Jacuzzi Bus

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Jacuzzi Bus

Postby lapeer20m » Tue Jul 18, 2006 11:27 pm

"You can't put a full size 8 person jacuzzi in a bus, that would never work!" That conversation is how it all began......

The Black Plague II as she is offically known will once again be making the trip from michigan to the playa.

for those of you who haven't seen the bus in person or online, here is her website:

http://geocities.com/blackplaguetour/

The past couple years she camped with the Black Rock International Burner Hostel, but we're changing things up in 2006. The Black Plague and her 500 gallons of crystal clear water will be camping with the crazy canadians helping to make C4 happen this year. When i find out our address i'll post that. Hopefully i'll catch many of my playa friends again this year.

The jacuzzi is not a public pool, the burningman folks want me to be pretty clear about that. I've e-mailed back and forth and spoke on the phone with the guy from the state of nevada who handles public pools, and him and I got things all straightened out. So again, the jacuzzi is not a public pool! Ok, glad we had this conversation

we have a new and improved super filtration system that uses 3 pumps and multiple filters that all are NSF compliant and have the capability to remove playa dust from the water. Ther also lots of chlorine and other assorded chemicals on hand. Don't even ask how much money is costs to keep the water clean for the week! The look on peoples faces when they see a full size jacuzzi with sparkling water in the middle of the desert makes any expense well worth it!
lapeer20m

Postby trilobyte » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:09 pm

You, sir, are a madman. And by madman, I mean genius! That looks like one of the most kickass and fun projects ever! Can't wait to see you out on the playa!

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby lapeer20m » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:04 pm

thanks....I am pretty wacked out!
lapeer20m

Postby dragonfly Jafe » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:50 am

...any chance you might post some details on that super filter system, in case someone wanted to follow in your crystal clear footsteps?
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer
dragonfly Jafe

Postby Jewel*** » Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:39 am

that is the COOLEST thing i've ever seen!!!!! Definitely see ya on the playa............
Jewel***

Postby oleg8888 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:06 pm

:shock:
Detailes!! Please, Please, Please.
Always wanted to tow a tub on a trailer across playa
oleg8888

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:10 pm

It's a good kind of wacked, my friend...

Yeah, at some point I'd like more detail. If you're crunched for time building the new beast, hold off and update us when you get a breather. I loved the pics and your narrative on your web site.

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby lapeer20m » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:12 am

i'm leaving for a weeklong road trip to cali and back tomorrow....

This is my 3rd year with the jauzzi (2nd bus) on the playa, and i've gained tons of expierence filtering playa out of the water.

the first year i used a regular swimming pool filter rated @ 10,000 gallons per hour.

The sand filter does a great job filtering water, but it's not fine enough to remove playa dust.

Last year i used cartridge type drinking water filters rated @ 20 micron with a single pump.

these did an excellent job removing playa from the water, but couldn't really keep up with demand. Every few hours i would make people leave the jacuzzi for an hour or two, then the water clairity would return.

the improvements i've made for this year should help solve 2 problems. first, i added 2 more pumps and filters to filter more water faster. I also combined the sand filled pool filter to pre-filter the water with the cartdrige filters to remove any left over debris. this should use a lot fewer cartridge filters saving a good deal of money while still filtering water at a high rate of speed.

I also added a super size drinkin water cartdrige filter

i actually brough playa home with me just for research and development.
lapeer20m

Postby Fire Wire » Sat Jul 22, 2006 9:24 am

Well, I look forward to enter that bus again, YOU ROCK.... We been there in 2004 if you can remember some norwegians.... We're back!!!!!! We where 2 persons in 2004 and this year we will be 6. My best vacation ever!
Fire Wire
Terminal City
www.campherring.com
Fire Wire

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:06 pm

Those buses are amazing. I bow down before you!

