Terminal Village 2007

Postby Killbuck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 1:58 pm

Hmmmmm! Vultureville!..... Not bad! Is anybody writing all this shit down?
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby Box Burner » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:04 pm

Arcadia is good. a little misleading for those who do not yet know they are doomed. :twisted:
Dance in the heart of chaos. . . . .

ὁ δὲ ἀνεξέταστος βίος οὐ βιωτὸς ἀνθρώπῳ
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- Σωκράτης

Box Burner

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:16 pm

Double post - please refer to form 22-03/a#0u/6 below. Thank you.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:17 pm

StevenGoodman wrote:When I get home I will put up an image, but I would invision taking over all four corners of 3:00 and "A"? Better than being in the circle part, better visiblity.

Basically leave the two corners of 3:00 at the Esplanade for camps that want to face the Esplanade. Then take over both sides of 3:00 running up past "A" for as far as is needed.

I think the thing about a village is it has to have common borders (think all in the same block). I don't know of one that spans streets, tho even at the plaza that would happen. We'll need space for all the camps who want to be a part of to set up; 4 corners will be too small, and also the spreadout at the keyhole that far in would make villageification difficult (even with the communication system, brought to you courtesy of the Apokiliptika Telephone and Interrogation Company). It would also make the 3:00 plaza a chancy proposition, especially if it were interactive...

Personal thoughts. While Arcadia is a good name, when I see it I think of the Santa Cruz Beach and Boardwalk, or a lumber town in Northern California, not the place where all roads end - permanently. It goes to what image the village is portraying to the General Public, and how we want to be perceived by them. Personally I like Damnation Alley... followed by Terminal Station. Gives the proper "feel" to what we're trying to do, without occluding it by requiring too much thought.

Also - I love the barbed wire trees, maybe as landscape for the Crisis Clinic? Does away with the warm and fuzzy image of the Green Man (which was used by renfaire for years, not very original... why not call it Wicker Man and get over it? And also I wonder if the LLC is trying to soften the image of Burning Man to make it "yuppie-friendly"?...)

Why not a huge artway installation bridging both sides of the entrance to the keyhole plaza like an arch proclaiming whatever we call this thing we do (Like the Reno archway, but smouldering, rusty, and decrepit)?

More later...
bb
Lassen Forge

Postby helitack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:52 pm

Billy Goat Acres

Hooterville

Little Saigon

Foo Gas City

Gestapolis

....and I have ten whole dollars saved for next year.
helitack

Camp Name: Apokiliptika

Postby Zulegoona » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:22 pm

various thoughts on the subject

Iffy or not I still love the idea of the plaza, with installation, it is a lot of real-estate and would require even more camps getting on board, but it also provides a ready made public common area, a center for collaborations between camps, and reduces the need for as much space being used as courtyard in each camp. It would also raise the pressure to do something worthwhile with the space and would demand even more time and resources than are already being spent on each camp already. Some savings could be recouped threw shared infrastructure but who knows if that would really amount to much.

A selling point for the plaza would be a more unified space, even if it became a sculpture garden with a number of different works all centered around the terminal city theme over laying the green man theme.
An entity ( the Village ) would have a vested interest making it a place of activity, and take care of it. Possibly funding of one kind or another could be sought to enhance it with shade, making it an even more inviting place for things like the B.E.D. seminars, classes, lectures and so on. as well as performance space, a real town square. The spread out nature of the plaza might provide breathing room for each of the camps to maintain more of there individuality.

To sell the Village concept to even more camps we will have to better define what that concept is,..... not a bad idea for those of us already sold on the idea.
Zulegoona

Postby StevenGoodman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:10 pm

Lets see if I got this image thing figured out! Basically, my idea would be to line both side of 3:00, starting just after the Esplanade:

Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill
StevenGoodman

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:33 pm

S.Goodman....... Good Form!

Taking over the corners, would allow for a nice theatrical play area in the intersection...... I just love the idea of stopping traffic!

Play, or you're Doomed!
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:29 pm

...I am thinking of a suspension bridge like structure that connects the 4 corners....and connects the "village" into one mass. Definately do-able if enough people want to help out financially....

Also, I think some sort of mass recycling project (aluminum cans melted and forged into identity discs or something like that).

Also, a camp with real grass and plants (like Ron does each year)....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby helitack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:31 pm

Uh oh, the money thing. I'm out.
helitack

Postby sputnik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:33 pm

dragonfly Jafe wrote:Also, a camp with real grass and plants (like Ron does each year)....

The forest domes of Silent Running

sputnik

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Ubercarney

Postby Zulegoona » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:35 pm

Hey Heli there you go an even more remote place to be a ranger
Zulegoona

Postby sputnik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:38 pm

Hey, interesting note. The Arcadia was one of the sister ships to the Valley Forge.
sputnik

Postby Killbuck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:55 pm

hang on...

I have recieved intellegence from our Arabian Brother....

