HUGE *probably impossible* green man art PLEASE HELP!!!!

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

HUGE *probably impossible* green man art PLEASE HELP!!!!

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:31 am

So... I gots me these idears. And no I don't typically speak like that. Well, I need help as to who to talk to. I want to organize something that is, I think, bigger than ever before.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE... I am trusting people with this idea, as we burn with love and compassion, and typically don't like to co opt proprietary ideas (except the moop fishing on the playa, that shit is memetic and golden)

SO... I want a BRC wide participation in a complete and total shutdown of all power and lights on Wednesday or Thursday night. I can speak about this in depth, but I need to know who to speak with and how to organize it. I cannot wait.... I have wanted this for years, and I think this green man theme 2007 is perfect.... for everyone to slow down and clam up and stare up... and reclaim our connection as to why we are out there.

HELP! How do I start this? This definitely isn't some sort of installation on the playa. Will this work?

Also... if anyone is into extreme stuff, with our green theme we could suggest any electronics or other things brought would be destroyed... and we could set off an EMP. I think that might be out of control impossible... to build, secure, and set off. It might destroy the circuitry in cars, but would be awesome. As much as that one is a far fetched joke, I would adore help with the former idea!!!! THANKS!
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
"Maturity is a bitter diasppointment,
for which no remedy exists, unless
laughter can be said to remedy
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

echo

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:55 am

echo echo... come on!
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby BAS » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:12 pm

You should probably post this somewhere else-- such as the "Get Involved" forum or the "2006 Theme" forum (or "2007 Theme" forum, when it gets set up).

An EMP would destroy automotive computer, as well as other electronics (such as pacemakers, insulin pumps, and other medical equipmet). Then again, I think creating one of any size would be prohibitively expensive.

Anyway, I just happened across your posts, and figured I should direct you to someplace where you might get more viewings.

B.
"Nothing is withheld from us which we have conceived to do.
Do things that have never been done."
--Russell Kirsch
BAS

Burning Since: 2006

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:21 pm

[quote="BAS"]You should probably post this somewhere else-- such as the "Get Involved" forum or the "2006 Theme" forum (or "2007 Theme" forum, when it gets set up).

An EMP [i]would[/i] destroy automotive computer, as well as other electronics (such as pacemakers, insulin pumps, and other medical equipmet). Then again, I think creating one of any size would be prohibitively expensive.

Anyway, I just happened across your posts, and figured I should direct you to someplace where you might get more viewings.

B.[/quote]

DIG IT! The forum seemed to be down for a couple days.... and in the meantime have started getting it taken care of through the art installation people... ladybug... hooray! I will repost though.. thanks!
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby Dork » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:51 pm

Interesting idea and all, might be worth a shot, but did it really require 5 seperate threads?
Dork

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:08 pm

[quote="Dork"]Interesting idea and all, might be worth a shot, but did it really require 5 seperate threads?[/quote]

ALWAYS... as I do not have a clue what I am doing. Which is the most pertinent. I will take the others down.

Hey "guy-who-has-so-much-extra-time-he-bags-on-people's-excitement-that-turns -into-wasted-bandwidth,-which-is-probably-a-chill-thing-to-bag-on..."

I only found this one, the one I left posted, and another one I changed. If you have all this time, tell me where my scatterbrain posted the others.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR LOOKING THOUGH... for real... I appreciate constructive feedback more than you probably know.
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby diane o'thirst » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:41 pm

I think killing the circuitry of tens of thousands of vehicles 100 miles from anywhere is a BAD idea. At the very best, you'd be leaving a trace big enough to kill the festival. At worst, you'll have tens of thousands of *very* panicky and pissed off people.

That having been said...it's a good idea to shoot for. Consider the stargazing opportunities that night (I noticed a LOT of light pollution this year). In fact, if that be the intention, why not have the "Lights Out" on Tuesday night when we're having the lunar eclipse?

What would be exceptionally cool is if we dowsed all the lights — except the green ones...
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:17 pm

...a very cool idea, but probably very difficult to pull off.

If an attempt were to be made at this, I would suggest trying to educate as many people as possible by using the Eplaya, getting it mentioned in JRS, getting it listed in the event guide, possibly posting flyers in JOTS (being very sure to collect them afterwards), and limiting it's duration to 30 minutes or so. And of course, it being totally voluntary accept the fact that some folks will choose not to participate. So strongly encourage folks to let those that choose not to participate do there own thing....
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

main point at bottom.

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:35 pm

[quote="dragonfly Jafe"]So strongly encourage folks to let those that choose not to participate do there own thing....[/quote]

The sheer magnitude of communication is the real issue... but that is why they are trying to get this approved right now.

And it would be printed everywhere, etc.

And other people would help too... I can't shut up about it.

