Giving Birth on the Playa

Giving Birth on the Playa

Postby icarus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:27 am

Has it been done before? The timing's right for me - I'm due on Thursday, Aug 31 and I think it would be a great start for a new life. I understand the risks I'd be taking, for myself as well as for my newborn. On the other hand, I recognize the potential for his/her arrival on earth to be among a warm and loving community. Basically I'm just writing to know if it's possible, if it can be done. Thanks for your help. PS -I'm a man.
icarus

birth on playa

Postby lothos 1162 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:44 am

I've been working with emergency services for 8 years,never heard of a birth on playa,but there is always a first.We have 2 medical outposts at 3:00 and 9:00,as well as Remsa medical in center camp,we can handle a birth,do you want to give birth on playa?Our first playa baby....maybe a life time ticket for baby and you,ask Larry.Andy(L-20,Medic 358)
lothos 1162

Close one...

Postby Alchemy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:16 am

I beleive the closest weve gotten was Lisa -the Drako Qieen, she intimated that she broke her water on the playa- pre burn by days(?) and missed the burn. I spoke with a woman and her husband @ the Red White and Blue beach side and shes due on the1st and is consulting her Doulah....it just keeps on getting bettah and bettah....
A
got fire?
Alchemy

Postby Das Bus » Fri Aug 18, 2006 4:26 am

Oh yeah, that brings up such great mammories...

My first year, I was sitting in a chair waiting to begin my LL duties, when one of the members came up and asked me if I was OK. Said yes. Then he said, "well, you take it easy, we've never had a birth on the playa". I looked up at him and said, "I'm not pregnant, I'm fat". That was the end of the conversation. : P
Medicated and Motivated!
Das Bus

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:45 am

I still say it's a bad idea. They don't call it "labor" because it's a breezy walk in the park. Have your baby in a positive loving but small community consisting of midwife, family, close friends. Birthing at the burn means you aren't going to fully experience either. Sort of like writing poetry at the symphony. What's the point?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby blyslv » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:26 am

I still think it would be interesting to study the effects of playa dust on young developing lungs.

Scratch that -- why would you risk exposing young developing lungs to playa dust, given how long it takes grown-up to cough it all out?
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby thejohnstamos » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:29 am

how can a man give birth?
thejohnstamos

Postby icarus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:06 am

how can a man give birth?

Well, that was my next question.
icarus

Postby joel the ornery » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:02 am

blyslv wrote:I still think it would be interesting to study the effects of playa dust on young developing lungs.

Scratch that -- why would you risk exposing young developing lungs to playa dust, given how long it takes grown-up to cough it all out?

considering the possible complications, giving birth on the playa seems unwise, to me.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby Kinetic IV » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:26 am

I'm reading this and sitting here in a state of totally stunned disbelief. She wants to have a baby, on the playa? Using a midwife or not I can't believe this is even being considered. Maybe I'm being closed minded but what if something goes wrong during birth? REMSA staff are world class but there's limits to what they can do out there. If something goes wrong it's a 3 hour ride in an ambulance to Reno, or a medivac helicopter ride out.

Now if she has a doula and everything goes like clockwork without trouble this will be something special. But life is never clear cut, things go wrong and not preparing for those complications is foolish at the least, potentially criminally negligent if it gets bad...and well i'll bite my tongue and shut up on the worst case side. Also if medical care is needed who's going to pay for this? Does the mother have insurance that would cover complications or a possible ambulance / helo ride out?

This may piss people off but I'm just hopeful this doesn't open the floodgates to people abusing the medical facilties the org is mandated to provide. This isn't the Free Health Clinic, nor a full service hospital. And with lots of things on the playa falling victim to the bigger is better, mission creep syndromes I just don't like the precedent this sets.

I know this is going to piss people off....but before you flame me sit back and think about it. Read what the BLM had in mind for emergency medical on the playa when they mandated the REMSA coverage. This is beyond the scope of the medical mission out there. Again....I feel this is the absolute worst idea I've heard of in relation to the entire event in the 7 or so years I've known about it. And if that was my significant other that was expecting...while I love the playa and BRC she wouldn't even be near enough to catch a whiff of playa dust on the wind, let alone be in BRC itself.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Lassen Forge » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:20 pm

On one hand, I think K4 has a point. If something DOES go wrong, it could go *really* wrong. There *are* Doctors, Midwives, Doulas, etc. out there, tho, so rough as it may be it may (repeat MAY) not be tragic. Crazy, Surprising, yes, but Tragic? Not likely. Rarely is a birth a tragedy...

