Feature suggestions

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

Postby spectabillis » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:43 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:...archive all threads that have been inactive for at least 12 to 18 months.

You mean there will be some threads left behind?
spectabillis

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:50 pm

I got the impression that the only threads archived would be those in the 2005 event forum.

I don't want the bar and certain other threads archived. On the other hand, if no one's posted in a year and a half, I think it's time to declare the subject dead.

YMMV
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kinetic IV » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:04 am

Is there a mod available for phpBB that would slightly restrict the size of posted images? This thread is a perfect example of the problem:
viewtopic.php?t=10934&start=90

The initial image is huge and it skews the entire page after it.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby spectabillis » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:22 am

I just got some feedback from Emily of an option to auto prune certain things. That may be helpful under certain main topics, but she mentioned not something to apply to main topics like Q&A.

What you think?
spectabillis

Postby spectabillis » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:24 am

Kinetic IV wrote:Is there a mod available for phpBB that would slightly restrict the size of posted images? This thread is a perfect example of the problem:
viewtopic.php?t=10934&start=90

The initial image is huge and it skews the entire page after it.

And it makes loading slow. I will make a note of it, if you see it getting dropped please remind me.
spectabillis

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:09 am

It would be really nice if we could consolidate the useful Q&A threads... I'm okay with the auto pruning. How flexible are the parameters and would the topics still be accessable as history?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby spectabillis » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:20 pm

Not sure really, that was the initial feedback I got from Emily. I will see if she has the time to reply.
spectabillis

Postby emily sparkle » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:25 am

No, if you prune them, they're gone. There's no way to archive threads into a history folder. That all has to be done by hand.
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Postby spectabillis » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:46 am

Ok, I misunderstood 'pruning'.

Any deletion of topics is usually (and maybe rightfully) met with criticism. It would be nice to have some sort of ability to auto-archive topics into a storage section as opposed to having to manually move them.
spectabillis

Postby emily sparkle » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:51 am

maybe there's a mod for it. i think pruning would probably be ok as long as we set it for items without activity for a loooooooooong time, but then again people still want to look through the old bbs, so i have no idea what's ok and what's not.

even if we archive them to another folder, i don't think it would speed anything up... the system still has to process that those messages are in the database, etc.
emily sparkle

Postby spectabillis » Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:59 am

Speed: if the database is getting too big for the server to handle then I can see where making room by deleting is helpful.

If the size is not the problem, I think being safe by archiving things and not deleting them is the way to go. People still want the old bbs online for some things, including posts from Nipples and PJ.

I will update the meeting Q&A list with server stats as well as budgeted hardware needs if expansion is possible.
spectabillis

Postby emily sparkle » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:06 am

i've also been looking at the number of Guests online thing... i haven't seen it when there were 50 or 100 guests, but there were 17 guests on this morning when i took a look and 11 of them were from the same IP which resolved as a microsoft ip addy. curious, but probably that person has a bunch of eplaya windows open or something....
emily sparkle

Postby Kinetic IV » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:18 am

I run multiple browser windows and different browsers like IE, Firefox and some beta stuff and it only shows 1 hidden when I'm on.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Postby emily sparkle » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:31 am

yeah, because you're a registered user, it might behave a little differently. i'm not really sure.
emily sparkle

Postby spectabillis » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:47 pm

I have not seen those user numbers yet either. There is a slowdown in the morning, but it might be the net-wide cyclic choke of bandwith as people log on. Cant tell.
spectabillis

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:19 pm

emily sparkle wrote:No, if you prune them, they're gone. There's no way to archive threads into a history folder. That all has to be done by hand.
How about if you give us a few weeks warning before pruning a forum and then we can have a look through the old posts and bump anything that still looks valid.

It would be so nice to prune WSPR and Larry Harvey's Hat to oblivion...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby spectabillis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:01 am

I should have mentioned it since I knew it was comming.

