A new faction: The Shadebearers

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

A new faction: The Shadebearers

Postby Journeyman » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:56 am

I've always respected and appreciated the work of the Lamplighters, ceremoniously illuminating our ways at night in BRC. This burn found me experimenting with another service that I would consider to be of equal value. We all know that the sun can get pretty brutal while on daytime walkabouts and art tours on the playa. I spent a good deal of time out there with a large umbrella, spotting folks who seemed to be in need of a shady spot to cool down. I'd approach these people and offer my spot of shade for them, even walk with them protecting them from those rays until they were ready for more sun. My approach was careful and cheery, especially after I scared the shit out of a little boy with an exuberant approach. Almost everyone I offered my shade to was very appreciative. My gift, not a trinket, yet a lasting jewel in some memories. The act of sharing something as simple, yet necessary, as shade afforded me the chance to meet many interesting people and make friends on the playa. I think that if a lot of us got together as a camp and brought big umbrellas to carry shade to people in need on the playa, that it could become as much an institution as the Lamplighters. Be a Shadebearer. It's a very rewarding experience. 8)
Infinity = 1; since 1 / infinity = 1, zero is an absolute impossibility. The reason triangles are so unlike other polygons is that a triangle is part of a polygon bridging two dimensions.
Journeyman

Postby skygod » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:51 pm

For my third burn this year I have been looking for things to give my fellow burners: This shade thing is a very good idea!
Thnx!
"It will seem difficult in the beginning. But everything seems difficult in the beginning."- Musashi
skygod

Burning Since: 2004

Postby diane o'thirst » Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:19 pm

Oh, you wonderful awesome person! Image

Go for it. Absolutely, go for it.
Myself, I'm sticking with the nighttime/dusk ritual of the Lamplighters.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Postby Ranger Genius » Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:38 pm

Hey, JourneyMan, isn't this you?

If so, my Wife (Ranger Borderline) and I met you while we were on patrol one morning.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
Ranger Genius

Postby sake1 » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:56 pm

I think this is a awesome Idea!!!
sake1

Postby Journeyman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:13 am

HI THERE, Ranger Genius! The conversation I had with you and Ranger Borderline got me to really thinking about volunteering as a Ranger, but with the two major projects I want to take on this year (The Shadebearers, and a Chill Camp/Sound Installation, I doubt I'll be able to commit to the time required to Ranger.
Regarding your question, in comparing my thumbnail photo and the one you posted, I do believe that, indeed, that IS my image and likeness. At least, it's ONE of my images. My wife, Spinner, found another one at this site: http://www.geometer.org/bm2005/#
It was taken during my initial excercise in being a Shadebearer. My thanks and an acknowledgement to Tom Davis, Greg, et al, for an interesting account of their BM05 experience.
I'll be looking for you and Borderline on the playa!
Infinity = 1; since 1 / infinity = 1, zero is an absolute impossibility. The reason triangles are so unlike other polygons is that a triangle is part of a polygon bridging two dimensions.
Journeyman

Postby Journeyman » Mon May 01, 2006 12:19 pm

The Shadebearers will be based at the Temporate Zone, a theme camp incorporating a large internally lit white octagonal pyramidal pavilion with 8 A-frame entrances, one of which will be accessed through "Rainbow Realities," an interactive light sculpture that will serve as a hall of reflected light, color, and everything in sight. The Temporate Zone will be active 24 hours a day, with philosophical discussion, cool digital tunes alternating with blues, live performances, a bar, and lots of eye candy. It will be easily located by looking for a large fiberoptic spray at the top of the pavilion, about 24 feet high. Smaller fiberoptic displays will top each entrance, and there will be light globes at the anchor points. It will also be marked by the flashing light and color of "Rainbow Realities," so all in all, it will be hard to miss it. I'll post our location when I recieve placement of the theme camp. If you'd like to be a Shadebearer, drop by the pavilion with a large but light umbrella, purchaseable for around $20 wherever, and a good attitude toward meeting people and providing a valuable service to participants as they make their art walkabouts.
Journeyman

Return to Get Involved!