It confirms previous intel info... to whit:

Village status is enhanced by sharing infrastructure like shared power source, shared kitchen and other shared resources.

Upshot is....

Get the camps connected. Being split by a road would make this tough... Unless bridged by a large structure, the hieght of which would have to be at least 25 ft high..... perhaps more to allow major party barges to pass... hence prolly not doable.

Possible solution- take control of a 1/4 section of plaza.... allowing for connectivity. This would allow a contiguous frontage appearance-- leading to a common central plaza for the village. I shall send an idea of this soon- graphic imaging being a capacity of mine (blush).

Heli- the power of collaboration eases the contribution of the individual... take heart.

We can use our own individual camp infrastructures... and blend with common theme elements.

BTW... Sanihut can give us a swinging great deal on a 4 unit towed potty confab... suppose they liked the condition of the unit we brought back!!!

We have combined power resources already... and can easily grid together.

Warning... this will take common unity, cooperation and a common vision. I'm willing to help make this happen- we need the commitment of all to see it to reality. Gotta be tough, and require contribution which does NOT have to be always financial. In-kind contribution works as well, perhaps better.

It's all doable.

Oh... central installation? Had a happy brain fart today talking with the inspirational BB.... the Green Man Theme? How about a 10 foot tall Green Army Man, made up from... wait for it.... little green Army Men! Internal rebar frame.. covered in chicken wire form, with the little green army men heated onto the frame. I might get a deal on a metric shitload of green army men from an importer... seek a grant for the project. I'd love to do this!

Killbuck
http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Postby sputnik » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:59 pm

Remember that the plaza is on the grid and so power is not an issue (at least not that I could see).

I think it's quite doable to have each camp be separate, but sharing some common facilities like a kitchen or portajohn. The plaza is not that big that you can't easily walk across it. Hell, I made the trip for espresso every morning.
sputnik

Postby helitack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:04 pm

Kernul Killbuck wrote:hang on...

I have recieved intellegence from our Arabian Brother....

It confirms previous intel info... to whit:

Village status is enhanced by sharing infrastructure like shared power source, shared kitchen and other shared resources.

Upshot is....

Get the camps connected. Being split by a road would make this tough... Unless bridged by a large structure, the hieght of which would have to be at least 25 ft high..... perhaps more to allow major party barges to pass... hence prolly not doable.

Possible solution- take control of a 1/4 section of plaza.... allowing for connectivity. This would allow a contiguous frontage appearance-- leading to a common central plaza for the village. I shall send an idea of this soon- graphic imaging being a capacity of mine (blush).

Heli- the power of collaboration eases the contribution of the individual... take heart.

We can use our own individual camp infrastructures... and blend with common theme elements.

BTW... Sanihut can give us a swinging great deal on a 4 unit towed potty confab... suppose they liked the condition of the unit we brought back!!!

We have combined power resources already... and can easily grid together.

Warning... this will take common unity, cooperation and a common vision. I'm willing to help make this happen- we need the commitment of all to see it to reality. Gotta be tough, and require contribution which does NOT have to be always financial. In-kind contribution works as well, perhaps better.

It's all doable.

Oh... central installation? Had a happy brain fart today talking with the inspirational BB.... the Green Man Theme? How about a 10 foot tall Green Army Man, made up from... wait for it.... little green Army Men! Internal rebar frame.. covered in chicken wire form, with the little green army men heated onto the frame. I might get a deal on a metric shitload of green army men from an importer... seek a grant for the project. I'd love to do this!

Killbuck

So what color should I paint my fucking truck? I pui in for my vacation today, already approved. [/list]
helitack

Postby Killbuck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:05 pm

Desert Tan, what else?
Killbuck

Postby helitack » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:08 pm

Yes, for the base but I am contemplating zebra stripes for effect. A head turner in Vegas for sure. A virtual babe magnet. Yep
helitack

Postby spectabillis » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:11 pm

powergrid, ok.

common themes, ok.

portapotties, hmm...

kitchen, HOLD ON.

the main concern of the org is keeping true to the leave no trace. if there are people willing to do the moop walks afterward (i do that) it helps to establish good post-event impressions from little fallout. greywater evap ponds have to be incredibly massive if showers are shared, but i have been with a couple of camps that pulled it off. recycling is tough to keep a large group knowledgeable of what goes where including burnables - but if a few people were willing to get down-n-dirty in sorting through peoples bags, ok. the kitchen is always a button pressing thing, there has been very few large and shared ones that work without some drama surrounding who brings/eats/washes dishes/etc.
spectabillis

Postby StevenGoodman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:16 pm

[quote="helitack"]
So what color should I paint my fucking truck? I pui in for my vacation today, already approved. [/list][/quote]

Urban Camo.

We could be URBANE Village?!

