Bring the Fremen to the playa in 2007.

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Bring the Fremen to the playa in 2007.

Postby mouseshapedshadow » Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:15 pm

I want to get toghter a group that would be interested in building a fremen seitch on the playa. Losely based of the David Lynch, film but relying on the book's description of most things. Any one interested?
kull wahad!
mouseshapedshadow

Postby space monk » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:29 pm

i am harkonan, so we will take you out before you get your first rebar in the ground!!!

just kiding, what is a 'seitch'?
TheFuseIsLit......
space monk

what is a seitch any who.

Postby mouseshapedshadow » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:25 am

the definition from the book is "an assembly place in time of danger." it was said that the fremen lived for so long in danger that it became the name for their living spaces. I think that fits right in with the playa being the most diverse assembly place.
kull wahad!
mouseshapedshadow

Postby blyslv » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:26 am

Can I wear a squishy rubber suit?

I've wondered that about the fremen, friggen fetishists every damm one!
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby Sensei » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:49 am

blyslv wrote:Can I wear a squishy rubber suit?

Uh, you kids realize that the Fremen, uh, drank their own urine, right? I mean that's what the Stilsuits were all about. I won't even mention what the thigh pads were for. Their battle cry could have been "Milk, milk, lemonade, this is where the fudge is made".

But hey, whatever turns you on.
Sensei

Postby capjbadger » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:37 pm

Sensei wrote:
blyslv wrote:Can I wear a squishy rubber suit?

Uh, you kids realize that the Fremen, uh, drank their own urine, right? I mean that's what the Stilsuits were all about. I won't even mention what the thigh pads were for. Their battle cry could have been "Milk, milk, lemonade, this is where the fudge is made".

But hey, whatever turns you on.

Actually the suit distilled the water out of the urine. They didn't drink pee... :roll:
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu Oct 19, 2006 1:16 pm

It's sterile. You can drink it.

Here.... *zzip*
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby K-mom » Sat Oct 28, 2006 8:25 pm

What David Lynch film is this? Doesn't ring a bell.
You call it malt liquor, I call it breakfast.
K-mom

Postby capjbadger » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:08 pm

K-mom wrote:What David Lynch film is this? Doesn't ring a bell.

Dune, based off the books by Frank Herbert
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

rubber suits

Postby mouseshapedshadow » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:39 pm

the rubber stillsuits are good and all but I am more interested in a tight knit group of people who know how to fight, and are interested in Paul's influcence on the fremen. people who are into developing their consciousness. and if you can put toghether a stillsuit that would be cool
kull wahad!
mouseshapedshadow

Postby Bob » Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:59 pm

I think you just described Burning Man, if you replace Paul w/ Larry and take out the business about a fight club.

Where were you planning to find a batcave?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby mouseshapedshadow » Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:19 am

quite true. that is why i want to make a dune themed camp. it would combine two of my favorite things. The fighting that i am talking about is just a part of developing consciousness. to qoute fight club "how much do you know about your self if you've never been in a fight." that is a loose qoute but it gets to what i am trying to say. I don't want to be another camp fight club, or thunder dome. My background comes from kendo and i have experienced extended realty while practiceing.
kull wahad!
mouseshapedshadow

Unique Way to Relate to DUNE

Postby EricMagic » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:24 pm

I like to think that this BMan event is essentially the start of a special version of the Freemen, which are unique to this time and planet. The BMan culture is many things including being self sufficient in the most severe conditions and also being spiritually uplifiting in an artistic and wholistic energy sense, while at the same time we the Burners (i.e. Earth Freemen/women) recognize and sustain the need to be with others to share, hang out, care for and learn from.

So, in many ways this event and the regional burns is the essence of or the beginning of Freemen type persons for this planet in this relatively small galaxy in the Universe.

Now, where is the SPICE and how can I help you to help me get a great deal of SPICE? If you help me to find it, I shall show you how to use it for all sorts of interesting things.

Here Us Howl and Watch Us Come and Go! We are the Burners! We are also known as the Earth Freemen/women, and trying to come up with a new name and new ways to live and disapear so enemies can not find out.

Note: To understand the above statements you need to understand the basics of DUNE the book/story, and of course very creative implied language of an Earth Freeman.
<>
Relax, Be Bold, Dream, Live Large, Elevate
<>
EricMagic

Postby Bob » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:50 pm

Thanks for completely sucking any semblance of humor from the entire Dune pantheon.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

More please

Postby EricMagic » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Humor I love Humor, give me more. Please drain the extreminities of your mind and space then warp it back and filter the humor inside out for more back to you and then to me. More humor please in my essence, mind, and soul. More humor please even the suff you overlook or can not understand or is sometimes at your expense, make the humor churn, burn and spew and liquify the energy and then expand your thoughts and dreams.

<> <>
<>
Relax, Be Bold, Dream, Live Large, Elevate
<>
EricMagic

Following up - anyone still interested in Fremen?

Postby bronrs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:10 pm

Hi!

