Hello and Welcome... What's your name? Tell me about You...

Re: Virgin Burner - burning virgin?

Postby allthatburns06 » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:21 pm

[quote="naturelover66"]Hi All,

I just bought my ticket for the 2007 burning man event :D . I am soooo exicited!! i have downloaded the survival guide, i have some friends who are burners, so i have gotten some information from them as well. I am currently planning to come alone, but will try to find some fellow burners in my area as well. I am in sacramento area (northern CA) for those who dont know where folsom is. I welcome any additional advice, or if there are nor cal burners out there.. give me a shout out!

very much looking forward to my first burning experience![/quote]

Norcal! Our little merry band of burners hails from Modesto....a bit of a distance, but I know where Folsom is. Feel free to contact me @ [url]travisguinness@yahoo.com[/url]
allthatburns06

Postby DJ Dominus » Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:25 pm

[quote="BAS"][quote="DJ Dominus"]What up? I'm Jason Dominus from the Madtown of WI. I was at the BM Decompression party in Chicago with my partners in distributed aural satisfaction. We got a taste and it's on in 2k7. This will be our first BM. We will be at the Cactus Jam tent. I am psyched and I hope to meet a lot more cool cats like I did at the decomp.

Dom[/quote]

Hey, I'm trying to move back to the Madtown area, since I lost my job down here in Racine. (Damn it! I really liked the job, too-- hence I have been really depressed lately.)

I went for the first time in 2006, and managed to be sick the whole time. (Sinus infections and playa dust don't mix well, apparently.) Still, I mostly enjoyed BM. Would like to go again, but, now that I am unemployed, don't know if I can in 2007. (I'd like to get a bus for next time, but that plan is even more on hold due to the lack of income!)

Have a good time there, okay?!

B.[/quote]

Added you to my buddy list. Hope you get the job situation straightened out. I know how stressing that can be. If you end up being able to go or are gonna hit up any of the regional events, shoot me a PM.
DJ Dominus

Postby BAS » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:36 pm

Okay, I'll try to remember to do so. I do have a friend in Sun Prairie who has been wanting to go, but couldn't make it last year. (I don't know if he could make it in 2007 or not.) I wound up going with some people from the Chicago area.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

burning man virgin

Postby nmarvin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:10 pm

My name is Nanci
I'm a 51 year old, mother of three. My oldest son died in 2005, my other two have grown up, and gotten on with whatever they managed to keep intact.
For 2 years I have been sitting in my room, doing the grieving mother thing to the ninth degree. I've been to shrinks, group supports, and blogged my heart out. But here I still sit.
So, now at 51, I find myself with end stage liver diease, (from Hep C), treatment resistance depression, all alone (I've been a single parent for the last 15 years), misanthropic, and terrified this is how I'm going to die. Alone, in the puddle of misery I've been wallering around in for far too long. It ain't pretty.
Knowing that you can have the will to live, but not to die, leaves you to realize that this hopeless, sad, pointless life can go on forever and ever.
That's when I found out about the Burning Man. No such thing as coincidences, so I felt this was something I had to do. To save myself.
I've been sitting here in my room, waiting for someone to come take me by the hand and lead me out of the dark side into the light, but, no one ever comes. I've made it this far into the light on my own, but it's taken a lot, and, I sure could use some help and advice on what I should do next.
Maybe this is one of those "too much info" errors, I was just trying to get out as much as briefly as possible. So....what words of wisdom do you have for me??????[color=red] :?: :? :?:
nmarvin

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:28 pm

I discovered Burning Man the year my oldest brother died (2001). There's a lot more, but the event was just what I needed. I just turned 50 last Friday, didn't manage to have kids, and have had a few health issues myself.

C'mon Home and roll in the dust with us.

Oh yeah, read the freakin' Survival Guide and First timers info, repeatedly.

HUGS!
we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Control and Our Lives

Postby gyre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:38 pm

Not one of us controls our life, in spite of our self delusion.
I urge you to do something to help someone else, volunteer or education about your experience, anything.
Some times it helps to help someone worse off.
Mostly it just helps to be helping someone.
It doesn't matter why.
At worse, you do some good.

And get ready for burning man too.
You may want to visit the temple at burning man.
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

B>M>V>

Postby nmarvin » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Me again, thanks for the 'words of wisdom'. I don't want to feel out of place there, I can do that at the house.
I have an RV, I'm not for tents & such, but, if I can load her up with all I need and then some, what would be the best things to bring. It is about other than just yourself, isn't it?
I see the themes are broken into three groups. I fit into the first two, so I'm not sure. Should I just plan on being on the outskirst, is there a place where all of us RVwussies have to be parked?
Is there anyone from the great northwest that head down to NV. I don't think I'm ready for a bunch of "life is great, ain't it good to be alive" happy happy joy joy folks, I have to ease myself into this people thing, but it would be great to have a convoy of sorts.
Because I'm such a procrastinator, I need to start getting ready now. Any special tips for RVer's?
nmarvin

Postby AntiM » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:33 pm

The territory for theme camps and villages is marked, but that leaves a lot of open space. Just be sure you visit with the new neighbors before setting up.

