Larger-scale art project needs volunteers- no exp. req'd

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Larger-scale art project needs volunteers- no exp. req'd

Postby sugarcube » Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:41 am

Howdy! We're building a big-but-not-huge project on the playa this year, and we could use some help, both before the event (July/early August weekends, San Francisco Bay Area [Berkeley]), and on-playa.

Here's what we're up to:

The SugarCube is a cubed-shaped structure that is twenty feet cubed (20x20x20), standing on three-foot stilts. It will have a mezzanine in the middle with roof access. On Saturday night (Burn night), we will be having a member's only VIP party to watch the Man Burn. Oh yeah, this amazing project will be located centrally between the Man and Center Camp. This *will* be the place to watch the Man burn.

To give you some background on this project: What is it? It's a radical new way of building construction that is
inexpensive, environmentally friendly, and easy to put together. What we are doing is building a house on the playa. This is a sample house to illustrate that by using this new technique, one can pre-fabricate a building off site (this is what we're doing in July & August in Berkeley),
transport it to location, construct it in a couple of days, withstand the
brutal elements, and quickly disassemble to be used later. It will be one of
the larger art projects on the playa this year.

You don't have to be a master carpenter or have been building houses since you were nine years old...we can show you everything you'd need to know, which isn't much-- this is SIMPLE. You are not expected to spend your entire Burning Man experience tethered to the project. Once it's built, it's built, and that's it until we take it down on Sunday or Monday.
(2 days to build, 1 day to dis-assemble)

We'd LOVE you to join us pre-playa in July/August, so you can learn about what we're doing and how to help do it, but it's not necessary. You don't need any experience, but knowing how to operate a cordless drill would be handy (LOTS of screwing involved!).

And... free beer or cold-beverage-of-your-choice. We'll take care of you. We love our people who help us.

Contact me for questions, more info, or to sign your life away to us...err, I mean....to participate. Heh.
sugarcube

Postby Steven bradford » Sat Jun 17, 2006 1:19 am

I'll remember this promotional inspirational message the next time I need to build a 20x20x20 cube.
Steven bradford

Postby sugarcube » Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:29 am

Thanks for the positivity! Anyone else actually want to get involved?
sugarcube

Postby Tiara » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:46 pm

Can you post some links with more information on the structure you're building and/or the techniques you're using?
Tiara

Postby sugarcube » Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:49 pm

You can find our tribe where we're letting people know what's going on (and a gathering place of sorts, for people working on it, at:

http://tribes.tribe.net/sugarcubed

As far as the construction method- it's a new construction method using a patent-pending new construction "locking mechanism" to make the wood stronger.

If you have specific questions, feel free to contact me off-board.
sugarcube

Return to Get Involved!