Freecycle - hop on board!

All things outside of Burning Man.

Freecycle - hop on board!

Postby Nutmeg Alfredo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:29 pm

For those in need of things

head to http://www.freecycle.org

Find your local freecycle (or learn how to start your own). Here's the press release from the one I got going in Portland

Contact Information:

Nutmeg Alfredo
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecycleportland
freecycleportland-owner@yahoogroups.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: October 31, 2003

“Freecycle Portland: Turning Trash Into Treasure”

PORTLAND, OREGON - Freecycle Portland is proud to announce the launch of its community recycling e-mail list and message board. Based on the adage that “one person’s trash is another person’s treasure,” Freecycle Portland connects people who want to get rid of junk with those who want free stuff. Anyone looking to discard or acquire an item is welcome at Freecycle Portland, where all items listed are absolutely free.

Established in September 2003 and hosted by Yahoo Groups, the Freecycle Portland board serves the Portland Metro area. Signing up for the group is simple; for instructions, see Freecycle Portland’s web page at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/freecycleportland .

Freecycle Portland is inspired by and modeled after the Tucson Freecycle Network, founded in March 2003 and recently profiled in the September/October 2003 issue of Utne magazine. Created by the non-profit group “Downtown Don't Waste It,” the Tucson Freecycle Network has sparked a worldwide “freecycling” revolution, with groups in 3 dozen cities and several countries so far. For a broad view of the freecycling movement, visit http://www.freecycle.org.

According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Americans recycle approximately 28% of our garbage, thus keeping 64 million tons of waste out of landfills across the country. Freecycle Portland would like to see the nation’s rate of recycling rise even higher. Portland residents are invited to join Freecycle Portland and freecycle their trash rather than just tossing it away.

[b]We're looking for participants - get in touch!
Nutmeg Alfredo

Postby Skyhawk » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:29 pm

wow.. how many times can you post the same thing in different places.. its so.. creative and original..
Skyhawk

Freecycle - sorry about that!

Postby Nutmeg Alfredo » Thu Oct 30, 2003 12:42 pm

:(

whoops. Hey, very sorry about that and open to suggestion. Is there a way, or is it worth doing - to remove some of the posts?

I just posted it 4 times in four different places. Figuring that different people go to different places for their info. Didn't realize people would be offended.

Trying to get the word out on this gifting service...

Nutmeg

:oops:
Nutmeg Alfredo

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Nov 01, 2003 12:41 am

Some things are worth repeating, as they get out to people who may not overlap another outlet. A resource like Freecycle is one of them.

Don't worry about it :)

BTW, I'm on FreecyclePDX, too :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby aforceforgood » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:04 am

diane o'thirst wrote:Some things are worth repeating, as they get out to people who may not overlap another outlet. A resource like Freecycle is one of them.

Don't worry about it :)

BTW, I'm on FreecyclePDX, too :D

I'm one of those people. Thanks Nut. I agree with the multiple posts for useful stuff like freecycle until we can knock out some of the walls in this place...
aforceforgood

Freecycle: Latest development

Postby Nutmeg Alfredo » Mon Nov 03, 2003 10:42 am

Just got word that a couple of folks are going to start up Freecycles in India (3). Imagine a world where everyone was freecycling. I'm down with that. Someone decided to hold a free yard sale and posted it on our list in Portland.

Nutmeg[/img]
Nutmeg Alfredo

Return to Open Discussion