I wanted to post that I really liked the idea of bringing the Fremen to the playa. Although I've only been to the playa a couple of times and have mainly participated as a healer and capoeirista, I must admit I've been an avid reader, lover of Herberts' works, ekrimador and pesilat.

The Fremen have always appealed to me.

I have spent the past six months travelling through India, from North to the South on Enfield and have had to spend some time in the desert. Mainly it's long flowing robes, head covering and jugs of water. Like most third world countries, a good blade is invaluable. The people are resilient and always have big smiles, although rarely solve problems by combat, I've seen more tribal stick fights in Afrika, and most knife fights in Southeast Asia.
If you've worked with knife, you know there are many hand/eye coordination drills (hubad-lubad, sinawali or buah/dasar pasang) that are a lot of fun, and eminently practical. Filipino children practice knife play by playing tapi-tapi wearing white school uniforms and corncobs dipped in red paint. Knifeplay can be fun and ultimately a judgement is obvious when someone drags redpaint across white cloth. It can be over quick and the result is obvious. Checkout Youtube and lookup 'Silat Mubai' for a taste of what I'm talking about.

But I digress.

I'd like to see Dune hit the playa, there are many people out there working on making it become a reality:

Technovelgy
http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/content.asp?Bnum=42

Stillsuit-related news articles:
- Parasitic Power Harvesting - Dada Sprees Supreme Shoes
- NASA And Water Security Working On A Stillsuit
- Backpack Generator Harnesses Power Of Walking
- Nanogenerator Harvests Mechanical Energy

But like any culture or art, there is more to it than the technology.

Perhaps I was born a few hundred years to late, but I've always admired the the samurai, the gurkhas, the eskrimadors and knight errants. Although in the default world there may be no place for me except to train security and police knife tactics, I'd sure like to hit the playa as a Fremen.

Let me know if anyone still wants to try this. I'll be camping with the HBGBs.

Cheers,
Regi

http://myspace.com/wuxia
bronrs

Images of Fremen

Postby bronrs » Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Courageous tribal fremen leader, highly respected and friend

bronrs

Postby COPPERFISH » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:00 pm

mouseshapedshadow wrote:the rubber stillsuits are good and all but I am more interested in a tight knit group of people who know how to fight, and are interested in Paul's influcence on the fremen. people who are into developing their consciousness. and if you can put toghether a stillsuit that would be cool

i'm Re-reading Children, The Fremen become lost, entrenched Religious oppressors. Even Paul criticizes them as the blind Preacher.

Having been oppressed so long themselves in an unchanging cruel world they can't deal with the change that comes with liberation and they fail as a coherent movement/organization.

Leto comes along and scoops up their reamins to forge his Golden Path, but we see that they are a broken people, with their long held principles failing them, and there morals and ethics eroding.

would this neo-Fremen society mature in the same way?

COPPERFISH

Postby Batmoose » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:12 pm

I am intrigued. Keep us abreast of things for 08.
"Rhythm is both a song's manacle, and it's Demonic charge."
Batmoose

Postby CapSmashy » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:17 pm

CapSmashy

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Terminal City://404 Village Not Found

Postby COPPERFISH » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:22 pm

If you need something to worship, then worship life — all life, every last crawling bit of it! We're all in this beauty together!
Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
COPPERFISH

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:11 am

Remember, the Fremen were a nomadic people, it was the original means to their success and survival, and as the morals tale goes in Children and God-Emperor, their downfall as the people became stagnant, not unlike the Romans after they controlled the empire...

It's also a good soliloquy of the hydraulic empire theorem, which is something one should think about in this current age... Whoever owns it controls, (and whoever destroys a thing controls a thing)... The nomadic necessity of the Fremen lifestyle was paramount, and by making them sedentary, they were controlled by the very destruction of their lifestyle.

Anyway...

If anyone could develop a working 'stillsuit, it'd be a burner. Actually... the whole Fremen Tech thing is, IMO, pretty reachable (less the Mélange, but I'm no biochemist, either!)... and what burner hasn't thought of the ability to thrive in the desert?

The big water source - the "water traps" - are really evident, and could work. Watch a window air conditioner pull water out of the air, and then think how you could do something like that using a natural heat dissipation and convective air flow system...

The main key is efficiency - waste nothing, utilize everything.

Now... let's talk about Sting in his eagle-wing speedo... I forgot about that...

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Dead Sexy!

Postby COPPERFISH » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:20 pm

Yeah - that's a burner costume waiting to happen.

on the suits. I don't really want to drink my filtered sweat even if it is clean. it'll be warm. And since we won't be in the "deep desert" how about designing a burner friendly suit.

Water:A built in Camelbak

Cooling component: Covering up in leather or latex will automatically allow the sweat to condense on the inside of the fabric. at key locations build the fabric out a bit with a flexible mold and insert little fans, like the ones used in electronics. The inside of the suit can have molded channels that allow the air to flow.