ANd remember, Childbirth has been going on for millenia, and even in the desert children have been born for thousands of years. I wouldn't recommend it (after all, 95% of the people in BRC are city-dwelling American, not Bedu) but if God wills (there's some flame bait for you!)... Or if Allah wills (it IS the desert, after all)... it is what it is.

I'm looking at it this way. IF it happens, it does. If not, then it doesn't. And if the newborn survives, what tales it will tell when it's older. Hell, they may even be someone who is a great presence, brings mankind all together, etc., etc., etc...

And remember, you heard it here first!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby gaminwench » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:14 pm

We have a doula (midwife) at OBOP - she arrives on Weds and will be with us until Monday. Ojai Bureau of Pleasure (OBOP) is on the Esplanade at 8:37.
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Das Bus » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:18 pm

Personally, I had to have an emergancy c-section with my first born. Who knew? My sisters, my mother, my grandmother etc... never had a problem. I was healthy, no problems whatsoever. But when the time came, who could've guessed that me with the 'childbearing' hips would not dialate past 2, and the baby would go into distress? I'm glad I was in a hospital.

I think you should be at the best hospital, with the best doctors. But then so many women (American) have their babies at home with no problem. Heck! Wasn't there some teenager a while back that had her kid in the bathroom at the prom, and then went back to dancing like nothing happened? Of course she was psycho, but nonetheless, she did continue in prom festivities!

Of course, we're all missing the main point here: This is a LNT event. Who's gonna clean up the afterbirth? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Medicated and Motivated!
Das Bus

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:41 am

Points for Kinetic and Das Bus.

Although, I suppose, the afterbirth, suitably cooked, could be fed to hungary burners. Placenta, it's the new Bacon.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:10 am

Bacon? I wish there was an easy way to fix bacon without the mess on the playa. Anyway I'll pass on the placenta stuff.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby Das Bus » Mon Aug 21, 2006 10:09 am

theCryptofishist wrote:Points for Kinetic and Das Bus.

Although, I suppose, the afterbirth, suitably cooked, could be fed to hungary burners. Placenta, it's the new Bacon.

BAWHAHAHA! I just lost my appetite!

Forget worrying about if someone is drugging your drink - watch out for potlucks!
Medicated and Motivated!
Das Bus

Postby diskokitty » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:15 pm

if a baby dies on the playa i'm sure that will be the end of any burningman
diskokitty

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:18 pm

diskokitty wrote:if a baby dies on the playa i'm sure that will be the end of any burningman

I disagree. There have been tragedies out there before and the event continues.
Kinetic IV

Postby diskokitty » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:19 pm

[quote="Kinetic IV"][quote="diskokitty"]if a baby dies on the playa i'm sure that will be the end of any burningman[/quote]

I disagree. There have been tragedies out there before and the event continues.[/quote]

yeah, but this would turn into a children's rights issue
diskokitty

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:21 pm

I remember someone's baby got killed at Rainbow Gathering 1984...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Well, the org has experience at battling stuff like that. We had the behind the scenes people in the Kathy Lampman case take their shot at taking out the event, then it was StopBM (cough), and I'm sure others could add to the list.

Since you are talking children's rights I want to be very careful and not trivialize things...but it's just another obstacle / issue to overcome. And if there's a community that has the resources and resolve to do it it's this one.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Re: Giving Birth on the Playa

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:38 pm

icarus wrote:Has it been done before? The timing's right for me - I'm due on Thursday, Aug 31 and I think it would be a great start for a new life. I understand the risks I'd be taking, for myself as well as for my newborn. On the other hand, I recognize the potential for his/her arrival on earth to be among a warm and loving community. Basically I'm just writing to know if it's possible, if it can be done. Thanks for your help. PS -I'm a man.

Did anyone really read this post, or just the subject line?

All potential cautionary comments and warm thoughts about real childbirth aside......

Icarus, you need not await, but, Playa and community just helps one's soul reach the inner self to understand what gifting a new life to the world can be all about.