Taking over the "upper left" corner of the plaza might be easier than all four corners. But is that enough frontage to handle 6+ Theme Camps?
StevenGoodman

Postby Killbuck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:33 pm

Spec-

Right on... kitchens are ALWAYS a major blem. Put into bin for now. No body bitches more than over kitchens and food.

Steve-

either quarter, yes, so long as we don't split, right.
Killbuck

Postby StevenGoodman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:57 pm

A little sanity check, just how much room do we need? From the 2006 list:

Camp APOKILIPTIKA 100 x 150 = 15,000
Club Verboten 50 x 150 = 7,500
Eplaya Bar Camp 100 x 100+ = 10,000
EspressoCamp 40 x 100+ = 4,000
M*A*S*H 4207th 200 x 50 = 10,000
46,500 square feet
And someone mentioned?
Damn Fucking Texans 100 x 100 = 10,000
56,000 square feet

Anyone else?

The area between "A" and "B" next to 3:00 is approximately 250x250;
62,500 square feet. So there is room, but not a lot to spare. There is also enough street frontage, but we would need to wrap a lot of the frontage onto both "A" and "B".
StevenGoodman

Postby StevenGoodman » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:08 pm

>>>Oh... central installation? Had a happy brain fart today talking with the inspirational BB.... the Green Man Theme? How about a 10 foot tall Green Army Man, made up from... wait for it.... little green Army Men! Internal rebar frame.. covered in chicken wire form, with the little green army men heated onto the frame. I might get a deal on a metric shitload of green army men from an importer... seek a grant for the project. I'd love to do this! <<<

Melt them on with LOTS of flaming Propane! Flaming Propane is GOOD! And it is about as un-green project as you can get! Just word the grant about it showing the futility of some green blah-da-blah.
StevenGoodman

Postby Killbuck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:14 pm

"And someone mentioned?
Damn Fucking Texans 100 x 100 = 10,000"

Hmmm... the DF Texans have not been part of idea so far... but might be others. Good work!

Gives an idea of the capacity.... all of which is adjustable.

Shit!!!!! What the phuck are we doing!!!!! This soon off the playa.... still with dusty crap needing to be unpacked and cleaned.... still not getting enough sleep, eating everything in sight, taking showers every 3 hours....

.... and we are diving into 2007? Already?

I love you guys.
Killbuck

Postby Killbuck » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:29 pm

Killbuck

Postby EL Wire » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:29 pm

How about naming it Lahontan?
Lake Lahontan is pretty damn doomed right!
All cats love fish but fear to wet their paws.
--------
Terminal City BM 08: http://www.apokiliptika.com/terminal_city_page.htm
EL Wire

Postby EspressoDude » Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:54 pm

Sounds like an interesting concept. A village of darkness, evil doings, and social medicine.

If the group can't get on the grid, power is preferred in trenches to cross (streets?) to interconnect generators.

If the theme is green, we need copper to add to the burners to get green flames..
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby The CO » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:09 pm

I'm sold on the army man sculpture. I (and most in my camp) have strong objections to large group kitchens. Are they an absolute?
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:32 pm

The CO wrote:I'm sold on the army man sculpture. I (and most in my camp) have strong objections to large group kitchens. Are they an absolute?

Nothing says we all have to share a kitchen (look at WHEEVille) but the majority of infrastructure should be shared to promote that village people feel... (Like the YMCA??!!??)... This does bring up a point, that we should all be pointed in the same direction to pull this off. That's one of the things that the LLC looks at - are these camps making up the village interrelated and how? Not just physically but thematically as well?

The Kernul, through the counsel of the wise arabic one, said it best - the more we are tight with another, the more likely we will be villaged. If we're just a buncha camps who want to camp near one another but remain separate, then we're not a village - we're a buncha camps that want to camp near one another. Which should make ALL the camp seniors think this through - are you, individually and through your minions, willing to (a) come to a consensus with everyone else to village this group, and (b) can you get your minions to agree with this, and (c) are you willing to make changes (albiet minor) in your camp structure to go from outrider to patchholder, er, independent camp to village?

Remember - time is short. We only have weeks before the man burns, and we gotta get it together!!! (OK, 51 weeks, but who's counting????)

I am thinking again... maybe each camp should nominate a gang of 3 (or 4 if you're a maoist traditionalist) to sit on council and figure the little shit out?

Hugz,
bb
Lassen Forge

Postby BAS » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:39 pm

helitack wrote:I prefer "Lebowski Village". Where everyone can be a Little Lebowski Playa Achiever.

Actually, a friend of mine and I have been planing to do a "Big Lebowski" themed camp for some time now. Actually, it would be more of a camp whose theme is a religion based around that particular movie-- with the Dude as its prophet, Mr. Lebowski as some sort of anti-Christ figure, etc. By necessity, the camp would need a bowling alley.... Don't know if I can get him motivated to actually work on the idea, and I am not going to do all the work myself! (esp. seeing as how it was his idea to start with! :roll: )

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what will happen to 3:00!

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

PreviousNext

Return to 2006 Theme Camps