Roller Disco back in 07 - BRC RollerGirls VS Thunerdome Babe

Roller Disco back in 07 - BRC RollerGirls VS Thunerdome Babe

Postby Sk8GodFather » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:22 pm

Hi Everyone,

I got my ticket today and began checking in with the rest of the skate crew. I must say this was the best "ticket day" experience I have ever had. It could not have went any smoother!!! Congrats to those working to make it happen so well.

The Black Rock Roller Disco will be back in 2007. Once again we plan to bring the wonderful roller skating experience from San Francisco's Golden Gate Park to the Playa. We have been working on getting more skates. We're building racks so there will be no more hunting for skates in the dust. We will work hard to provide the best to the citizens of BRC.

I posted the roller derby game from '06 on YouTube. It was Hope vs Fear in Black Rock City's first ever all girl roller derby game. Check it out at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76G8sc-WZnM

The Black Rock RollerGirls challenged the Babes at the Big Bad ThunderDome, but it seems the Thunderdome Babes weren't up for the challenge. Wouldn't you all like to see it? We will be trying to get these women to meet in the center of the roller rink track.

We're all going to have a great time at BM 2007. Remember, we will have skates, but its always better to bring your own. We can probably help you with that as well.

Keep Rollin'

D. Miles Jr.
The GodFather of Skating
http://www.cora.org
Sk8GodFather

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby Jamm'in » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:40 pm

Quick Question.......may we bring our own roller blades??
Jamm'in

Postby K-mom » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Good news - more derby matches plz!!!
My friend Tori -ToiBox- camped w/ you guys last year and was one of the derby organizers. But I still feel bad cuz I got high making dinner and got carried away cooking this gigantic stew and forgot to come check it out, like I had promised. Looking forward to the opportunity of redemption in '07!
O, and I'd also like to come and actually try skating one night!
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby amazon » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:35 am

Oh yes yes yes!!!! I LOVED YOUR ROLLER DISCO!!! Woohoo!!! Ill be sure to bring some skates!
<I>"...You disturb me to ze point of insanity. Zere. I am insane now." </I>

- Dieter of Sprockets (SNL)
amazon

Postby Lifeisshort » Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:12 pm

I would love to see the rink much larger this year, any chance of that?
Lifeisshort

Re: Roller Disco back in 07 - BRC RollerGirls VS Thunerdome

Postby madmatt » Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:59 pm

Sk8GodFather wrote:The Black Rock Roller Disco will be back in 2007.

Yeah baby, last year on the roller disco during a dust storm was our highpoint! Thanks!
madmatt

Postby Sk8GodFather » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:40 pm

We are going to increase the size of the rink. We had this checkerboard design working last year because the masonite we used for the surface was a dary brown mixed with the light brown sheets. the size was about 45 ft x 80 ft. I plan to double the size in 2007.

Also we are going to perform at some point. We have roller dance skaters from the Red Bull Great Skate that are going to do their performances at the rink. Check them out at http://www.skatinplace.com/

If you have skates please bring them. We'll have about 100 pairs, but it's best to have your own.
Sk8GodFather

Proof of Pleasure!

Postby madmatt » Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Here is our proof of pleasure. Vid of us rockin at the Black Rock Roller Disco in 2006.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nt9ztQDX0I
madmatt

Postby Jamm'in » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:23 pm

Sorry to repost this again, but I just wanted to make sure. And "not" to be the only person out there with roller blades.

So are roller blades discouraged.?

Thanks
Jamm'in

Postby Sk8GodFather » Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:48 pm

You can wear any kind of skate that makes you have a good time. Rollerblades are fine. I like quad roller skates when I'm skating in a rink or dance skating in Golden Gate Park. I like inline skates when I'm going from point A to point B like the Friday Night Skate or San Francisco to Los Angeles.

I have special quads for the playa. Also we will have some off road skates that people can take off the roller disco floor and onto the playa.
Sk8GodFather

Roller Girls in 2007?

Postby TomServo » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:45 pm

Hey D!!!!! Its Jeff...th truck driver...are the Roller Girls gonna be back in 2007?? I finished their logo and am prepared to make roller girl shwag if they will be out their again. See you in the park!! bought some inlines and am learning not to fall on my ass.. peace out!
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Spare Blades???

Postby muzlin » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:42 am

I got 'em and I'm bringin' 'em unless somebody tries to stop me and I lose the fight !!

Yahoooooo!!!
Wahay Guru
muzlin

Postby glttrgrl » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:38 pm

This is too awesome....I think I'm speechless.....
Tish
:)

For me, insanity is super sanity. The normal is psychotic. Normal means lack of imagination, lack of creativity.--Dubuffet***
glttrgrl

Postby dadinpain » Sun Feb 11, 2007 3:25 pm

I would love to see a few pictures of your off road skates. This is one camp I will not miss.

Later Gator
Dad
"Dont take my kindness for a sign of weakness"

"Time to roll another Burning Man"

"Im Dad...Im in Pain...and I want your VOTE !!!
Paid for by friends of Dadinpain.
dadinpain

Location: High Desert Ca. High on a Mountain North of Los Angeles

I made steel toed roller skates for the disco...

Postby ala_frosty » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:36 pm

They're up on ebay until July 29th.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0140529066

Here's how I made them

<b>Tools</b>
Duck Tape (yes, I know I speeled it incorrectly)
Wrenches/ratchets for the bolts.

<b>Shopping expedition:</b>
Pawn shop / used sports-gear shops around DC and found a pair of really horrid all-plastic skate-shoes for which I think I paid about $10. Mine had a plastic insert in them for your feet to sit on. If you don't get one with the skates you'll need to get one.
Home Despot: 16 1/4" bolts, washers and lock-nuts. Always use locknuts!

<b>Step by step:</b>
1. Chop the top of the skates and used a dremel to take the edges down.
2. Line up where the trucks sit under the boots. This was tricky as it meant standing on the trucks wearing the boots while the trucks were not bolted to the boots. Gotta love Duck Tape(tm).
3. The lovely and talented assistant marks on the bottom of the boots where the trucks should mount.
4. Remove the wheels.
5. Take a 1/4" drill bit and drill through the truck and into the boot. I started at the toe. and bolt up the hole pretty tight.
6. Drill through the other toe-hole on the opposite side of the truck and bolt it up. Aim to put the bolt as far from the center as possible while still leaving at least 1/4" between the bolt hole and the edge of the shoe. Check the alignment at the heel. If it's off, loosen the toe bolts and re-align.
7. Repeat for the three other pairs of bolts.
8. Tighten all the bolts.
9. Repeat steps 4 - 8 for the other boot.
10. Install the plastic insert in the boot.

Get out and practice roller booting aboot .. best practiced by Canadians, but Americans from some Northern states might be able to make this work too. :-)
ala_frosty

Return to 2007 Theme