$5 in playa costume, $10 in street clothes

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby Ivy » Wed Oct 15, 2003 10:08 pm

LABM'S

I read this as "LAMB'S" and thought I;d have to get permission from PJ.

On a more serious note,
Go to the beach and take your clothes off and do it

How much bail money you got?
Ivy

Postby III » Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:34 pm

>announced our little Golden Cafe Decom

ayup.

not sure if the venice drinking thing will get announced on twan's list, but it'll happen, i'm sure.

and a couple of us villains have realized that, for readily apparent but unintentional reasons, that we appear cliquish, and are considering ways of establishing events that do not fall under that label, in order to allow us to develop more of those personal conections with the rest of the groups out there...
III

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:02 pm

I am hoping that this weekend will allow those of us having this conversation to break the ice in person and let the chips fall where they may. My hope is that small informal gatherings will follow, venice or not, but certainly not w/o the drinks.

One of my gifts at decom will be the gift of no hangover. Yes, I have the technology.
stuart

Postby Alpha » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:04 pm

so did you guys settle on alternative to the spoon return center?
Alpha

Postby stuart » Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:12 pm

and did we settle on a time?
stuart

Postby girlie » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:19 pm

>> alternative to the spoon return center?

Worse case scenario... if we pick a vague spot (for instance -- on the
sidewalk across the street from the Blue Bongo) i could bring my big
red/wh checked picnic blanket for us to gather on/around, and then we
could move onto another spot once we're all gathered. I'll be coming
straight from the desert though so theoretically me and the blanket
could be running late.

>> and did we settle on a time?

Most folks seemed to like "after 4pm". How about we meet at 5:02pm.
girlie

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:41 pm

PST or GMT?

Ready...synchonize watches!
Ivy

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:41 pm

(oh shit, I just remembered I don't even own a watch!)
Ivy

I guess I'll announce it since no else did...

Postby Ivy » Thu Oct 16, 2003 6:20 pm

http://www.la-burningman.com/forum/phpBB2/index.php

Perhaps we should migrate our Angelic conversations?
Ivy

Postby stuart » Fri Oct 17, 2003 12:31 pm

in order to avoid confusion, I will look pretty much like my avatar there, right down to the goggles (I want to get in for $5 don't I?). I will be wearing a shirt that says

my smelly hippie friends went
to burning man and all I got
was this lousy t-shirt

if no src I will mill around aimlessly across from the blue bongo at 4 ish.
stuart

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:00 pm

OKay.

5:02pm at the Spoon Return Center.
If no SRC, across from the entrance to the Blue Bongo.

There is a 91.2% chance that I will be dressed the same as in my avatar, so look for the ass with cow spots. Also, the tattoo usually busts my cover.

See y'all there!
Ivy

Postby aforceforgood » Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:18 pm

Oh, that's a tattoo.

Heh heh.
aforceforgood

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:08 pm

FYI, I have it on good authority that Blue Bongo is not labeled as such. The signs say "Little Pedro's Cantina."

Here's the full info, as it was relayed to me:

Here's a few notes on the Los Angeles Decompression Party this Sunday (10/19) - Noon to 11:00 PM:

Location - 1st Street & Vignes in downtown L.A. (between Alameda St. and the L.A. River).
If you look at a map (Mapquest is good) this will be easier to follow...

The two-block party area starts at 1st and Vignes and runs east on Vignes to Santa Fe and north on Santa Fe to Banning.
The slightly tricky part is:
There are TWO 1st Streets - the bigger one climbs a bridge to cross the River - the smaller one (alongside to the north) runs at normal street level and that's where the party is.

At the corner of 1st Street & Vignes is the (in)famous Blue Bongo. Blue Bongo is owned by Burners, and will play a big part in the event.

The slightly tricky part is:
Yes, Virginia, there is NO Blue Bongo (at least no signs saying "Blue Bongo"). The signs say "Little Pedro's Cantina." (duh!) ?

Parking - There should be adequate free parking on streets in the immediate area (and probably enough traffic from the party so that your car will be safe - but use appropriate discretion on where to park and what to leave visible inside the car). There are a couple of pay-parking lots that MAY be open, but may not. Remember, one block of 1st and one block of Santa Fe are closed. Getting there early will make parking a lot easier (duh!). You might try taking 2nd Street to Santa Fe and heading north on Santa Fe... lots of people will probably park there. I'll probably park on Banning if there's room left.

Food and Drink - Both will be available from Blue Bongo, but bring your own for convenience, or plan to leave for dinner and return (you WILL need a hand stamp to get back in if you leave). No food can be handed out freely on the street (Health Dept) so there won't be any of that. NO alcohol or open containers on the street (LAPD) so be careful of that.

Schedules - Mutaytor Show is 8 PM - 9 PM. All times are subject to change, and there are 3 stages, so check for performance times when you get there. The music goes off at 11 PM (official closing time). We have to have the whole place cleaned up (completely) by 2 AM. If you can possibly stay late to help with teardown and cleanup, that would be great. Blue Bongo will stay open until 2 AM.

