Art project for exposed rebar

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

Art project for exposed rebar

Postby robin hood » Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:36 pm

3 years ago I almost lost my eyeball to some rebar that was on the side of the street as a way to let people know where the road was. I was told that it would not be there again. It was not the following year. However last year, there was the rebar on the sides of the streets.
Since I can not count on BTW to not have the rebar there, I have come up with an idea that if everyone was to bring a piece of art that could cover any scarey piece of rebar unattended, then the problem would be at least solved in hurting one too bad.
After 10 years of attending BM every year I find at least 5 area's where rebar is exposed. Imagine if everyone was to bring just one piece of art to cap over the exposed rebar they found...wow rebar would have a new meaning.
I am not sure how to get this proposal out there, if anyone has any ideas, please let me know.
Thanks from your friendly, caring Robin Hood
robin hood

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:48 pm

Idea.

What if someone slathered bright paint on a cheap tennis ball or 12? $3 for a stack of 4 at the local Walgreens, paint them up, poke a hole in the bottom. When you see an offensive hunka rebar, get out your slathered stack and stick a sphere on the stake. Cheap, safe, fun, and interactive.

Another idea - if you use rebar, candy cane the end. all it takes is a little muscle, a vise and a hunka pipe.

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby EspressoDude » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:59 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Idea.

all it takes is a little muscle, a vise and a hunka pipe.

bb

is that some kinda special PIPE?
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby ibdave » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:12 pm

EspressoDude wrote:
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:Idea.

all it takes is a little muscle, a vise and a hunka pipe.

bb

is that some kinda special PIPE?

Its also known as Bay Bridge Pipe
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Lassen Forge » Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm

Is also what is used for one of my *special* interrogations.

Pipe is 1" (25 mm) galvanized iron sch. 40. 6' (2m) long.

Vise is big old nasty sucker bolted to bench bolted to floor.

Muscle is to be disclosed later.

Victim is strapped firmly to chair, all limbs and head immobilized.

Victims pipe to be...

Oh. Sorry. Off topic. Oopsie.

bb
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby robin hood » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:15 pm

ok. too funny... Oh the so many ways one could come up with little soft furry impacts, instead of a black eye or broken teeth depending on your hieght.
No really... can we not just use those little neon flags that are foot in height. Do we really need to use long pieces of rebar with white paint around to let us all know where the road is? Maybe the problem is that they would fly away in a dust storm, ummmm what to do.
We still could use the art for a zillion other places if not for the road, n'est pas?
The most dangerous one's I have come across in 10 years are the one's on the road.
robin hood

Postby robin hood » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:18 pm

tennis balls would be a good option with paint, but you could also elaborate if you so dared and really come up with some fun stuff. A whole new meaning to rebar.
robin hood

Postby neccessity » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:25 am

Hmmm... is rebar magnetic? You could make little led blinkies that'd just pop right on the top and go flashidy-flash all week... I've got the plans for those babies somewhere. I'll look it up if it's feasible/interesting to anyone.
Teh mother of invention
neccessity

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:46 am

Paint some pingpong balls to look like eyeballs.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby capjbadger » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:27 am

neccessity wrote:Hmmm... is rebar magnetic? You could make little led blinkies that'd just pop right on the top and go flashidy-flash all week... I've got the plans for those babies somewhere. I'll look it up if it's feasible/interesting to anyone.

Yes, magnets will stick to rebar, but people would us take the blinkies. Now if you could attach them more forcefully.....

Personally I had very good luck with those little stick in the ground solar garden lights that auto turned on when it got dark. They would last all night and I stuck them around my area so that no car/mutant vehicles blundered into my dome and water still at night. I used the "candy cane" rebar and drove them in all the way, so someone hiting them was not an issue.
Arrrggg!! Avast ye fucking fluffy bunny shirtcockers! Haul your drunken hairy fat ass out of our sight or prepare to receive a hot buttered hedgehog fired up your aft quarters!

Honey Badger don't care. Honey Badger don't give a shit!
capjbadger

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Lamplighters

Postby robin hood » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:25 pm

I was also thinking that baby doll heads could work,as well as those ugly stuffed animals I hate so much. Blinkie lights...ummmm I wonder if some burners would take them? It sure would help with the street problem of rebar. Robin Hood
robin hood

Postby robin hood » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:09 pm

I am going to post something on Jack rabbit speaks soon.
robin hood

Postby efnord » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:35 am

Solar stake lights make great rebar cappers, too; just discard the cheap stake they come with.
efnord

Postby robin hood » Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:56 am

The rebar issue was dealt with this year by DPW. They had some orange fiber optic coverings on all the street rebar. It really seemed to help protect the rebar as well as make it easier for the streets to be seen. Thanks to all the people from DPW for making this year safer! Not to metion for those still out there cleaning up our cities mess.
robin hood

Postby unjonharley » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:36 pm

The guy across the street from me took care of the rebar thing. He bent his into a staple and drove them all the way in. Great idea. They don't jump around when struck,you dont trip over them,you don't need the 45° angle and can be pryed out of the ground with a bar.
unjonharley

Return to Get Involved!