.
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby DVD Burner » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:33 pm

DVD Burner

Postby SED » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:14 pm

I'm a banana!
SED

Postby spectabillis » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:10 pm

dont know because i am no longer active on tribe, but aparantly the bman tribe had a recent moderator meltdown.

moistpup: remember him here?

let people read the history of moderation implementation here for lessons learned. everything is open, most everything is documented. compare that with what happens when the wrong people and the wrong policies get implemented.

moistpup: moderator? well, ignorance truely is universal on the internet.
spectabillis

Postby Sail Man » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:49 pm

spectabillis wrote:dont know because i am no longer active on tribe, but aparantly the bman tribe had a recent moderator meltdown.

let people read the history of moderation implementation here for lessons learned. everything is open, most everything is documented. compare that with what happens when the wrong people and the wrong policies get implemented.

Meltdown? The whole thing has breached the core and the Dilithium crystals are failing. :shock:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ygmir » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:18 pm

Sail Man wrote:
spectabillis wrote:dont know because i am no longer active on tribe, but aparantly the bman tribe had a recent moderator meltdown.

Meltdown? The whole thing has breached the core and the Dilithium crystals are failing. :shock:

well, as with most human activity:
switch to impulse...............
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

PreviousNext

Return to Policy Discussion