Terminal Village 2007

Postby StevenGoodman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:01 pm

Our concept fits into the Village concept better than half the villages out there. Hushville is a very loose village concept, it is really a "zone". Entheon Village is a tight concept, sort of a super Theme Camp.

We are somewhere in the middle, but we easily meet the Village criteria. We are a group with a centralized concept. And we are more publically oriented than some of the Villages, by being a group of externally directed Theme Camps.

By the way, if you read the Burning Man descriptions (because there are more than one) of Villages it is unclear why some of the Villages are Villages, and not just super big Theme Camps.

Speaking of the Village, should we contact the people who made The Prisoner Camp? Since there is no escape from The Village? :)
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby chiefdanfox » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:06 pm

<musical>Once there was a little green ball of clay...[/img]
chiefdanfox

Postby Zulegoona » Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:21 pm

It’s hard to say how much change E-playa Bar camp can undergo and still remain true to it’s core, at least as I see it. We did a pretty good job I think of reproducing the virtual bar in the realm of the desert, we told the story of how we came to be to anyone who would listen, promoting this board and other online communities in general. I’d be afraid if we became too militaristic or too focused on DOOM we could lose our general appeal,... and Apokiliptika already has it’s own Kantina . We could maybe push a little closer towards being a Rick’s or a Callahan's , but we’re really some place more like the love child of Cheers and Peewee’s playhouse . It’s a fine line to walk, keeping interesting diversity and shared image.

these are the opinions of me and do not necessarily represent those of the camp or it’s leadership

and for those of you who may not know I have my feet not so firmly planted in both the Bar Camp and Kamp Apokiliptika.
Zulegoona

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:14 pm

....our village shared nothing this year. Yes, there was a generator, but not everyone was allowed to use it (unless they coughed up an extra $50). Yes, we had a bar and dance dome and shower and evap pond, but that was 100% Camp Blunderland. Yes, we had dangerous toys, but that was 100% another "camp". The rest of the "village" was a bunch of RV's that basically stayed to themselves (especially when there was work to be done). We were packed fairly close, but in reality we were at least 4 totally seperate camps that did not even interact.

Of course, our Org Contact has years of bullshitting the Org, so that may have had something to do with it...YMMV.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Box Burner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:52 am

Zulegoona wrote:It’s hard to say how much change E-playa Bar camp can undergo and still remain true to it’s core, at least as I see it. We did a pretty good job I think of reproducing the virtual bar in the realm of the desert, we told the story of how we came to be to anyone who would listen, promoting this board and other online communities in general. I’d be afraid if we became too militaristic or too focused on DOOM we could lose our general appeal,... and Apokiliptika already has it’s own Kantina . We could maybe push a little closer towards being a Rick’s or a Callahan's , but we’re really some place more like the love child of Cheers and Peewee’s playhouse . It’s a fine line to walk, keeping interesting diversity and shared image.

these are the opinions of me and do not necessarily represent those of the camp or it’s leadership

and for those of you who may not know I have my feet not so firmly planted in both the Bar Camp and Kamp Apokiliptika.

I think the E-playa Bar camp could not change and still be the E-playa Bar. that being said, keep in mind that anything can happen at the E-playa Bar. aliens could appear and turn half the barflies ans customers into fruitcakes, the bar could be raided during happy hour (which is anytime there are a lot of visiters at the bar) by Apokiliptika (or other village member) and the customers lined up, interogated and inoculated. some of the customers could even be marched next door to Kamp Apokiliptika for further interogation and innoculation. This would certainly, i think, enhance the experience of many visitors to our village.
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Kinetic IV » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:30 am

Ah, the classic American bar raid by the "authorities". I like the idea and Bay Bridge Sue having finally met her could interrogate me anytime she wanted to.

(I happen to be very biased in favor of Camp Apokiliptika activities now that I've met most of them)
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Killbuck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:32 am

Good points all-

I can't even think of Bar Camp changing, and would not expect it to.. there is something special there. Bar Camp and Esspreso Camp are sorta service camps- and at least to my mind, would be best maintained in whole with frontage to the plaza.

Jafe brought up a salient point- that camps can group up, but not have to necessarily share their livers.... so to speak. Collaborate but still maintain their individual charms in our case. I think our interactions are assured.... no real work needed there. Changes would only be to accomodate collaboration. There are more ways to link thematicaly than dress, color or the like.

