my mind begins to hum...

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: ...

Postby skygod » Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:52 pm

the fire elf wrote:Still I make the moon and the shadow my company

Artists are often alone.

Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand,
Vanished from my hand,
Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping.
My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet,
I have no one to meet
And the ancient empty street's too dead for dreaming.
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby the fire elf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:14 pm

skygod wrote:
the fire elf wrote:Still I make the moon and the shadow my company

Artists are often alone.

Though I know that evenin's empire has returned into sand,
Vanished from my hand,
Left me blindly here to stand but still not sleeping.
My weariness amazes me, I'm branded on my feet,
I have no one to meet
And the ancient empty street's too dead for dreaming.

and what of the joys of collective consciousness?!?

must i reconfigure my soul to be less of an artist to enjoy such a thing!?!

don't know if i'm up to that task...
instantiate vacuous truth
the fire elf

Burning Since: 2002

Postby skygod » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:50 pm

As it was told to me:

You can either go there yourself in a single boat - Hinayana

Or you can go in a larger boat and wait at the entrance for everyone else to catch up - Mahayana - Bodhisatva
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Postby the fire elf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:05 pm

embodied, not emboated

side by side

with gentle touch

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:43 am

In the cool of the fernwood
In the wisdom shade
Rustlings of the Nature Spirits
Mingle in the glade

With Demeter's sigh, the wind
Cries for her children lost
"How I fed them, bodies and souls,"
She laments, "They forgot"

"They'll hear us, they'll remember"
Declares the Goddess of Love
The top boughs of the greenwood
Echo cooing of the doves.

Flash of antler -
Crackling branch -
A voice deep and clear
Rumbles through the mountains
"I am here!
..I am here!"

Lady of Earth's Creatures
Sniffs the air and knows
"It's the King of the Wildwood!"
She lays her hand upon her bow

From her silver moon bow
Fly arrows of pure intent
She protects the virgin forest
As Creation immanent

Fresh breeze -
Dancing leaves -
Rooted deep -
Touching sky -
Green Man roars, "Ho there,
...Earth goddesses!
Here am I!
Here am I!"

As the sun set on the feasting
Of the first day of May
A High Priestess walked alone
Into the forest to pray

She feared her world was dying
But what could she do?
She closed her eyes and listened
Where primeval redwoods grew

The goddesses were there, of course
And spoke into her dream
"Melissa! Veil-winged daughter!
Life insists. It does not flee.
This Truth, a magical honey,
Gives immortality.
Life stings. Life is sweet.
But it shall always be!"

The message that they gave her
To give to humankind
Took wing a million directions
To become bee-mind

And Green Man, that merry trickster,
When he draws the bees near,
Rolls his voice like thunder
..................."I am here!
.....................I am here!"
Forever through the Spiritwood
..................."I am here!
.....................I am here!"

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:47 am

but is he here?!?

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:59 am

Speculatively, the mythology of the Green Man developed independently in the traditions of separate ancient cultures and evolved into the wide variety of examples found throughout history.

... a face surrounded by (or made from) leaves. Branches or vines may sprout from the nose, mouth, nostrils or other parts of the face, and these shoots may bear flowers or fruit.

Although the Green Man appears in many forms, the three most common types have been categorised as follows:

the Foliate Head — completely covered in leaves
the Disgorging Head — spews vegetation from its mouth
the Bloodsucker Head — sprouts vegetation from all facial orifices.

... the Green Man as "the archetype of our oneness with the earth".

Parallels have been drawn between the Green Man and various deities and mythical figures such as Cernunnos, Sylvanus, Derg Corra, Green George, Jack in the green, John Barleycorn, Robin Goodfellow, Puck and the Green Knight: it has also been suggested that the story of Robin Hood was at least partly born of the Green Man mythology. (A more modern embodiment might be found in Peter Pan, who enters the civilized world from a nether land, not only clothed in green but wearing leaves as well.) Even Father Christmas (who was often shown wreathed in ivy in early depictions) has been suggested as a similar woodland spirit.

Sir Gawain himself is also a reference to the Green Man, as he is related to an older, traditional Gawain who is very much a pagan figure, a bringer of spring and rebirth, and also the healer of the king.

the meaning of the names of Celtic gods and goddesses shows that one Celtic deity, Viridios, has a name meaning "Green Man" in both Celtic and Latin, the languages being related.

... identifies Khidr of esoteric Sufism with the Green Man.

"...There are legends of him (Khidr) in which, like Osiris, he is dismembered and reborn; and prophecies connecting him, like the Green Man, with the end of time. His name means the Green One or Verdant One, he is the voice of inspiration to the aspirant and committed artist. He can come as a white light or the gleam on a blade of grass, but more often as an inner mood. The sign of his presence is the ability to work or experience with tireless enthusiasm beyond one's normal capacities. In this there may be a link across cultures, ... one reason for the enthusiasm of the medieval sculptors for the Green Man may be that he was the source of inspiration."

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:00 pm

Speculatively, the mythology of the Green Man developed independently in the traditions of separate ancient cultures and evolved into the wide variety of examples found throughout history.

... a face surrounded by (or made from) leaves. Branches or vines may sprout from the nose, mouth, nostrils or other parts of the face, and these shoots may bear flowers or fruit.

Although the Green Man appears in many forms, the three most common types have been categorised as follows:

the Foliate Head — completely covered in leaves
the Disgorging Head — spews vegetation from its mouth
the Bloodsucker Head — sprouts vegetation from all facial orifices.

... the Green Man as "the archetype of our oneness with the earth".

Parallels have been drawn between the Green Man and various deities and mythical figures such as Cernunnos, Sylvanus, Derg Corra, Green George, Jack in the green, John Barleycorn, Robin Goodfellow, Puck and the Green Knight: it has also been suggested that the story of Robin Hood was at least partly born of the Green Man mythology. (A more modern embodiment might be found in Peter Pan, who enters the civilized world from a nether land, not only clothed in green but wearing leaves as well.) Even Father Christmas (who was often shown wreathed in ivy in early depictions) has been suggested as a similar woodland spirit.

Sir Gawain himself is also a reference to the Green Man, as he is related to an older, traditional Gawain who is very much a pagan figure, a bringer of spring and rebirth, and also the healer of the king.

the meaning of the names of Celtic gods and goddesses shows that one Celtic deity, Viridios, has a name meaning "Green Man" in both Celtic and Latin, the languages being related.

... identifies Khidr of esoteric Sufism with the Green Man.

"...There are legends of him (Khidr) in which, like Osiris, he is dismembered and reborn; and prophecies connecting him, like the Green Man, with the end of time. His name means the Green One or Verdant One, he is the voice of inspiration to the aspirant and committed artist. He can come as a white light or the gleam on a blade of grass, but more often as an inner mood. The sign of his presence is the ability to work or experience with tireless enthusiasm beyond one's normal capacities. In this there may be a link across cultures, ... one reason for the enthusiasm of the medieval sculptors for the Green Man may be that he was the source of inspiration."

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:38 pm

egad...there's two of them
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:52 pm

In alchemy, duality is a dynamic principle of opposing or complementary elements or spirits.

In the religion of the Moche of Peru and the Chinese of China, duality is the premise that everything has an opposing force that must be, or will be in balance.

In Knowledge management the duality of knowledge refers to the relationship between Explicit knowledge (hard) and Tacit knowledge (soft).

Explicit knowledge is knowledge that has been or can be articulated, codified, and stored in certain media. The most common forms of explicit knowledge are manuals, documents, procedures, and stories. Knowledge also can be audio-visual. Works of art and product design can be seen as other forms of explicit knowledge where human skills, motives and knowledge are externalized

Tacit knowledge may seem a simple idea but the implications are huge and far reaching – all sort of enormous technological and social mistakes have occurred because people pushing certain policies – technical or social have lacked the vital tacit knowledge – either leading to misguided and therefore doomed policies, or misguided implementation of a good policy so still leading to failure.
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:54 pm

It is clear that whether or not tacit knowledge can be explicated, it can be transmitted, albeit in an often invisible way.
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:55 pm

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Wed Oct 04, 2006 5:40 pm

dreaming a few days ago:

My gaze falls upon the piece of pumpkin pie floating in a perfectly clear glass of water sitting on the desk.

The desk is surrounded by a preposterously decked-out clubhouse office, complete with a somber looking henchman in a suit by the door.

As he diverts his attention to turn on the sound system, filling the space with contemporary dance music, I left the building and took off in a car.

Old and dilapidated as the car was, it soon lost control of the road and came to rest in a lush creek out of sight.

A wild boy stood on the bank, looking indignant at the intrusion into his domain.

He led me to a house with a benevolent sister figure camly sipping on whiskey.

As the boy took up his handcrafted ducttape bullwhip to play, my inner sense of oneupmanship spurred me to gently suggest that he practice with two.

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:55 pm

dreaming last night wrote:A midwest girl wed under pretense of kid sings as she returns wedding gifts:

"I had to give back all these things...
I had to;
I was not due,
I was not due"

```_```_``````_`````````````````````_````````````````````_```````````````````````_
_```_````_````````_``````````````_`````````````````_````````_``````````````_`````````_
````````````_``````````````````````````_```````````````_```````````````````````_

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:50 pm

Zelazny wrote:Petrograffiti

Coyote steals voices from all living things

Nothing was capable of movement following Coyote's theft of sound from the whole world. Not until he was persuaded to call the Sun and Moon to life by giving a great shout and restoring noise to the land

At Tse'a haildehe', where a piece of rock brought up from the underworld was in the habit of drawing itself apart to form a pair of cliffs and closing again whenever travelers passed between. Nayenezgani today solved the problem by the ingenious use of a piece of elk's horn.

2-Rabbit, 7-Wind, Home Team Successful.

Quetzalcoatl, arriving this morning in Tula, was heard to remark, "Everyman has his own rabbit." This was taken as a good sign by the local population, who responded with tortillas, flowers, incense, butterflies and snakes
Commercial traveler,
passing through

Kit Carson Go Home

I Killed Three Deer Across The Way

But They Were Lame

Singers Do It In Colored Sands

Four Apaches Killed A Navajo Near Here

That's How Many
It Takes

Spider Woman Demonstrates New Art

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:20 pm

Quetzalcoatl, using the attributes of Ehecatl the wind god, thus representing the winds that bring the rain (or not).

In time Quetzalcoatl was mixed with other gods, and acquired their attributes.
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:31 pm

above I wrote:egad...there's two

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:44 pm

an offering

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:01 pm

The story of Damayanti

The tale of Nala and Damayanti deserves to be approached with some reverence. As myth, this story inevitably speaks of the interior psychological condition of the culture that produced it. Tales of kings and queenss, gods and demons, are the time-honored way of examining psychological characteristics and patterns of human behavior. It is not possible to reproduce the magnificance of the story's archaic language...

(Femininity Lost and Regained ~ Robert A. Johnson)

Once there was a king who was the very flower of virtue but had one glaring fault: he could not withstand the urge to gamble. He was so blinded by this one passion that he was easily beguiled into a gambling game, and with equal ease he could be cheated. He finally lost his kingdom and was exiled into the forest in poverty. His son, Nala, took the throne, and with his wisdom and strength restored the kingdom to its power.

Now, a neighboring king had a daughter approaching marriageable age, who knew no equal in beauty and nobility. Heralds and courtiers took it upon themselves to whisper of Damayanti's virtues. Soon the talk linked the pair, Damayanti and Nala, in excellence. It is not strange that the two came to love each other as if destined by fate, though they had never seen each other in human form. The matter seemed impossible since Nala could not have audience with her. But one day Nala, by chance, caught a golden swan, who bargained for his freedom by promising to court Damayanti for him.

Damayanti's father has announced a contest - a Swayamvara - for his daughter's suitors. The gods, even Indra himself, the ruling deity of all India, enter the competition. Indra finds Nala on the road travelling to enter the contest, and instructs him to court Damayanti on the god's behalf. Nala, in a terrible dilemma between his loyalty to the god and to his own heart, openly courts Damayanti for Indra but quietly declares his own love. Damayanti reveals her love for Nala and decides she will choose Nala publicly at the festival.

The critical moment arrives: the contenders are seated in a circle, and she is to choose. But all look like gods in her eyes! What is she to do? Someone whispers to her that the one human present, Nala, can be recognized because he is obliged to blink his eyes occasionally. Damayanti finds Nala in this way and announces her choice of suitor. The gods, more generous than humans, each give a blessing to the young couple.

All is not well, however. Kali, the god of wrath and destruction, hears that a mere mortal has chosen a human over a god as her consort. Kali declares his wrath, but he has to wait twelve years before he finds a vunerable point in Nala's character. One day Nala forgets to wash his feet before praying, and Kali gains control over him. This may seem a tiny matter to a Westerner, but any breach of form is thought to be dangerous in India. Preying upon Nala's ancestry, Kali inflames him with an insane need to gamble.

Though his friends counsel him to try to protect him, Nala gambles away the whole kingdom, even doen to Damayanti's clothing. She is left with one small sloth for a sari, he wearing nothing. Nala can do nothing now but depart for the forest with Damayanti and take up the life of an ascetic beggar.

Nala falls into depravity and steals half of Damayanti's modest clothing while she sleeps. He now will have something to wager at his gambling ventures. He loses even this last possession. In terrible shame, he leaves Damayanti, still asleep.

Awakening, Damayanti is inconsolable in her loneliness and loss. She falls into the coils of a giant serpent, but a youth rescues her. She wanders for three days and is told by a band of ascetics that she will soon find her husband, freed from his dice madness and restored to his royal dignity. The ascetics vanish; they have only been a vision.

Damayanti joins a band of merchants who are on their way to Suvahu, the City of Truth. They camp by a lotus lake. In the middle of the night, a herd of wild elephants destroys their camp in indignation at what man has done to their brothers. Damayanti then travels alone to the City of Truth, where the queen recognizes her and offers her protection.

Nala has fared little better. He sees a forest on fire and hears Naga, the world serpent, cry from the fire, begging for help. Nala rescues the serpent, but his reward is to be bitten. Naga explains that this bite is the only cure for Nala's dice madness but that Nala will pay for his cure by losing his youth and beauty and grace. Nala, transformed, goes to the City of Truth to exchange his skill at horsemanship for skill at dice.

Damayanti is rescued from the City of Truth by her parents and brought home. Her parents set about to find Nala by a ruse: they announce another Swayamvara for Damayanti. Nala, hearing of this, is in agony. He is working for a man who plans to compete at the Swayamvara. The master asks him to manage the horses and is so impressed by Nala's fine horsemanship that he offers to tade his own skill at dice for Nala's skill with horses. Nala will now be enabled to purge himself of his madness.

At the Swayamvara, Nala, managing the horses, makes sounds that are uniquely his own. Damayanti recognizes Nala by ear, though not yet by sight. With Damayanti's touch, Nala is restored to his kingly status

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:29 am

it can get more complicated...

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:38 am

harnessing the primordial force of love and directing it into mortals, an apt role for the issue of a union between "Love" and either "War" or "Fire." In some myths, he is portrayed as being playful, frequently causing trouble for gods and mortals; in others, he is mindful of the power he wields

In some versions he had brothers named Anteros, the embodiment of unrequited love

one was golden with dove feathers that caused instant love; the other was lead with owl feathers that caused indifference.

described him as "bittersweet" and "cruel" to his victims

he was also unscrupulous, mischievous and charismatic

he was adorned represented as a bull, a serpent, a lion, and with the heads of a ram. He is occasionally shown blind or blindfolded.

was fervently worshipped by a fertility cult in Thespiae, and played an important role in the Eleusinian Mysteries. In Athens, he shared a very popular cult with Aphrodite, and the fourth day of every month was sacred to him.
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:59 am

Ancient Greek used the words philia, eros, agape, and storge to refer to different aspects of love.

In Ancient Greek it often refers to a general affection or concern

Although eros is initially felt for a person, with contemplation it becomes an appreciation of the beauty within that person, or even becomes appreciation of beauty itself.

a dispassionate virtuous love

is natural affection

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:42 pm

"Found what?" said the Duck.

"Found it," the Mouse replied rather crossly: "of course you know what 'it' means."

"I know what 'it' means well enough, when I find a thing," said the Duck: "it's generally a frog, or a worm. The question is, what did the archbishop find?"

The mouse did not notice this question, but hurriedly went on," '---found it advisable to go with Edgar Atheling to meet William and offer him the crown. William's conduct was at first moderate. But the insolence of his Normans---' How are you getting on now, my dear?" it continued, turning to Alice as it spoke.
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:52 pm

"Why," said the Dodo, "the best way to explain it is to do it." (And, as you might like to try the thing yourself, some winter-day, I will tell you how the Dodo managed it.)

First it marked out a race-course, in a sort of circle ("the exact shate doesn't matter," it said), and then all the party were placed along the course, here and there. There was no "One, two, three, and away!", but they began running when they liked, and left off when they liked, so that it was not easy to know when the race was over.

However, when they had began running half an hour or so, and were quite dry again, the Dodo suddenly called out "The race is over!", and they all crowded around it, panting, and asking "But who has won?"

This question the Dodo could not answer without a great deal of thought, and it sat for a long time with one finger pressed upon its forehead, while the rest waited in silence.

At last the Dodo said "Everybody had won, and all must have prizes."

"But who is to give the prizes?" quite a chorus of voices asked.

"Why, she, of course," said the Dodo, pointing to ..."
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:53 pm

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:00 pm

"Then you shouldn't talk," said the Hatter.

This piece of rudeness was more than Alice could bear: she got up in great disgust, and walked off: the Dormouse fell asleep instantly, and neither of the others took the least notice of her going, though she looked back once of twice, half hoping that they would call after her: the last time she saw them, they were trying to put Dormouse into the teapot.

"At any rate ..."

http://www.moviegoods.com/Assets/product_images/1000/47793.1000.A.jpg

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:07 pm

the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Philosophy.

relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known in the mind as distinct from a thing in itself.

relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind as distinguished from general or universal experience.

my perceptions may be another context or paradigm from that which is recognizable...

In psychology and human communication, validation is the communication of respect for a communication partner, which involves the acknowledgement that the other's opinions are legitimate.

begets the question of signals of respect and the compatability of my own with others...

esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability

which qualities do I see as manifesting that are incongruent with other's perceptions of what is manifesting?

Sociological research ranges from the analysis of short contacts between anonymous individuals on the street to the study of global social processes. Most sociologists work in one or more specialties or subfields.

what use is anonymity if the self perception is that of a shadow on the wall with nobody to cast it? nothing more to entertain itself with than the looks of passersby, ill at ease with something soo seemingly unnatural

Biogeography is the science which deals with patterns of species distribution and the processes that result in such patterns.

The patterns of species distribution at this level can usually be explained through a combination of historical factors such as speciation, extinction, continental drift, glaciation (and associated variations in sea level, river routes, and so on), and river capture, in combination with the area and isolation of landmasses (geographic constraints) and available energy supplies.

with the choices and actions of man having wrapped over eachother for so long, where to begin looking for my natural place in the scheme of things

false, fanciful or derived from deception. In psychiatry, the definition is necessarily more precise and implies that the belief is pathological

I didn't ask whether I was sick or not...

apriorism:

Philosophy belief in, or reliance upon, a priori reasoning, arguments, or principles.

ah...the old flawed creation approach...not buying it

That belief is not one ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture

social displacement seems a large force unleashing unease upon the emotions of the world...not interested in trying to fix their emotions...need to seek the root

a part of the body of a plant that develops, typically, from the radicle and grows downward into the soil, anchoring the plant and absorbing nutriment and moisture.

an offshoot or scion.

Australian Informal. an act of sexual intercourse.

If a partner were found much would solve itself...common ground and harmonic desires seem key

to summon by or as if by divine command

to attract or lure (birds or animals) by imitating characteristic sounds

to forecast correctly

still working on it
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:53 pm

Mirrored self-misidentification is the belief that one's reflection in a mirror is some other person

Patients who have lost the ability to interact appropriately with mirrors.
the fire elf

Postby the fire elf » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:54 pm

the fire elf

PreviousNext

Return to Experiences at Burning Man