I just hope you don't have it up on the hydraulics when a dust storm hits.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lapeer20m » Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:28 pm

a little off topic, but i am in reno now. I spent the nite on the playa last nite. I was the only one around for miles, it was pretty intense. Didn't realize how HUGE the playa is.

I just decided to do another "project" for the burn. As soon as i get back to michigan i'm gonna start on the human centrefuge.....it'll be a competition between 2 people to see who can handle more G-force.
lapeer20m

Postby trilobyte » Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:13 pm

Thanks for the update, man... how was the playa? Was it still wet?

~Trilo~
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:57 pm

Welcome back, Mr. J! Great to know you will be again making it all happen for the happy humans. Sounds like some blissful improvements on filtration.

I almost put my toe in the water in '04, then I looked at some of the wiring by the rim and chickened out. Got those junction boxes under control? I had a love/hate relationship with them becuase you kindly and repeatedly offered your genny to charge the Time Machine Mutant Vehicle batteries.

Hat's off and don't let anybody axe you in the back. 9-).
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby lapeer20m » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:47 pm

playa was dry and dusty. Not really any different than it was during the burn last year.

sorry i missed ya while i was in reno mr. jellyfish.....

where's your sence of adventure? you dont like the mix of electricity and water? seriously, the bus has undergone a major overhaul since the last burn, including nearly all the electrical. Everything still runs off of a GFI which is far safer than a regular circuit breaker. A GFI trips in 1:30th of a second if any of the 110 volt appliances were to come in contact with too much moisture.

Remember, SAFETY 3rd!! lol
lapeer20m

Postby Mister Jellyfish Mister » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:20 pm

lapeer20m wrote:playa was dry and dusty. Not really any different than it was during the burn last year.

sorry i missed ya while i was in reno mr. jellyfish.....

where's your sence of adventure? you dont like the mix of electricity and water? seriously, the bus has undergone a major overhaul since the last burn, including nearly all the electrical. Everything still runs off of a GFI which is far safer than a regular circuit breaker. A GFI trips in 1:30th of a second if any of the 110 volt appliances were to come in contact with too much moisture.

Remember, SAFETY 3rd!! lol

Gotcha. Grount Fault Inner-Nut. Maybe I thought it was 220 volt or was just too chicken or some other stupid fear that makes one hesitate vs. participate. Kersplash say I!
Art cred: Georgie Boy 2011: www.mutantvehicle.com/georgie_boy.htm ; Ein Hammer 2010; Fluffer 2009; Zsu Zsu 2008; U-Me 2007; Mantis 2006; MiniMan and Pikes Of Paranoia 2005; Time Machine Mutant Vehicle 2004. www.MutantVehicle.com
Mister Jellyfish Mister

Postby SargentPepper » Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:59 am

Hey Jason!
Glad you can make it back! I have been following her adventures...

That was once surreal moment sitting in your jacuzzi, waving to the passers by with the biggest grin on my face. And cooling my scorching Scottish skin.

Cheers for all your wonderful efforts with the hostel and the beacon to help me home at night!

Nice one :)
You're such a lovely audience...
SargentPepper

Postby poeticphoto » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:05 pm

I never got the chance to enjoy the jacuzzi, but after the '04 burn my luggage almost got to... i was one of the many people who you shuttled to hagey's house after the event... remember that cliff side turn we made with the railing missing in one spot where someone had obviously went over? ...not to mention litterally rolling (out of gas) and just making it to the first gas station that had desel... was the best way to end my vacation man, thanks for all you've done in the past and glad to see you making it out there again!
poeticphoto

Postby lapeer20m » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:52 pm

running out of diesel with the petrol station in plain view was priceless! In retrospect, I should have thrown in a gallon or two of gasoline before we left the playa. A little gas in your diesel is ok if you have a mechinacally injected engine. My diesel mercedes benz manual actually recommends up to 20% gasoline during the winter months.