BB noted the kitchen situation- I'm inclined (in a comfy chair at the moment) to avoid a group kitchen--and let serendipity perform any communal opportunities.

As someone who has had many years of experience in organizing events, I found that getting groups to work together requires two things for harmony and success:

1. a commonly shared vision where everyone has a part of it, and

2. allowing each group to define for themselves how that part is played and contributed to-- . That's a pretty good definition of collaboration.

Remember- don't let the details and logistical cunundrums be roadblocks--allow ideas to develop regardless of too many practical concerns... not yet at least. Hell, we've only been back for a few days!!!!!!! It'll take some time to digest the 2007 theme and see how we can unify with it and create our own little village theme... then, each individualy find our ways to express it.

KK
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:19 am

...and let's not forget the ease of making as many flags/banners as needed to surround the village to show solidarity. Say, a hundred or two. All that is needed is a design, and I am certain that will not be an issue!

Also, what about doing that hot-water-plastic molding trick to make a number of green-man plaques or sign thingies to be displayed by each member camp as they see fit? A cheap and easy way to be seen as together.

An evening "prayer" meeting around the green man would also show solidarity ("sultan's and cyborgs" next to us had a prayer tower that the whole camp would gather around daily to waller and such - great theatre!)

Maybe we could steal the dyeing people concept (green only of course) to send out soldiers playa-wide.

Maybe we can smelt aluminum toy soldiers out of cans (I'll ask our foundry expert about a durable mold). Anyone know the volume of a typical green soldier? That would determine how many cans would need to be melted down....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Killbuck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:28 am

Hmmm... Jafe, you certainly seem to have recharged quickly!!!!

The Banners and Flags idea would be a great way to visually combine the village without each camp making any significant changes to thier individuality... I like it!

Speaking of smelting.... had another cool brain fart on the Big Green Army Man idea.... lay out a layer of little green men on a sheet of metal, say 1 foot square, all in contact... take a garden torch to the assemblage and ooze them into a sort of sheet. Make a crap load of these, and use the sheets to cover the wire frame of the large figure. The sheets can be formed easily using a heat gun to give the more subtle shapes and curves needed.

It... could.... WORK!!!!!

Yes, we will talk about a screen idea!!!!
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Postby Mozy bonz » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:33 am

Mozy bonz

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:54 am

Good Morning. Wow! This is taking off like a MiG 29 on full afterburn!
And... Leading people astray... I LIKE that image!! >giggles<

OK now... >ahem<... Nor can I see the ePlaya bar changing. Like it's default counterpart herein somewhere, it's the people that make it what it is. We have enough historical precedent to incorporate all the allied (axis?) camps and not change a damn thing about it. Same with Espressocamp.

I don't think we want to change the substance of any of the aligned camps, nor should we. It's what makes those camps (and the visions of their respective leaders and members) what they are, and to require them to change would ruin them.

The banner idea works - they've been doing that in Sacramento and SF for years, and it defines their *villages* quite well. One could even make "stick-in" wrought iron pikes and top them with, say, skulls or something to put the banners on. Tall (and anchored) enough to make them not easy to swipe. Add to that signs on the main roads at the edges of the village... "You are now leaving your doom behind - We'll see you again" or somesuch. On the other side, it reads "Welcome to Terminal Village (or whatever), Population:____" where we have a countdown display.

Can this really be happening??? >grins<
bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Mozy bonz » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:16 am

Mozy bonz

Postby Killbuck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:26 am

I'd liike to be led Ash-tray

"Can this really be happening??? >grins<
bb"

Yes, seems so! We all just have to keep our heads screwed on right.

Sure true... it's the people

KK
Killbuck

Postby d6 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:36 am

ok then KK, but your theme song must be that old late '80's dance number where the girl spells out "a-s-h-t-r-a-y".........anyone got a copy?

I'll do eville things with it.............in your name of course!

d6,
slumber-bot
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby d6 » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:36 am

ok then KK, but your theme song must be that old late '80's dance number where the girl spells out "a-s-h-t-r-a-y".........anyone got a copy?