Yes, I know it is possible.................. What Will It Be?

Beer for you in the EPlaya Bar when the re-birth is complete
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:05 pm

Damn. Speedreading burned me again!
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby oleg8888 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:08 am

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!! :shock:
Are you high or something?
oleg8888

c-section

Postby jenn_nc » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:02 pm

I would triple check that EMS can handle surgery in BRC as in a C-Section just in case. My guess is that they would triage any surgery cases to Reno. Mother and chilld would seem to be at risk if anything went poorly regarding child birth in BRC. Please don't even consider giving birth in BRC, there is too much at stake.
Being a transexual isn't confusing, it's fun
jenn_nc

Postby ZaphodBurner » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:45 pm

Probably too late to comment on this now, but... Skipped the burn this year because of the expected delivery of our daughter on the 29th or, as my wife told everybody "Tuesday of Burning Man" (she arrived on the 15th, which, if she's truly mine, will be the last time she's early to anything in her life.)

Having seen what my wife and baby went through--the required epidural, epesiotomy, stitches, medical tests, critical blood-sugar levels and bela...billi...bellyrubbin' (?)... issues...

I just can't see how anything good could come of it. I get the 'surrounded by loving and supportive community' thing, but... there's no shortage of love and support in a hospital delivery area or nursery, and in addition there's surgeon if things get really ugly.

We sure as hell thought about it, though! :> Mama's glad the baby came early, too, 'cause, uh, we didn't want to have to reschedule all those future birthday parties.

-c
"The Red Baron is smart.. He never spends the whole night dancing and drinking root beer.. "-The WWI Flying Ace
ZaphodBurner

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: The Green Hour 2012 - 9:00 & D

Congrats Zaphod and family!

Postby kikidelosfeliz » Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:09 am

We have a one year old, nicknamed Blaze as we met at BM two years ago. Even though this topic was started by a man (did read!), and I assume the birth referred to is something other than an actual baby...it is worth repeating for those first time moms to be who think it cool to have the first burning baby that fresh-minted infant lungs and playa dust are probably not a good combo. In fact, lots of bebes have trouble breathing at first in dust free environs. Also, having done it twice myself, I can vouch that birth is not for the faint of heart, and better done somewhere clean and with lots of water (although come to think of it, you might get better pain killers on the playa). I totally agree with the question of why give birth on the playa when you will enjoy neither, but can't think of a further off analogy than writing poetry at the symphony! More like committing harikari at a rave. Anyway, we'll be back hopefully next year, maybe try out Kidsville. I'm definitely pining for you all! Love Kiki
cognitive dissident
kikidelosfeliz

Postby mdmf007 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 9:58 am

Birth really isnt that big a deal, i mean hell we were all born once. The problem is when it goes wrong. REMSA is a great company, and ESD is staffed with docs from just about every discipline, but we are not set up for births as far as I know.

I would be willing to stake my life on it that the second ESD / REMSA got involved in a birth, a helicopter would be spun up to take you to Reno. Its a 30 minute flight, so you would be gone quickly.

Child birthing is one of the highest risk medical practices you can be engaged in. Many doctors have switched disciplines as the malpractoce insurance is so cost prohibitive. Because when it goes wrong, it goes wrong quickly. ESD has no NICU, and I dont recall seeing incubators maybe we have them somewhere - never needed them as far as I know.

My last point is this. The doctors that are present and volunteering are well trained and from diverse backgrounds. They would certainly jump right in and do what they can to ensure a safe delivery for baby and mother; but why put them in that position? I believe it is unfair, selfish, and dangerous to come to the playa knowing you are going to give birth. It is certainly going to result in costs to BM medical and exposure of new lungs to alkali dust

On the other hand it is your right as an American to risk your life, your babies life, and do as you wish. There may be a price paid for this decision that other people will have to deal with.

just my two cents
later all
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Tools for birthing..

Postby Stagger » Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:09 pm

They may be well equipped ... but I really doubt they have the machine that goes "PING" out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arCITMfxvEc
http://www.stagger.net

I was born naked and penniless. And look what I have managed to do since then.
Stagger

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:00 am

They can make the "birth coach" say "ping" every few seconds--
oh forget it, it would be 3rd world "yorkshire" condistions on the playa anyway. Bring an ironing board.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Return to 2006 Theme Camps