I did fill up before heading to the playa, but i donated 10 or 15 gallons of diesel to the guy who welded the tow bar back together for the car i was towing. Come to think of it....04 was kind of a disaster lol

As far as the jacuzzi project, I've been going to various home depot and wal-mart stores buying all of the water filters they have on the shelves. They only stock about 6 or so at a time. I want to make sure i have more than i need for the burn.
lapeer20m

Postby waltsnipe » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:20 am

I'm speechless.....Congrats on the fabulous execution of a wild idea, done with style. You have taken power lounging to a whole new level. Ever thought about making it tiki inside? :-)

I look forward to seeing you cruise about the playa. If you're out and about on Tues. night, come by SCARAB Camp (locaed at 7:30/Brave) for our Night in a Blender Dance. We'll give you a CD of the night's mix, a shot of Brazilian cachaca, and otherwise treat you right. It's from 8-10:45pm. Look for the two life-sized Shivas having a tug-of-war, and for a circle of flags in the middle. We're next door to our sister theme camp, Radio Electra.

Long live Black Plague II!
waltsnipe

Postby soupman » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:57 pm

Lapeer- Was that your bus at the Detroit Theatre Noir Fundraiser? I was the DJ who was the first one in that puppy that night... WHAT A FANTASTIC AND WELCOME SURPRISE!!!! :D We're staying at the Black Rock Housing Authority this year, hope to run into you along the way!

(Incedentally, I lost a silver Bulova watch on that bus that evening... you haven't seen it by any chance? :))
soupman

Postby Nickel » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:01 pm

That is amazing. I must visit your lovely bus.
"This is not about love, because I am not in love"

Camp Team says, "Go Team!"
Nickel

Postby lapeer20m » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:35 pm

soupman wrote:Lapeer- Was that your bus at the Detroit Theatre Noir Fundraiser? I was the DJ who was the first one in that puppy that night... WHAT A FANTASTIC AND WELCOME SURPRISE!!!! :D

(Incedentally, I lost a silver Bulova watch on that bus that evening... you haven't seen it by any chance? :))

I appologize as i have not yet cleaned the bus out since the Theatre Noir party. I was out in cali for a while, and am now back working feverishly on BM projects. Your watch is not anywhere obvious, but if i find it hiding in the bus i'll be sure to let you know. Fuzzy called me when i was out in LA to see if i had found it. I'll call her if i do, or shoot you an e-mail. I'll try to make a point of looking for your watch tomorrow.

and to the other guy that hoped to see me driving around....The bus is not an art car, so it'l lbe parked all week. Last year i jumped through all the pre-approval hoops and got my "ok to bring it to dmv" letter, but i was denied as an art car by the dmv. I was told it wasn't mutated enough.

and yes, i had a conversation not too long ago about making the inside of the bus tiki.....and i think i need a fountain too!
lapeer20m

looking forward to meeting you again

Postby edyersh » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:23 am

hey Jason! I'm camping with C4 this year too. I was at the BRC hostel last year too. And I was at the Toronto Decomp too. So I think we'll actually meet this time.

So you went from Detroit to Cali to the Playa then to Toronto and now you're going back to the Playa? That's a lot of back and forth and I like it.

See you in about 11 days monster bus man!
edyersh

Re: Jacuzzi Bus

Postby CampCounsellorBRAD » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:01 am

Hi!

This is Camp Counsellor Brad, Chief Crazy Canuck of Crazy Canadian Cosmic Cat Camps... (on 4:30 plaza.. where the bus will be).

Because this is not a public pool(see below), and because the filters and fuel and Chemicals are so expensive... we have "Hang-About" Memberships... (You have to pronounce it right to get in... "Hang-aBOOT" ) it IS the Crazy Canucks!... If any of you want to come sit in the Hot Tub, ya got to have a membership @ $20. Email me at Bdixon@ M S N . C o m (we are getting full, so there will not be memberships available on the Playa!... (yucky money stuff).