I'll do eville things with it.............in your name of course!

d6,
slumber-bot
your witty rejoinder just flew over my head.....

no trust fund getting supply buying self-reliant non-bankrolled questionable artistic contributor sacrificing electronics at will build it destroy it clean it haul it financially uninterested uber-bot
d6

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:16 am

Yes, Yes..... Camp individualism, yet a common village feel. I think some common artistic props would work, but theatrical interactivity within the village... between the camps and visitors could be the glue that makes the camps a village. Not only that, it would be a hell of a lot of fun!

Personal note..... I must say the enthusiasm, this soon after the burn is just amazing. Shit, I haven't fully de-compressed, and I'm already excited about next year! WOOHOO!
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Mozy bonz » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:25 am

LED ashtry
Mozy bonz

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:28 am

thisisthatwhichis wrote:Yes, Yes..... Camp individualism, yet a common village feel. I think some common artistic props would work, but theatrical interactivity within the village... between the camps and visitors could be the glue that makes the camps a village. Not only that, it would be a hell of a lot of fun!

That... and secret tunnel between Camp of ePlaya Bay and Apokiliptika Bunker. Even if tunnel is to be above ground.

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Killbuck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:40 am

Hey, remember-- we have the field phone sets too!!!!!

"APOKILIPTIKA Telephone and Interrogation.... how may I humiliate you?"
Killbuck

Postby The CO » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:57 am

Banners and signage a specialty of ours. Could be hung off the barb wire trees, eh?

KK, what model phones? I have a couple myself that I have not been able to get functional.

Dragonfly, Green Army Men are between .75 and 2 ounces of plastic, depending on size.

I'm thinking next year may be the time to ressurect the plastic green army man costumes...

If we have enough people onboard, we could have an axis group and an allies group and have daily battles.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Killbuck » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:29 pm

We have two sets operational- a US T2 battery type set with como wire. The other is a Czech set, brand new with como wire and battery adaptor-- fully functional. We also have access to radios and acquired the stuff to set up an intercom system too, which BB fished up recently.

BTW.. you have the green army men costumes? I've seen those commercially made... must be hot!!!!!
Killbuck

Postby Zulegoona » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Tactical war games and maybe drills together in the plaza...
can you think of anything to pump up the post apocalyptic warlord feel?
Zulegoona

Postby EspressoDude » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:49 pm

lobbing/shooting balloons of espresso across the plaza.....

Espresso Shooters coming up........ever see a shot of espresso go thru 3/4" particle board?.....

maybe a massive fire in the middle.....burning minions at the stake..

continuous MAD MAX and TERMINATOR reruns....
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby sputnik » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:54 pm

Zulegoona wrote:Tactical war games and maybe drills together in the plaza...

Think drills done to the Hokey Pokey
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Box Burner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:01 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:Hey, remember-- we have the field phone sets too!!!!!

"APOKILIPTIKA Telephone and Interrogation.... how may I humiliate you?"

if i can find them i have 4 us navy sound powered phones. these are cool, just hook them together and they work. no batteries, allways on and very sensitive.

Box Burner

Postby Zulegoona » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:02 pm

sputnik wrote:

called by a mad despot in full evening gown ,with a riding crop ...I like it a lot
Zulegoona

Postby Box Burner » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:06 pm

sputnik wrote:

or the drill that is done in monty pythons "something a bit different".

Box Burner

Postby sputnik » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:06 pm

Zulegoona wrote:Think drills done to the Hokey Pokey

called by a mad despot in full evening gown ,with a riding crop ...I like it a lot[/quote]

That's a given.
sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby StevenGoodman » Fri Sep 08, 2006 1:58 pm

>>>continuous MAD MAX and TERMINATOR reruns....

Wouldn't Kelly's Heroes and Dr. Strangelove be more appropriate??? Meets A Boy and his Dog and Damnation Alley? And then throw in a little Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (in 3D)... And maybe a little UNIT from Dr. Who.

Mad Max and Terminator are SO overplayed! :)
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby The CO » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:05 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:BTW.. you have the green army men costumes? I've seen those commercially made..

No, just green fatigues, helmet, face paint, and a "Clown shoe" that looks like the base. Made a couple a few years back, but need 12-20 I think.

The Field Phones I have are full fledged digital boxes; I think a phone Switch may be required. I will find some model #s.

I'll bring my trebuchet & we can fling rubber chickens at people.

Let's not forget Mine Field Golf!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

PreviousNext

Return to 2006 Theme Camps