turn off avatars

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Postby III » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:34 pm

note: this forum is intended for feedback for the development team.

i only posted my hardware situation to point out that i'm not running a lowest common denominator system, not to solicit help on how to improve it. aside from that (and this, now) i've tried to restrict my comments to why certain choices might be valid design requirements.

discussions of how to set up your system for video or audio are probably better held somewhere where they won't interfere with the etf collecting feedback.

apologies to the web team for any contribution i may have made to thread drift.
III

Postby DE FACTO » Wed Nov 05, 2003 6:45 pm

III wrote:note: this forum is intended for feedback for the development team.

i only posted my hardware situation to point out that i'm not running a lowest common denominator system, not to solicit help on how to improve it. aside from that (and this, now) i've tried to restrict my comments to why certain choices might be valid design requirements.

discussions of how to set up your system for video or audio are probably better held somewhere where they won't interfere with the etf collecting feedback.

apologies to the web team for any contribution i may have made to thread drift.

The thread is "turn off avatars" and it is under the "feature requests"

it's not that much if any a drift. nor do I really need any help from you about setting up internet radio. all the questions posted here are related.

I realize you feel that you are God or something and I am less than so. which is fine by me.

You probally <plonked> my response to my idea about God anyway,

but I think you have proven to everybody that if you have a bad time with my point of view the best thing for YOU to do is be quiet. it tends to keep YOU out of trouble. or at least keeps your foot out of your mouth.

you were doing ok earlier and could have brought the topic back to avatars to be a little more productive.
DE FACTO

Postby precipitate » Wed Nov 05, 2003 7:31 pm

> does that sound like we are going in the right direction?

Yes. Thank you. Very much.
precipitate

Location: Somewhere near an ocean and a desert and a mountain

Postby Kinetic II » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:22 pm

PJ wrote:FWIW I have a fast PC, running an older (smaller) OS (WinME), with fast graphics hardware and a fast Internet connection. I'm geographically-farther from the various servers than are sundry Californians. And my E-Playa page load speeds and latency are both quite irritating, whereas the 3playa is nearly instantaneous. (Except for the occasional linked image, but those come from servers all over the world.)

Even when sitting at Sprint's Lee's Summit, MO POP site with all the bandwidth a person could dream of...I mean they have OC-48's running out of there, the lag time to the eplaya was irritating. I didn't visit Trey's site today but H's site was very fast.

Anyway enough of that, PJ raises a good point here. They seriously need to work on the load speed. And the page size info is very telling. Having sufficient bandwidth is becoming less of a problem, but it's still a problem. Coming from where I am, I see the best and worst and sometimes in the same day. I'm just glad that several are working on it, and I hope the side discussions don't turn into a tit for tat exchange.
Kinetic II

Postby DE FACTO » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:25 pm

Kinetic II wrote: I hope the side discussions don't turn into a tit for tat exchange.

don't worry it won't
DE FACTO

Postby DE FACTO » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:47 pm

Just to make some happy in this thread. I would like to create a thread for php, audio and video related topics to another thread. It would be nice for discussions on increased page speeds under the current conditions also to be discussed there.

All are welcome.

Thanks.
DE FACTO

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 05, 2003 8:54 pm

precipitate wrote:> does that sound like we are going in the right direction?

Yes. Thank you. Very much.

Bears repeating. Yes. Thank you. Very much.

Postby blikum » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:44 pm

Excellent. Thanks. We'll do it to it then.
blikum

Postby DE FACTO » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:48 pm

blikum wrote:Excellent. Thanks. We'll do it to it then.

if this is to me then thanks dood.
DE FACTO

Postby blikum » Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:56 pm

actually, it was directed at precipitate and abeerinthemorning for their thanks a couple posts back. it's really helpful to get positive feedback and confirmation we're heading in the right direction here.

\<>/
blikum

Postby DE FACTO » Wed Nov 05, 2003 11:00 pm

ok
DE FACTO

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:23 am

defacto --

Did you know every time a 100KB eplaya page generates, a kitten dies?

blikum --

Tx.
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby DE FACTO » Thu Nov 06, 2003 2:24 am

Bob wrote:defacto --

Did you know every time a 100KB eplaya page generates, a kitten dies?

blikum --

Tx.

Thanks Bob. I needed that.

(seriously you really made my day again. Thanks)
DE FACTO

Postby DE FACTO » Thu Nov 06, 2003 10:44 am

quote="Last Real Burner""You are a Nubew around these parts, aren't you. Thread Drift comes with the territory. It's the glue that keeps this place sliding around. "

Taken from:

viewtopic.php?t=2098&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
DE FACTO

Postby Bob » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:21 pm

On any given eplaya page of posts, there's about 5KB to 20KB of actual text (including navigation).

If you put it into a layout consisting of more than 150 table cells, a 10KB style sheet, 80KB of graphics, miscellaneous mods and formats and CGI scripts and permissions, and whatever who's-plonking-whom-or-what settings are in your personal prefs, and the server's being hammered by some volunteer coordinator looking through the db for volunteers with expertise in crepe paper and magic markers, pretty soon you might have a bored and cranky eplaya populace.

I won't live or die based on access speed, esthetics, choice of skin, accessibility, or whatever, but I think it's all worthwhile to think about. Sure, it's nice to have a rich-looking interface, if it doesn't hamper people's access and contributions.

And those insipid smileys staring me in the face -- can we put those in a pull-down menu?
Last edited by Bob on Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby DE FACTO » Thu Nov 06, 2003 12:24 pm

Bob wrote:On any given eplaya page of posts, there's about 5KB to 20KB of actual text (including navigation).

If you put it into a layout consisting of more than 150 table cells, a 10KB style sheet, 80KB of graphics, miscellaneous mods and formats and CGI scripts and permissions, and whatever who's-plonking-whom-or-what settings are in your personal prefs, and the server's being hammered by some volunteer coordinator looking through the db for volunteers with expertise in crepe paper and magic markers, pretty soon you have a bored and cranky eplaya populace.

who says you don't have that already
ha.
DE FACTO

Postby herself » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:47 am

> If you put it into a layout consisting of more than 150 table cells,

Hey I like my cells and I'm stickin w 'em!!!!

But then I go for format over function and of
course Bob would never do something silly like that.

hh
herself

Postby Booker » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:13 am

I like table organization, too, but leaner would be better both visually and for performance. Looking forward to the chance to lay it out that way for myself. And ditto Bob's plea to sink the smileys in a drop-down.
Booker

Previous

Return to Feature Requests