Check out the official party website: http://www.la-burningman.com
Alpha

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:52 pm

Alpha,

Good point about the LIttle Pedro's/Blue Bongo thing. I believe technically the name of the establishment is "The Blue Bongo Formerly KNown As Little Pedro's Cantina." I gues they have yet to come up with a symbol for that.

The signs have yet to be changed. Do not be confused. Little Pedros and the Blue Bongo are indeed one and the same.

Beware the buffalo shrimp.
Ivy

so?

Postby PetsUntilEaten » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:29 pm

so? what'd you think?
PetsUntilEaten

Postby III » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:36 pm

who all went? p & i called it off at the last minute. i'm bummed that i missed a good opportunity to meet new folks, but i'm afraid i wouldn't have had the opportunity to really interact with them the way that i wanted to.

who's up for drinks in venice tonight?
III

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 2:37 pm

I had a really great time at the LA street faire and I was pleasantly surprised at how well everything went.
Ivy

Postby jbelson » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:22 pm

I gotta say it was better than I expected. Just danced a bunch, met some cool people, partied with some former strangers, learned about some new composite stilts, and made 2 people get into a "splits" contest in a fuzzy pink airstream.

Mutaytor, you can hate their networking, but you gotta love the show!!!
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

$5 in costume, $25 in street clothes, I say.

Postby Jesus » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:08 pm

Are you guys just being trolls? :evil:

If you're paying the higher fee, consider it as helping to offset the costs of the costumes of the folks whose costumes help make the event special - or simply encouraging them with a financial incentive.

My thanks go out to the folks whose job it is to collect the bread hand have to put up with folks with no costume trying to pay the low price.

It seems that thieves are generally not in costume too, from the anecdotes I've heard.
Jesus

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco//SF, CA

Postby stuart » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:14 pm

I had a great time. My only dissapointments were that I did not do as much meet'n'greet as I would have liked and that it kinda turned into a rock concert for awhile. Still, I had a blast chatting, drinking, drumming and fantasizing with others.
stuart

Postby Jesus » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:24 pm

alice wrote:my vote is for the baby jesus butt plug.

Help! It's dark and smelly in here!
Jesus

Postby Chai Guy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:43 pm

If you're paying the higher fee, consider it as helping to offset the costs of the costumes of the folks whose costumes help make the event special - or simply encouraging them with a financial incentive.

That's funny, I wore a costume but didn't receive my "stipend". Where can I apply for one, or is it too late?

It seems that thieves are generally not in costume too, from the anecdotes I've heard.

I dunno, when I see the surveillance tapes on most bank robberies, they are usually at least wearing a mask.
Chai Guy

Postby Ivy » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:48 pm

Are you guys just being trolls?

My thanks go out to the folks whose job it is to collect the bread hand have to put up with folks with no costume trying to pay the low price.

we are quite likely the furthest thing from trolls.

I'm in the camp that's okay with there being two prcices most of the time, but I totally have to disagree with you here: the extra money does not in anyway, shape or form, offset the cost of the the costumes. I have come costumed to every single event and I don't see any kick backs my way to offset the costs of my outfit (not that i expect any...and I'd likely come in costume regardless of price).
If you saying "offset" in terms of "making the day more enjoyable by having costumes to look at," I still think you're barking up the wrong tree. You wanna look at something enjoyable? Then make something to look at.

I've never heard people give a huge hassle at the door about paying a higher price, especially if the info regarding price structure is circulated well in advance, and those that do give shit also are usually very creative and smart ass (at the last part I went to before Decomp, a guy got in for the costumed fee by insinuating that he had a glow stick up his ass.)

I don't know what you're referring to by alluding to thievery--we're talking about events outside of BM here--last i checked, there wasn't a price scale at BM for costumed/street wear.
Ivy

Postby blyslv » Tue Oct 21, 2003 3:48 pm

Instead of paying $10 you pay $5. that five dollars can be applied to your next costume, or you next libation. It's all good.
Fight for the fifth freedom!
blyslv

Postby stuart » Wed Oct 22, 2003 11:52 am

was a guy in line to pay in front of me. Was middle aged, wearing an oxford button down white dress shirt, some form of khakie/docker/slacky pants, loafers. He was arguing about the price. He was not being facetious. Now, I am not dressed to the nines, but I do make my own shirts. Sundays shirt made the gate people laugh. Still, I handed them $10 cuz I can.
stuart

Postby Alpha » Wed Oct 22, 2003 12:02 pm

stuart wrote:Still, I handed them $10 cuz I can.

kindred spirit!

(thanks to whomever -- reba?? -- suggested this originally)
Alpha

Postby Jesus » Wed Oct 22, 2003 3:53 pm

blyslv wrote:Instead of paying $10 you pay $5. that five dollars can be applied to your next costume, or you next libation. It's all good.

Exactly.

Back when I had $, I paid for the highest price BM ticket available.
Jesus

Postby jbelson » Wed Oct 22, 2003 4:24 pm

I paid $15 for a tuxedo shirt that I cut the sleeves off of. $3 to make a stencil of the man standing on a platform that was on fire. $10 for the paint. $8 for elvis glasses (that were too damn red in the lenses). All so I could get in for $5.
"I gotta have more cowbell"
Bruce dickenson, legendary rock producer
jbelson

Previous

Return to Open Discussion