Waste Management:
For Female suits, a built in pee funnel.
A poop hatch (like the pajamas i wore when i was little)

And then lots of small pockets so it isn't bulky. Like Marth Stewart - a place for everything: moop, chapstick, tp; snack pockets.

elwire stitching of course

Oh and ass padding for bike riding.

And I think it has to no be black. That always seemed stupid to me.
camelbak vest:

COPPERFISH

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:20 am

I could never figure out the reasoning behind the suits being black, except for phhotogenic reasons. If the idea is to conserve moisture, the last thing you want is to make you sweat so bad you lose moisture. Of course, it ends back in the water resevoir after processing, but why would you wear something that promotes overheating in the desert? Oh, and for a stealth and secrecy aspect it's equally dumb...

However, there may be an explanation. House Harkonnan. Famous for their dark and forboding, yeah, well, you know... remember Arrakis was a Harkonnen colony for decades - it was only the emperor's arrogance and whatnot that allowed it to shift to their cousins, er, enemy, House Atraides, which started the big collapse, etc...

OTOH... If you have the colony that holds the monopoly on what allows ones society to survive for, what 7 decades, how can you be rendered so powerless that anyone could just go in and kick you out? House atomics? Hell, EVERYONE had them. Saddakur? F*** them, they land, the spice ends. To me it sez that House Harkonnan was non only a paper tiger at best, they were pretty shitty managers for their supposed reputation of being "evil ruthless bastards"... in 70 years, hell, Baron Harkonnan SHOULD have been the emperor...

So yeah. Back to BRC. You could build a workable imitation stillsuit. The Dr Denton hatch would be almost mandatory, actually (Ayyiii!) it'd almost be easier to do a foley than a pee funnel. But we won't go there. The built-in camelbak will be warm anyway, just becuz of the proximity of it to the suit. Fans - the batteries for them are secured in a holder sewn into a pocket, easy to change in and out. Switch for them (and the elwire) in a separate pocket for camo sake...

All you need are worm hooks, rope, and a thumper. A real, honest to god working thumper would actually be easy to do. Oh yeah, the worms and the spice would help, too...

bb
Lassen Forge

Postby EB » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:15 am

A group of Freman, assembling from all directions in front of Center Camp. They extract thumpers, set them up and summon...

A spice worm art car! They "hook it" and ride off!

That would, frankly, bring down the house...
Irony. You're soaking in it.
EB

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Jerk Camp

Postby COPPERFISH » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:36 am

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:All you need are worm hooks, rope, and a thumper. A real, honest to god working thumper would actually be easy to do. Oh yeah, the worms and the spice would help, too...

bb

Yay Thumpers

____
Suit - Maybe flexible solar panels can feed into several batteries that feed into the elwire fans and any other little electric device.

sharper image has a personal ac ( a neck cooling fan thing) that coud be made into a cool collar
___
If you need something to worship, then worship life — all life, every last crawling bit of it! We're all in this beauty together!
Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
COPPERFISH

Postby COPPERFISH » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:39 am

EB wrote:A group of Freman, assembling from all directions in front of Center Camp. They extract thumpers, set them up and summon...

YEAH! Rock the F*** ON!!!
Paul Muad'Dib Atreides
COPPERFISH

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:43 am

EB wrote:A group of Freman, assembling from all directions in front of Center Camp. They extract thumpers, set them up and summon...

Ooohhh...

Oooh...

Yeah!

I can SO see this. get 3 articulated busses and articulate them for the slithery movement, a front similar to the ones on the worms in the movie... One could even replicate a stiech *in* the back part of the worm (otherwise it's wasted space)... Of course at 13 feet high and 85 feet long, it *would* be a small worm, but still...

I have said too much already... there are more visions I can see, like the callings of one who has been tested by the water... with the appropriate talent to bring it together and the $$$ to make it happen. It is **so** do-able...

Oooh yeah.

bb Susanna, Mater Acrior
Ciemahn Banqs Chapterhouse

If you believe certain words, you believe their hidden arguments. When you believe something is right or wrong, true of false, you believe the assumptions in the words which express the arguments. Such assumptions are often full of holes, but remain most precious to the convinced.

Bene Gesserit Precepts
Lassen Forge

Postby Valkyrie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:41 pm

Shoot. I knew someone who was working on a fremen outfit for other purposes. (Actually, he was making a fremen suit for his fiancee and he was to be Maud'Dib.) He'd worked out all the cooling stuff required in his Darth Vader getup.

I need to look him up again.
It's hard to have a normal conversation with someone with 6' acrylic rods strapped to your back.
Valkyrie

Yes bring back the freman tribe spice coffee dealers

Postby Usel » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:13 am

[size=18][color=brown]There used to be a fremen group in the city. they served free coffee. It seems to me that this would be a very poular place considering the $3 per glass cafe' price. or maybe spice tea ans spice beer would make the desert a peacful place.........Usel pendragon[/color][/size]
Usel

Next

Return to Get Involved!