Question about bent dome conduit

Materials and expertise...whether you need them or have them to share, you can let folks know here.

Question about bent dome conduit

Postby jahreed » Mon Jul 24, 2006 12:40 pm

Hey lovely peeps :)

I had a quick question for the domers out there...

We've got a 4v 30ft dome made out of 1/2" conduit.

Last weekend we had a minor catastrophe with the structure nearly collapsing in high winds (not properly secured, a sail rigged to it etc..etc...).

some of the conduit was bent (not creased at all or broken/split) to varying degrees. I was able to manually bend the pieces back into nearly perfect straightness.

My question is as follows-
Is there any danger/risk in using these pipes?

cheers
jr
chicago
RadioFreeValhalla05-Chicago/Detroit
jahreed

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:10 pm

Ok, first off, I have to question the wisdom of using 1/2" for such a large structure... ;)

anyway..

You should be ok. The forces on the struts are actualy trying to rip them apart. If the bolt at a juction were to suddenly dissapear, the struts would spring apart. The whole structure is under tension, not compression.

Get them as straight as you can and make doublely sure there are no cracks around the bolt holes and you should be ok.

Again... I'm a bit surprised that 1/2" was used. 3/4" minimum should really be the rule... :)
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby EspressoDude » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:15 pm

Not much more risk than before.

Sounds way to weak for a dome that big.. If it collapsed at home, it will collapse on the playa, possibly injuring people.

Cap..for every tension there has to be a matching compression somewhere.

Probably should be 1" EMT, or a tissue paper cover that shreds at 15-20 mph wind.
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:26 pm

E-Dude is right. I re-looked at my book and yes, about half the struts are under compression.

I like the tissue paper idea. We're talking 60-70mph winds out there easy. If it failed once already... People have gotten badly hurt from domes going down. And We're not talking about the owners, but their neighbors.

No offence, but I wouldn't want to be camped anywhere near you man. The conduit on that dome for the size is just too small...
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

capjbadger

Postby blyslv » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:30 pm

Use camo netting to cover it. It sheds the wind and provides decent shade, especially if doubled.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

thanks

Postby jahreed » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:10 pm

let me stress that last weekends collapse was not due to structural weakness but instead a HUGE SAIL ATTACHED TO A DOME THAT WAS NOT REBARED DOWN AT ALL...there, i've said it-flame on!

Basically, I think that it can be chalked up to user error.

Also, I appreciate your concern regarding the 1/2" conduit. We knew that 3/4" was recomended but couldn't afford nor did we have the room to haul that much pipe.

I think last years 70MPH windstorm was a pretty decent test for the big guy....and he passed with flying colors. Possibly we are slightly more wind oblivious because we're using cut/grommeted triangles for shade that are secured at the corners by ball bungies (god i love ball bungies).

it's the radio free valhalla dome from chicago if anyone cares.
cheers
jr
jahreed

Re: thanks

Postby capjbadger » Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:46 pm

jahreed wrote:let me stress that last weekends collapse was not due to structural weakness but instead a HUGE SAIL ATTACHED TO A DOME THAT WAS NOT REBARED DOWN AT ALL...there, i've said it-flame on!

Basically, I think that it can be chalked up to user error.

Ahh.. thats a bit different. :)

*Smacks wrist* Bad Domer! No Bacon! ;)

Well you know better now then. Glad no one was hurt. :)

capjbadger

Postby jahreed » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:52 am

Thanks for your help guys

Do I have a definitive answer to this question of bent EMT integrity.
again-none of the pipes are creased, split or broken in any way.

thanks.
jahreed

Postby trilobyte » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:25 pm

I'm guessing that the consensus is that it ought to be okay, though most people reading this thread would still be nervous about being in the structure when it gets windy lol...

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Return to 2011 Share Resources