Eugene, Oregon

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Would you participate in Burning Man activities held in Eugene?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:15 pm

Yes
100%
No
No votes

Total votes : 15

Eugene, Oregon

Postby shogan » Wed Sep 03, 2003 3:15 pm

I met a fair amount of people from Eugene, and would like to cultivate a local group - both as a resource and a community to maintain the spirit and values of Burning Man through out the year. Together we can do it! Keep in touch.

Shogan
shogan

Postby headtrp » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:02 pm

make it happen. Decide if it is to be just prior to BM, just after, or during the winter solstice.
headtrp

Postby nymphgonebad » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:34 pm

a cleaner, greener burn...very interesting.

hrh - the princess
nymphgonebad

Re: Eugene, Oregon

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:38 pm

shogan wrote:I met a fair amount of people from Eugene, and would like to cultivate a local group - both as a resource and a community to maintain the spirit and values of Burning Man through out the year.

Several things —

There is a Eugene Burners list on Topica.

Also, before the Burn, we were talking about gathering together an arts co-op and renting out the big red barn/warehouse on E. 8th and Ferry Street. We've done some research into the building and found it's almost perfect for a workshop/storage/event space: 7000 square feet, overhead crane, doors at either end, lockable storage cabinets and a room off to the side that can be secured, an 800-sq foot office with baseboard heating, restroom and hardwood floors that can be used as an art gallery, fenced-in yard.

We've been quoted a lease price of 31¢ a square foot, so we're shooting for at least 10-12 dependable people to participate. Co-op members could use the space for their projects — a flatbed truck could be pulled through the building and the ceiling is estimated at 24 feet so tall installations, domes, tipis, et alia could be worked on in there. Members could also give lessons, demonstrations, conduct workshops; we could hold fundraisers, decompressions, art events et alia there because it's an industrial section of town, no neighbours to complain about the noise :)

We haven't figured out exactly how much to charge each member a month because of several factors (initial charter papers, security and insurance being two), but we're guessing it'll be around $200 a month. It depends on how many people throw their bid into the co-op charter.

This is for real: we have the guy who co-founded the Maude Kern Arts Centre on board.

The Eugene Burners usually gather at the 5th Street Beanery at 8pm on the last Thursday each month. Come on out!
diane o'thirst

Postby OregonRed » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:50 pm

OK,we're not in Eugene, but we're pretty close to you in Salem. We throw an event every year in June called the Gemini Party. It's a rockin' good time, created by burners, for burners. For info send inquries to: geminiparty2003@yahoo.com We would love to see you there.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 17, 2003 10:25 pm

OregonRed wrote:OK,we're not in Eugene, but we're pretty close to you in Salem. We throw an event every year in June called the Gemini Party.

Do you accept Gemini Ascendants, too? :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby OregonRed » Thu Sep 18, 2003 7:31 am

Hell,yeah. The Gemini thing is just the excuse to get together and have a kick ass party. Of course, Gemini sun folks (and folks from out of state) get in free.
M*A*S*H 4207 We're not doctors.

"Just be yourself. All the good personalities are taken." stolen from my amazing friend Dwayne Gerken's fb status post.

OregonRed

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207

Postby Raheer » Sun Sep 28, 2003 9:44 pm

And Greshamites who don't drive? (Epilepsy. The idea of me behind the wheel of something when I have a seizure. Uhheheh... ((shivers))) Do they get a break on something? Hmmm?

Seriously, Raheer really likes the idea of a burn-related event in Duckville, if Raheer can find a way to get there....

Raheer
Raheer

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:30 pm

Raheer, can you take the train?

Amtrak stops right in the middle of downtown, the station is only a couple blocks from where we get together (theoretically) at 5th Street Beanery, and only four blocks as the crow flies to a happenin' nightclub district.

See about training down from Gresham, we'd love to see ya! :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

salem

Postby unjonharley » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:05 am

I hate to admit, I also live in Salem. Would be nice to party/w same. I go to Springfielld two weekend a month. Am pluged into PDX burners and PDX Cacophonics.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Wanted: Workshop Space

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Oct 15, 2003 3:29 pm

Apologies if this is repeated material...trying to cover all bases...

I'm looking to go in on a workspace with two or three other businesses and/or individuals in the Eugene area. This includes Springfield, Veneta, Cottage Grove, even Albany and Corvallis. Some of the stuff would be my Burn projects/gear but mostly it'd be my business, the creation of fantasy hobbyhorses.

I'm looking for about 500 square feet of shopspace and lockable storage, obviously with electricity and bathroom, parking and 24-hour access. I can afford about $250-$300 a month rent.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:19 pm

Posting again...

