My "Burning Man" Experience in San Bruno

All things outside of Burning Man.

My "Burning Man" Experience in San Bruno

Postby Angry Butterfly » Tue Sep 30, 2003 11:24 pm

Ok, I just had to share this,
I was going to an alumni picnic in San Bruno, and whenI got to the address for the park I was given i was looking around for my party and couldnt find it, then a homeless man named Chuck asked me if I was looking for the church party, and I said "No I'm looking for the RISD party" He seemed like he wanted to talk, so we visited for a minute and he gave me a bag of peaches from his cart! I thought it was very generous for a homelss man to be giving me food, even if he coldnt finish the peaches himself. I went looking for my party again, and saw a large group, one lady was friendly seeing I was lost and invited me to join them, I said I really needed to find my party, but she insisted i at least have a sno cone, so I did! I asked another group that seemed friendly and they laughed at me because of the obvious age difference, but were friendly and told me that I might have the wrong park and instructed me on how to get to the other park. As I was walking to the other Park I ran into Chuck again and he insisted on walking me there, after he met his party, we went to this little party of homeless people, and a woman asked me if I was hungry, at that point I was pretty hungry, and she gave me a hot dog and some potato salad, at that point I busted out the cookies I brought to share at my allumni party. I was just really impressed by the generosity of these folks who had so little and their insitance on sharing. I asked if there was anything I could do for them, and all they asked was that I tell people that they were good people. So I told them I would. At this point, Chuck was tired, and I wanted to get to my party, but he was worried about me walking there alone, so I agreed that I would drive there. So I left to go to my car and the Group that had given me directions to the other park initaillly asked me if I had found my party, I told them that I had run into chuck and got distracted by the homeless picnic, and started to visit with them, they were interested in my cookies because they looked like mushrooms, and were amused at how I was wandering around just visiting with people, I said "This is just like burning man" so we got to talking and then they insited I join them! So I did, and had some food and told them about Burning Man, they were all bikers and I was interested in that. I finaly left to find my party, and they all waved goodbye as if I was an old friend they hadnt seen in a long time! So I finaly drove to the other park, where my party was supposed to be, but there was a sign saying it had been moved to a location over an hour away! I needed to pick up my husband ( we share a car, i usualy use a bike) in just 2 hours and was an hour away from my husband's work already, so I decided to just head home, but I left feeling renewed. I was really amazed by the random generosity that I experienced in the "Real World" and wanted to share it with other burners.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Imagine...

Postby joel the ornery » Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:52 am

Imagine a world of kindness.

Now, get back to work.
joel the ornery

Location: i'm the snarky one in your worst fucking nightmares
Burning Since: 1998

Postby DE FACTO » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:24 am

definitly worth reading.

not trying to bump this to the top....but most here on the bbs need to be reminded about random acts of kindness.

that's always good.
DE FACTO

Postby joel the ornery » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:22 am

DE FACTO wrote:definitly worth reading.

not trying to bump this to the top....but most here on the bbs need to be reminded about random acts of kindness.

that's always good.

OK, they have been reminded... now get back to work.
joel the ornery

Postby DE FACTO » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:25 am

joel the ornery wrote:OK, they have been reminded... now get back to work.

Hey is'nt it passed your bedtime?
DE FACTO

Postby joel the ornery » Sun Oct 19, 2003 3:30 am

There is no rest for the wicked, and blessed don't require it.
joel the ornery

Postby jbelson » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:53 pm

I say you dump the Risd people as friends and adopt the bikers and homeless people.

Why? Friends worth having wouldn't move a party an hour away from it's original location.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Postby rodent » Mon Oct 20, 2003 4:06 pm

jbelson wrote:Why? Friends worth having wouldn't move a party an hour away from it's original location.

Unless it's a rave map point :)

Great story AB. There needs to be more instances like that.
---
rodent (putting the eek in geek)
rodent

Postby Angry Butterfly » Fri Nov 07, 2003 4:40 pm

hey, thanks for listening to my story!
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Return to Open Discussion