Take a look here:
http://www.burningman.com/first_timers/
AntiM

Postby gyre » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:43 pm

I think there was a happy happy joy joy camp last year.
There are some groups of rvs, but you can park lots of places.
Just arrange enough space somewhere.
Burnstream was one group.
A lot of rvs come.
gyre

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:46 pm

Welcome home NMarvin!

Yes, please, please read the first-timers guide and the survival guide. The Playa is pretty harsh at times, and knowing essentials, is well... essential.

The camps and people at BM come from every kind of background that you can imagine, so, don't fret too much about fitting in, or being with the wrong crowd. It's as diverse a place as you will ever know. Just enjoy the experience........ It only happens for one week a year.........
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:00 pm

Nanci,

Welcome!! Planning for burning man has totally changed my daily additude for the better and I hope it does the same for you.
The more planning and information gathering you do the better you will fare in that beautifully harsh Black Rock Desert. Non reserved camping spots are a free for all with areas on the outside of blocks filling up first and then infill in the center of the block. If you drive down on sunday or monday you will be in a convoy with other burners. Put a Burning Man symbol on the back of the RV so others can honk and wave or stop if you need help. I really recommend getting there early in the week because there is a really good easy-going feel to the community at that point and you can get an on street spot.

Allways carry a cup and have a good supply of water with you at all times. Bring a comfortable junker bike or two with wide tires and lights for night. Buy a pair of hand-cuffs to lock that bike up with. Bring warm clothing for after sunset. Be ready to get huggs and truly sincere greetings. I could go on for ever on this subject but all you need to know to be well prepared is on this board or on the website. Other Burner personal sites can be helpfull too.

Have fun planning and see you on the playa.

David
Black Rock City Welding and Repair. The Night Time Warming Station.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby ibdave » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:08 pm

Well Said Motsky... Well Said...
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby motskyroonmatick » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks ibdave.

I was born right the first time too!!!

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Hello!

Postby LinzieJPalmer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:53 pm

Hello, My Name is Linzie
I'm from Northern California, Redding...
2007 will be my first burn, Ive heard about burning man for 6 or 7 years now
First chance Ive had to go tho. Ive Downloaded the survival guide...
Any other ideas from non virgin burners would be welcomed & very helpful.
Ive never been the desert *S* I can't wait I'm so excited to go!
My Best friend is going with me...we cant wait to find like minded people to share the joys of burning man!

Linzie
LinzieJPalmer

Postby MikeVDS » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:07 pm

Hello and welcome. There are lots of posts about things that made peoples experiences better. You should decide how you want to do it. Some people go minimalist and bring only what they need, others decide to bring everything they own and stuff they pick up on the way. There is no wrong way to do it, unless it's wrong for you. This year my camp is bringing lots of virgins and I'll post my list of things for them that they need and that they may want. It's probably not all inclusive, but it's a good start.

Things you'll need:

# Food for a week (or however long you'll be there).
# 2 gallons of water per day (you'll need containers).
# Goggles. The dust can be killer.
# Shelter of some sort. Tents are the easiest.
# A sleeping bag or equivalent (normal blankets are not usually equivalent)
# Something to wear in the hot weather or nothing to wear.
# Clothes for the cold weather. Prepare for freezing temperatures at night.
# Some way to light yourself and bike at night from all sides. (glow sticks are easy)

Things you may want:

# A bike is HIGHLY recommended.
# A lock or at least something to detour someone from taking your bike.
# Alcohol of choice
# Fun clothes for day or night. Things that allow you to jump, climb and play in that fit your style.
# A water container to carry with you. Camel backs are popular, or a bottle on your bike.
# A good cup that you can keep with you. Bars generally only provide the stuff to fill your cup.
# Utensils and plate or bowl for when/if you're offered meals.
# Some people like dust masks
# Sunscreen, lip balm, large brimmed hats and other hot weather tools.
# Baby wipes are great on the playa. You'll use a lot of them.
MikeVDS

Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby regynalonglank » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:20 pm

if you're not in a party party fun mood at the burn you can still have a great time. the burn you need will have you either way, but you can get up early and watch sunrises and be contemplative and quiet, go for long walks out into the playa and see amazing sights, find like minded folk and chat, or not, and generally provide yourself with the experience you are looking for...i would say bring ear plugs tho, if you want to be able to sleep earlier in the evening to prepare for your early morning ventures...can get fairly loud out there, even in an rv. plenty of meditators, yogistas and other quiet types to be found amongst the louder, dance party types. takes all kinds, and bleeve me, they'll be there! welcome new burners :) glad ta e-meet you. sieze yas in the dust...
\v/

/ \

just listen to the drum
regynalonglank

Postby LinzieJPalmer » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:45 pm

Thank you very much!
I will pack all those things
I come by lots of stuff all the time
My Motto is everything must go!
I'm up for what every comes my
way, as is my best friend, Didn't even think about
ear plugs! Thank you
Linzie
LinzieJPalmer

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:16 pm

If I may interject: Ear plugs are a must unless you really--and I mean really--like techno 24/7. If sleep is an alien concept, then you'll be fine. And a bike shouldn't be considered as an extra, it is a must, assuming you want to see more of BRC than a block or two away from where ever you are camped. And if you aren't in a themecamp of one strip or another, and you find yourselves out in the hinterlands, unless you can hitchhike on an art car you will be miserable. Trust me, after eight years on the Playa, a bike should be considered indepensible.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

going it alone

Postby nvbeachbum » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:28 pm

totally excited about this years theme...... my regular camp mates are bailing this year and looking to meet new friends and having an amazing time. i am from reno and would like to chat with any burners maybe hittin the playa solo or starting a new camp.....
nvbeachbum

*S*

Postby LinzieJPalmer » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:59 pm

have to have

earplugs
bike

check!