Too late.
spectabillis

Postby emily sparkle » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:49 am

i haven't set anything to be pruned. all the 2005 threads are in the archive folder.
:) emily sparkle
eplaya administrator
___

mobilize, energize, motivate, INSPIRE ordinary people to do things to improve their quality of life.
- nobel peace prize winner, wangari maathai
emily sparkle

Postby spectabillis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 2:51 pm

emily sparkle wrote:i haven't set anything to be pruned. all the 2005 threads are in the archive folder.

As a child forced into the evil clutches of the tree people, I guess I picked up 'pruning' in place of 'moving'. (j/k)
spectabillis

Postby emily sparkle » Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:00 pm

with that pumpkin on yer head i can see why you're a little nervous about pruning!

:)
emily sparkle

Postby spectabillis » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:40 pm

yeah, they already got to my stem, bastard lied and said it would look like a mohawk.
spectabillis

Postby Kinetic IV » Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:25 pm

I'll have to look through the various phpBB plugins to see if this is possible but I'd like to have a Plonk option for entire threads. That way one could have the ability to block out a thread 95% of the time yet you could view it from time to time to see if anything changed.

If it was available now I know of 4 threads I'd use it on.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby stargeezer » Sat May 13, 2006 9:54 am

Just out of curiousity, why do you not allow images to be sent during a post. I have been looking at several pages and the only thing I have found is images that have a pointer to an alternate website. If you were to allow small images (you state the size restriction) to be included directly in the post, I think you would have a lot more visual posts. That is just my two cents worth, ignore if you like.
stargeezer

Postby Kinetic IV » Sat May 13, 2006 1:29 pm

(Unsolicited Comment): Having even small images would still require lots of server space and the eplaya board if I recall correctly is hosted on a server that also does many other things for the ORG. It's also adminstered by volunteers who are too busy as is to get fancy with the site...in short some of us are thankful to have what we have now.

One of the moderators or admins may weigh in on this but I betcha I'm not that far off on this one.

All that being said I can see where you're coming from and it would be kinda nice instead of using Photobucket for everything.
K-IV
~~~~
Kinetic IV

Postby stargeezer » Sat May 13, 2006 1:39 pm

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the site, and those working to provide it. Since there was a catagory for requests, I thought I would just add mine. If storage capacity is a problem, let me know what kind of drive interface would be desired, and I will see what I can do. If the issue is time and/or labor, as I stated before, just ignore this one.
stargeezer

Postby spectabillis » Sat May 13, 2006 4:24 pm

stargeezer wrote: If the issue is time and/or labor, as I stated before, just ignore this one.

time, labor, and access.
spectabillis

naughty posts

Postby Toolmaker » Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:34 pm

Is there a mod for this software to allow posts to be reported to a moderator?

I think it might be a good idea to consider using it so posts selling drugs, shoes, software etc could be reported. If you dont mind the SPAM no prob. I have seen a few posts here and there promoting criminal activity like software piracy.. at the least posts like that should be killed/nuked. I havent ran a BBS since 91 and that was WWIV software. I am not sure about current trends on what is good and not good to post.

Is there a mod to allow new users to have their posts from showing up on the board immediately?

Putting new users on moderated status would help deter those that wish to harm/annoy/harass etc. Granted serious jerks/jerkettes would only spend more time to become "trusted/unmoderated" users.. like 10 posts but the part time tards would probably just let their account go stagnant after finding out they cant SPAM or harass users.

PS Thanks for spending time trying to keep this going for everyone. I hope to meet some folks here to make my first burn a memorable one. 10 years of planning and I finally have all the gear I'll need to be self sufficient.

-Dave
Toolmaker

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:57 pm

Report commerce, ect in the "Case Studies" thread. Copy and paste the url.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby spectabillis » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:11 pm

yeah, what the fish said.
spectabillis

Postby geekster » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Since the 2007 theme has been announced, can we have a 2007 Theme folder someplace? Might facilitate some brainstorming/suggesting/sparkage of projects, etc.
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.
geekster

PreviousNext

Return to Feature Requests