I am only opening this up to people on this list (just cause you expressed an interest/thought it was cool enough to post.

Cheers,
ccBrad.

PS email mem first to see if there are spots left... Jason can only find so many filters!

[quote="lapeer20m"]"You can't put a full size 8 person jacuzzi in a bus, that would never work!" That conversation is how it all began......

The Black Plague II as she is offically known will once again be making the trip from michigan to the playa.

for those of you who haven't seen the bus in person or online, here is her website:

http://geocities.com/blackplaguetour/

The past couple years she camped with the Black Rock International Burner Hostel, but we're changing things up in 2006. The Black Plague and her 500 gallons of crystal clear water will be camping with the crazy canadians helping to make C4 happen this year. When i find out our address i'll post that. Hopefully i'll catch many of my playa friends again this year.

The jacuzzi is not a public pool, the burningman folks want me to be pretty clear about that. I've e-mailed back and forth and spoke on the phone with the guy from the state of nevada who handles public pools, and him and I got things all straightened out. So again, the jacuzzi is not a public pool! Ok, glad we had this conversation

...![/quote]
CampCounsellorBRAD

Postby soupman » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:29 am

lapeer20m wrote: I appologize as i have not yet cleaned the bus out since the Theatre Noir party. I was out in cali for a while, and am now back working feverishly on BM projects. Your watch is not anywhere obvious, but if i find it hiding in the bus i'll be sure to let you know. Fuzzy called me when i was out in LA to see if i had found it. I'll call her if i do, or shoot you an e-mail. I'll try to make a point of looking for your watch tomorrow.

No worries whatsoever man, it was totally worth it! :lol: Actually, I dropped an LED headlamp in the back of the bus as well, but you can just have that. *grin*

<------ always losing his shit

SEE YOU SOON!!!!! :mrgreen:
soupman

Postby lapeer20m » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:36 pm

i went through and tidied up the bus and found niether the headlamp or the watch. I looked a lot of places, but there are lots of nooks and cranies some of which are not easily accessable. The space behind the jacuzzi is known as "the abyss" things often dissapear when then end up there lol

Post burn i will do an extensive clean-up of the bus, including removing pretty much everything except hte jacuzzi so i can spray it out with a garden hose. If your watch is in there, i'll find it then.

Camp counselor Brad is my partner in crime. He's the one that makes sure i don't go broke running this operation! I have been going aroudn once or twice a week to all the local home-depot, wal-mart, and tractor supply stores buying all of the filters they have on the shelves trying amass a large enough stock pile to get us through the week.

Prepare yourselves for sparkling clean water
lapeer20m

Postby lapeer20m » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:37 pm

i went through and tidied up the bus and found niether the headlamp or the watch. I looked a lot of places, but there are lots of nooks and cranies some of which are not easily accessable. The space behind the jacuzzi is known as "the abyss" things often dissapear when then end up there lol

Post burn i will do an extensive clean-up of the bus, including removing pretty much everything except hte jacuzzi so i can spray it out with a garden hose. If your watch is in there, i'll find it then.

Camp counselor Brad is my partner in crime. He's the one that makes sure i don't go broke running this operation! I have been going aroudn once or twice a week to all the local home-depot, wal-mart, and tractor supply stores buying all of the filters they have on the shelves trying amass a large enough stock pile to get us through the week.

lapeer20m

Postby lapeer20m » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:37 pm

lapeer20m

Postby soupman » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:31 am

<----- Just sent in the membership fee :D

Lapeer- Yeah, I totally dropped the headlamp into the "Abyss"... I totally thought it was a side shelf and didn't even look hehe

Looking forward to meeting you all!

Nate
soupman

Postby lapeer20m » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:15 pm

I currently have 110 filter cartdriges for the jacuzzi. last year i only had about 25 or so, but i ran out near the end of the week.

WE should be more than good this year
lapeer20m

Next

Return to 2006 Art & Performance