Theme Camp????

Theme Camp????

Postby gonephishing » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:35 pm

Okay, So a few friends and I are building a 32' Dia. 6 frequency dome for this years burn. This is a pretty large structure. There are not a lot of people participating with us on this project but all of our friends want to camp with us, and it is hard to get anyone to committ to anything. So, we really don't have a theme, but with such a large structure should we register ourselves as a theme camp? And if so, is there anyone out there that would be interested in joining our camp to help produce a theme?
gonephishing

Finding a Camp

Postby Desert Duck » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

The only reason you would need to register as a Theme Camp is if you were trying to get placed in a specific or high traffic location, or if you were wanting to be published in official publications. You can have a big ol' dome, and a theme, and activities, and whatever you want. Lots of people start out just having a really cool camp that evolves into something specific through several years on the playa. If you want, you could do the GGW camp thing. I'd LOVE to see someone take that idea and run with it. What you do is up to you, Burning Man is a do-ocracy. Whatever you decide, let people know, you'll get others to join you and help out. How about Evil Clown Village? If you do that, I'D join you!! :twisted:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby HughMungus » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:09 pm

What Duck said. We were a theme camp but didn't register as a camp because we didn't want to be committed to a placement (we fear excessive noise). However you can register your name/camp name/locations at Playa Info so that people can find you. We did that so the people who came after us would know where we'd ended-up camping.

If you want to find out who is committed to your project, have work days before the event (e.g., a day to test the setup, the dome, etc.) and see who shows up.
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Postby gonephishing » Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:47 am

I just want to be assured that we will have enough space to set up our camp. Will they let us in a day early to set up if we are not registered as a theme camp?
gonephishing

Postby Desert Duck » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:58 pm

Short answer, no. If you're planning on hanging out at the gate when it first opens, you won't have a problem getting enough space for everything. Make sure the first thing you do is stake and rope a little more space than you need, then when you're all set up you can unrope and let the city fill in around you.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby Desert Duck » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:42 pm

Hey, there's this girl who wants to set up an ice rink(fake ice real rink), and if you guys don't have any kind of thingy-thing going on, maybe you should get together. She needs something to put it in, you guys need a thingy-thing.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Refugee Kamp?

Postby p'ornge » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:22 pm

Yo yo, Phishy and Ducky, whatup? I'm a dejected former Sac-town Camper (sing this song, "Doo-dah, Dooh-day") whose camp has gradually evaporated into an army of... me. Since everyone else is from Sacramentoes and I'm in Tahoe it's been difficult anyway.

I had considered just registering and setting up my own camp, get the word out, and see what other lost and ambitious souls would be interested in joining... Refugee Kamp.

Since I stumbled upon your question and message thread I'm intrigued. Have you considered a meeting, working party... just plain party. If you could use an extra body with a functional pair of arms and legs, I'd be interested in chatting. If you're not looking for a camp-mate it might be cook to just chat over a beer or two. I'm disease free and available (when I'm not snowed-in or otherwise occupied whompin' my toad belly).

- p'ornge
Life is not whollly skittles and beer.
p'ornge

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:47 am

If you build it they will come.

Most co-campers are just waiting for someone else to furnish a creative spark. The trouble with most "theme camps" is that everyone is still waiting. Step up to the plate. Visualize your dream and make it happen. If its halfway cool, people will sign on.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby falk » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:00 pm

Just one comment: Frequency six?! You're talking over 550 struts, you know.
falk

Postby Killbuck » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:46 pm

http://sideshow2014.weebly.com Bringing Sideshow back to the playa, and part of the Embrace Crew, 2014.
Killbuck

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Sideshow

Postby gonephishing » Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:35 pm

[quote]Just one comment: Frequency six?! You're talking over 550 struts, you know.[/quote]

Yup, all 550 plus extras have been cut and smashed. Just need to drill and bend. It should be a pretty amazing site once completed.
gonephishing

Return to 2006 Theme Camps