I have talked with Lorin about DJ'ing it... the event. I am thinking keeping it MUCH MUCH less than 30... like 5 minutes. a minute of silence, and possibly 4 of howling or something, whatever.

BUT... it would be lovely to have the signal for the lights to go back up would be to see... for the first time ever outside the burn.... the mans arm's raise and light up.

And I think people will be well informed, because if I have to get this I will.... I would love to DJ on this thing... deep playa times...
http://www.hornmassive.com/

anyhoo... the main point...

By not participating, they are observers. And observers aren't allowed right? Anyhoo.. who in their right mind wouldn't want to participate?

Ooohh... "Scared of the dark camp" would probably flip out.

Huzzah.. thanks for your thoughts people. Already participating.. how'd ya like that!
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:01 pm

Getting 100% participation for even five minutes is pie-in-the-sky, but it would still be awesome if we had 50%, 60%, heck, 30% of the city darkened at moonrise. Shoot for 100, be happy with whatever we get.

A lot of camps in the city are mostly or fully dark at night anyway, maybe a solar lamp or a camping lantern or a string of faerie lights. That leaves the camps that *are* lit. If we can get even half of them to cut their power for a few minutes, we'd see 75% of BRC go dark and quiet.

We have eleven months, the word is getting spread already. What do you think of doing this on Tuesday night for the eclipse, Uncle Fishbits?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:33 pm

per; http://sunearth.gsfc.nasa.gov/eclipse/L ... Aug28T.GIF

the eclipse happens between 9:52 and 11:22, with the greatest happening at 10:37 (UT time). At BRC, that means it starts at 1:52, peaks at 2:37, and ends at 3:22 in the morning (if I figured it correctly).

So, how about 2:30am ???
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:44 pm

As Luna sinks towards the western mountains ringing the Playa, lights begin to dim across the Esplanade and Center Camp in anticipation of total occlusion of the moon in Earth's shadow.

Burners asleep in their beds, or trying to sleep, begin to notice that the thumpa thumpa that's almost sunk into the background of their consciousness is...tapering off. They look out the windows of their tents, campers, yurts, domes and liftbacks to see if it's really true...and looking west, spy that the moon is turning a deep BRONZE colour.

And then, out on the Playa, they hear the faint warbling of...can it be? A pack of wolves? And then the city is FILLED with wolfsong as lights dim all around them — including that reflected light bouncing off Moonrocks tens of thousands of miles away.

We will be the penultimate, perhaps the last chorus of honour and goodnight to Luna as She falls into the Umbra. It's possible that Californians will be staying up to view the celestial event, but probably not on a weeknight, and those crazy few who will be up probably won't howl.

AWESOME. Image
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Re: HUGE *probably impossible* green man art PLEASE HELP!!!!

Postby blyslv » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:07 am

Uncle Fishbits wrote: and reclaim our connection as to why we are out there.

!

That's where you lost me. I cannot accept anyone telling me how to approach a peice of art or performance. I hate mind control in all forms.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Re: HUGE *probably impossible* green man art PLEASE HELP!!!!

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:33 pm

[quote="blyslv"][quote="Uncle Fishbits"] and reclaim our connection as to why we are out there.

![/quote]

That's where you lost me. I cannot accept anyone telling me how to approach a peice of art or performance. I hate mind control in all forms.[/quote]

I know. I made you say that with my response. I knew you would.

;)
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby Barbie » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:12 pm

I Howl every full moon!!! Its something my Mommie Unit taught me to do...
If I were to wish ANYTHING I'd wish I were ME!!
Barbie

diane

Postby Uncle Fishbits » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:17 pm

that gave me chills... fantastic!

thank you for the good vibe.
Uncle Fishbits
Ubib Dubium Ibi Libertas
anything".
-Kurt Vonnegut
FIGHT WARS
NOT WAR
DESTROY POWER
NOT PEOPLE
Uncle Fishbits

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 pm

The playa often erupts in wolf howls right about sunset. It's spontaneous, or if the damn cacaphonists are involved I don't want to know.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby robotland » Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:49 am

I just hope that everyone in the front row at the eclipse will have the courtesy to SIT DOWN and BE QUIET and NOT RUIN ANYONE ELSE'S EXPERIENCE (by having their own).
The Rangers will establish a perimeter around the eclipse, for everyone's safety. Only LEOs, Rangers and fire performers will actually be allowed ON the lunar surface.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby felony » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:09 pm

This might just be rumor, but I heard that a certain un-named Kamp is going to kidnap the moon on night of said eclipse ( ransomed) until the series "Hogans Heroes" returns to Prime time Televison.
felony

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby robotland » Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:04 am

"I.....know.....NOTHINK!!!!!"

Ply me with apple strudel, though, und I might release details of this plot.........IN SPACE!!!!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby felony » Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:26 am

Maybe you could be PERSUADED to talk after consuming an entire bottle of cherry HERRING!
felony

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Return to 2005 Art & Performance