I'm starting up my business. (Un)fortunately, it involves a good deal of woodworking: rotozipping, routering, Sure-forming, sanding, et alia, which generates a lot of noise. My apartment manager hasn't received any complaints so far but I don't really want to wait until there is because if I get kicked out of here I'm pretty much screwed.

So...I'm looking to go in on a warehouse space with 1-3 people and/or businesses. I looked into renting a garage but came up goose-eggs: if they have one, it's full to overflowing. I checked the want ads for industrial space for lease and they're all $400 and up, which I can't swing on my own.

I can afford about $150/month for my share of the rent. I only require 200 square feet of workspace (about the size of one of the Costco canopies). I need to get into a workspace within a month because I'm starting to generate some business and I gotta get crackin' and produce some inventory, ASAFP!
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:40 am

Hello, all —

There's going to be a couple events in the next few days. Tomorrow evening (2/25, 8PM) the monthly gather is going down at the 5th Street Beanery next to Down To Earth.

Another event is this coming Monday, the 1st of March. A bunch of us are getting together to celebrate Apogy (the furthest point between two Burns) and also the opening of my booth in Gateway Mall's Crafter's Alley. The shop is located in the Gateway Mall on Gateway Blvd., Springfield. Drop by before 9PM, then we're heading across the parking lot for a celebratory dinner at the Original Roadhouse Grill.

Dan just got a copy of <b>Burn, Baby, Burn</b> and he's bringing it with him. We're talking about coming over here to Wolf Camp after dinner for a video viewing.

Come on out! Let's have some fun and start Re-compressing! :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby hylo » Sun May 09, 2004 1:56 am

Would love to hear from more burners in Eugene....

Get in touch ppl!

lurv
hylo
budgetcamp is not just for burningman... Its a way of life. Support your local starving artist.
hylo

Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: budgetcamp

Postby diane o'thirst » Sun May 09, 2004 10:59 pm

Hello, Hylo! What part of town are you in?

Some of us get together occasionally, usually at the 5th Street Beanery the last Thursday of the month, but decided to stop doing that and find another venue/interval to gather at.

So far nobody else has come up with any suggestions. I'm still holding the last Thursday at 8PM open, how about Chang's Mongolian on W. 7th across from Target?

So what-all is everyone working on for the desert?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby bushonk » Thu Jun 24, 2004 11:07 am

If thursdays aren't set in stone, my wife and I occasionally make it over the mountains to eugene for the occasional weekend since we left most of our friends over there...
bushonk

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:01 pm

Thursdays aren't set in stone, we first started organized meetings on the last Thursday because that's when MeetUp.com said so. But after awhile, we broke off from them and started doing it under our own recognizance. We just picked Thursday because that was the day we'd been going with all along.

Currently, nothing is happening in the Eugene scene. I guess everyone's hard at work on their projects ;) So it's up in the air as to time and place for hook-ups.

Anyone? Suggestions? How about Sunday 6pm at Cold Stone Creamery/Johnny Ocean's in the Oakway Center on Coburg Rd. and Oakway?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:34 pm

Hey, all —

I'm heading down to Johnny Ocean's/Coldstone Creamery in the Oakway Center at 6 tonight. Oakway and Coburg Road, it's in the quad near Bed, Bath & Beyond and Trader Joe's.

Anyone want to hook up? Look for a curly-haired lady in black skirt/Tlingit wolf t-shirt and lots of tattoos :)

Also, thought I'd pass along...there's a coupon for a free six-pack of Crystal Lake water when you buy Banana Boat sunscreen. It's in the Rite-Aid circular of the Sunday Register-Guard.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Naked Brunch

Postby nodule » Wed Jun 30, 2004 11:00 am

Hi,

I'm Nodule, in Corvallis. Last year I co-hosted The Naked Brunch on the Playa and we fed 190 naked people. This year, all my friends are flaking out. I'd like to repeat the brunch, but it needs a few volunteers to help set up, cook, and clean up. I'm shooting for Wednesday, noonish. Is anyone interested?

Nodule,
Camp Proto-node
nodule

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:07 pm

Hello everyone...

Here's your chance to walk your vote :)

Some of us are getting together at Chao Praya tonight — July 1 — on 6th Street. Default time was seven but I asked to move it back an hour since I've been working all day and I want to wear something fresh.

Come join us! Hot food on a hot day, where's the bad news? :D
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:18 pm

ALERT! This is your 30-day Notice!

You have 30 days (give or take, accounting for theme camp status, pack-up and load-the-vehicle time) to get everything ready and hit the road to Black Rock!

