Bringing Musical Instruments to Burning man

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Bringing Musical Instruments to Burning man

Postby domper » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:13 pm

Hey everyone this is my first time coming up to burning man. I've been wanting to do this for a very long time, but never had the time or money. This year my band got a time slot to play so we're gonna be traveling up there with all of our instruments. I play the cello and i was a little concerned about what would happen to it after 5 days at BM. If anyone has any ideas or tips on how to safely bring my cello there and back, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
domper

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:43 pm

I don't know a lot about this, but I know someone who plays Viola and doesn't bring her good one to the playa. It's very dry and I understand that it can damage the wood.

sorry I don't know more.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bin Noddin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:54 pm

Domper - check this thread for others' experience & advice.
http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?p=230843&highlight=viola#230843
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

making a humidifier

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:25 am

If you're bringing an instrument with any wood on it at all, I would suggest making a little humidifier for the case....which is easy to do: cut up a piece of sponge and put it in a 35mm film container. Poke holes in the lid with an icepick. Wet (but don't sop) the sponge as you get to Nevada. Once on the playa, you'll be amazed how just that little thing will hit your face with a wave of humidity when you open up the case.

All that being said, the wood will likely crack anyway to some degree. I've addressed this by buying a fairly cheapo guitar that has a synthetic body and heavy lacquer and paint on the wooden top. So far so good.....
waltsnipe

Return to 2006 Art & Performance