Thank you
LinzieJPalmer

Postby justliv » Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:19 pm

Hiya there.

My name is Olivia and I'm from Ottawa, Ontario ( Canada! ) and am hoping to attend Burning Man this year. I heard about it a number of years ago through a friend, but wasn't ever able to go. I'm thinking about making the trek down there myself and was wondering if there are any fellow burners from Canada, or far away, and what their tips are for getting there. I've never done anything of this magnitude before, so any suggestions are greatly appreciated! And if anyone from around my area is in need of a travel partner, I'd be more than willing to accompany them! :)

Cheers,
Olivia
Do what you like, and like what you do.
justliv

Postby Zulegoona » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:13 pm

Hello justliv, Check out the links on this Burning Man regional page

http://regionals.burningman.com/ca_ont_ott.html

welcome!
Zulegoona

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:46 pm

* Clothes with lots of pockets
* Lip balm with velcro wrapped around it so you can stick it to your hat and reach for it constantly.
* Well worn shoes that are like comfy old friends
* Fake fur coat with hood
* Lots of glow sticks, el wire, or blinky so you don't get mowed down by art cars.
* Sports drink
* A tiny blank booklet and pencil you can wear around your neck that fits one word per page.
* Something to burn at the temple that represents what you are letting go of.
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby MikeVDS » Sun Jan 28, 2007 6:24 am

I put only things that you might actually get hurt or die from if you didn't have, on my need list. You'll probably do fine without a bike, but it won't be nearly as fun. I should add earplugs to the want list.
MikeVDS

Camp Name: Tiki Fuckos

Postby shadowkittymonster » Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:52 am

Hey all, I'm back. I had to bury my aunt earlier this week, which was one of the hardest things I had to do in my life, so far. To be honest when I found out she died, I decided that I didnt want to go to Burning Man this year because of many different reasons. Then last night I was thinking... Candy was all about art and expression, and she would have gone with me to BM hadnt she died. She was only 40, and the closest person to me other than my little family up here. So I have been thinking and thinking, and I do think I might still keep my BM plans this year, not for me but for my Candy. I dont know a lot has changed for me since the moment she died... I wonder if this would help me with my sorrow... maybe I am just rambling on and on... anyways, im back on eplaya:)
shadowkittymonster

Burning Since: 2008

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:21 pm

Shadowkittymonster,
I am sorry you lost your aunt.
Burning man really helped me with greiving for my mother. I am not religious (fairly anti religious) and burning man and the temple of the stars gave me an outlet that I could own in a sense. It was not a cure but it definitely helped me. Burning man has a way of connecting your self to the things that really matter in life. I did alot of thinking that first year and it was good for me. I hope you join us in the desert but I want you to do what you decide is best for you.

David

motskyroonmatick

Postby AntiM » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:37 am

So sorry about your aunt. I found Burning Man as an outlet the year my oldest brother died and it helped immensely, although it took me a couple three years to hit the Temple. Bring her memory to us so we might know her too.

hugs.
AntiM

Postby shadowkittymonster » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:58 pm

Thanks you guys, that really helped...
shadowkittymonster

Burning Since: 2008

Greetings Earthlings!!

Postby muzlin » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:04 am

I'm an Earthling, too!!

Preparing for my 2nd trip ever to BM. First was last century. I am so looking forward to GREEN Man. I have an idea for a Dandelion Patch. I don't even know if it's feasible, but if it is I would like to find others interested in the project. Maybe at Stoney's in Reno tomorrow nite?? Or if there are any River Ranch folks doing a thang up there.

Which reminds me: Anybody form Gardnerville or Carson City want to share the ride up with me??
Wahay Guru
muzlin

Postby SpaceCowboy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:08 am

Hello Everybody,
This is going to be my first burn and I am so jacked about it I can hardly stand it. I already have my ticket and I can think of nothing else. Am I going nuts? I had heard of Burning Man a number of years ago but kinda lost track of the whole thing, not a lot of advertising (good thing I think). Anyway, I had heard about it again recently and decided to check the www. After about 20 minutes at the site I thought to myself …OMG I know where I belong. I will be going alone, too far out for the wife. I don’t know if I will camp alone or join a camp. I am thinking very hard about the lamplighters.
Now a little about me. I am a mechanical engineer and the people I work with refer to me as the “blue collar engineer.â€
SpaceCowboy

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself!