Anybody see the Temportal?

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Anybody see the Temportal?

Postby chromatest » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:44 pm

I created my first ever playa art project this year!

My art project, "The Temportal" was a chill space made out of plywood with color changing light orbs hanging from the ceiling. It also had a string of 6 lights on the roof (for safety purposes as well as a beacon).

It was installed at approximately 1:00 and Trash behind a mound of playa. (we dubbed it Mount Chromie)

I know tons of people visited it, as tons of people signed my guest book, and signed the piece itself (with the markers and pens I provided).

Did *YOU* visit it? Better yet, did you *PHOTOGRAPH* it?

I have no action shots of it. I have the initial outside nighttime shots and the inside documentation shots when I tore it down...

gallery.chromatest.net for pictures.. (currently down, it's getting moved to a new server)

Message me directly if you have pictures of it (in it) that maybe you don't want to share with the public! :)

I'm on tribe, myspace, graffiti.net and gmail.com (all the same username)
-"Rip me in half, I'll make love to myself."-
chromatest

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: The Fucking Flamingos

dang

Postby chromatest » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:36 am

I just got a notice that somebody posted to this topic... then eplaya was down, and now there isn't shit here... bah!
chromatest

Postby Phinneas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:31 pm

I know it's four years too late, but I was one of the many who enjoyed the chill space you built back in '06! It was always well-worth the trip to the deep playa, and the long journey meant that it tended to be really unique people who'd find it. Because you packed it up on the day of the burn, I ended up at a different space later that night where I met a life-long friend, which wouldn't have happened if your piece had still been an option. I've always wanted to thank you, both for building my favorite art that burn, but also for removing it when you did.
Phinneas

Postby chromatest » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:43 pm

Wow, Thanks!

I've built the Temportal (in a different form) for the last two years. Same location, same idea, different design. It has been retired. Check the art-placement map for my art project this year. It should be interactive, but will not be a "chill-space" like the Temportal was.
chromatest

Postby Phinneas » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:15 pm

It's funny you mention that, because the whole reason I found this post was because this past week I happened to recognize your name on the Temportal listing on my iBurn 2010 app while reminiscing. (I recognized your name from one of your cards you gave me while beginning to tear it down in '06.) I thought I'd pretty much completely scoped out the deep playa these last two burns, but I failed to find the last two Temportals and didn't even know they were back out there until a few days ago.

I can't imagine how blown away I would have been if I'd stumbled upon it again in '09 or more recently, and I'll definitely keep an eye out for your next iteration. Meeting you briefly in '06 was my first experience peeking behind the curtain of one of the deep playa art installations -- before that, it had seemed like magical gnomes were responsible for the various far-flung, fantastic pieces. But you were a down-to-Earth human, and it kind of inspired me to want to contribute some deep playa art of my own one day, hopefully this next burn!
Phinneas

Return to 2006 Art & Performance