We can help, at least somewhat. Starting tomorrow, I'm hosting Burn Crafts Night here at Wolf Camp:Babylon every Thursday evening up 'til Playa departure, from 6PM until...who knows?

Come on over, bring your small-to-medium sized projects, and we can all share space, tips, camaraderie and recompression. There will be a sewing machine available and I can share some of my extensive array of crafting materials.

An artistic camp is a beautiful camp! Let's represent EugeneOregon well and all have beautiful camps and costumes and gifts! :)

PM me for coordinates and/or directions.
Thursday, 7/29, 8/5, 8/12. 8/19, 8/26, 6PM — ?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:31 am

Burning Crafts Night is coming back to Wolf Camp!

Come on over Thursday, August 6, and let's get crafty together. Sewing machine and kitchen available, bring small-to-medium projects (sorry, my living room isn't big enough to build your dome in), cat-in-residence advisory for those allergic. Bring munchies/drinkies or we can call out for pizza.

Where: PM me for address and directions.
When: August 6th, Thursday, 6PM onwards.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Aug 05, 2004 11:49 pm

I know, I suck, here's why and here's what...

My campmates suddenly decided that having solar lights in our camp would be a great idea so I, as the camp Lighting Czar, went out on a reconnaisance run to the surrounding area stores for price comparisons (shop smart, folks).

While I was gone someone came and left a note and a beer :) But that doesn't excuse the fact that I flaked out on my own event...

So tell you what. Since I printed a calendar typo — should have read Thursday August 5 — we'll try again tomorrow night. Burning Crafts Night at Wolf Camp, 6PM onwards, Friday August 6th! PM me for address! :)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:10 pm

Fourteen of ya said you'd come to an event in Eugene in the poll — <b>So howcum there isn't fourteen Eugenians and other Lane County in here?!?</b> :o

Burning Crafts Night is going at Wolf Camp right now! We'll probably go late if we're quiet about it, so don't worry if you're reading this kinda late (so long as it's before 1AM). Come on over, let's make stuff together!

PM me for the address!
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Arts 'n Crafts — Seeeeexxxxyyy

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:02 pm

It's true. Artists get their art on when they're doing it in a group. Anecdotal and proven alike.

Let's goose our Burn Muses :)

What: Burning Crafts Night at my place!

Where: My apartment, Wolf Camp. PM me for address/directions. I'm not ABOUT to splash where I live broadcast over the Web.

When: August 20, 7PM — late. Heck, it's coming down to the wire, if my Burn Muse gets goosed enough I might just do it every day this weekend.

What to bring: Your small projects that you're working on (I'm in the latter stages of packing, so it's getting a little tight in here). In the Burn tradition, I'll have crafty-type stuff to share and freecycle along. Munchies/drinkies to share if that tickles thine fancy.

Extras: Sewing machine available, bring your own fabric/thread/Singer bobbins/notions. Shy cat in residence aviso for the allergic.

See you tomorrow night! :)
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:06 pm

I need a favour.

Have determined that the shotgun seat in my car doesn't have to go to the Playa, and its space would be better used containing coolers and my Open Me First box.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to de-install it short of attacking it with a crowbar and/or Sawzall, I don't have an air compressor/impact wrench, and don't have the money to take it to a mechanic. Need groceries.

If you can help me out — have a compressor/impact wrench, know of a shop who'll do it for cheap or free, et alia — give me a shout. Please please please?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Eugenian looking for others and local decompressions

Postby redfoot » Wed Sep 08, 2004 11:27 am

Redfoot here---

Hope yhad a great burn as did I and ducky. We would like to get together with other Eugene burners. Talk and converse about the burn, future burns, and selves. Also in desperate need of local (or Portland) decompression(s).
<this space intentionally left blank>
redfoot

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:29 pm

This group is notoriously bad at organizing anything, but very, <i>very</i> occasionally...I think the position of the stars and planets may have a bearing on it...we do manage to hook up. Best thing I can suggest is suggesting a time and place that won't severely impact your wallet and schedule, go, and hope someone shows up.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

eugene burners

Postby wovenone » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:32 pm

are eugene burners still meeting the last thursdays of every month at the 5th street beanery? i live in eugene and want to meet you guys!
"Why should humanity act as if it is the only intelligence?" - Deva of the Golden Conifer
wovenone

eugene burners

Postby wovenone » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:34 pm

are eugene burners still meeting the last thursdays of every month at the 5th street beanery? i live in eugene and want to meet you guys!
"Why should humanity act as if it is the only intelligence?" - Deva of the Golden Conifer
wovenone

Next

Return to Regionals & Events