Breakfast theme camp

Breakfast theme camp

Postby cynthi » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:36 pm

pancakes on the playa. I am interested in joining a theme camp that would want to incorporate a little community breakfast a couple mornings during the week. anyone interested or have any ideas???
cynthi

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:37 pm

make sure that you do a search on health department.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Dustbuddy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:41 pm

Are the standards really that harsh, though? A lot of what they demanded sounded like basic common sense, the last time I skimmed.

Maybe I missed something?
Dustbuddy

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:46 pm

I'm just saying that if she does this too openly, the Health Department will want a liscence. I haven't looked at teh regs, and my basic take on it is--comply as best you can anyway, they probably are just "common sence"--we don't need an outbreak of food poisoning on the playa. Just that the health department has been known to shut down unliscensed food service and other things they find dodgey.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Dustbuddy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:49 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm just saying that if she does this too openly, the Health Department will want a liscence. I haven't looked at teh regs, and my basic take on it is--comply as best you can anyway, they probably are just "common sence"--we don't need an outbreak of food poisoning on the playa.

Amen to that.

Just that the health department has been known to shut down unliscensed food service and other things they find dodgey.

Yeah, I've heard that, too.
Dustbuddy

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:51 pm

I remember that there was an IHOP near center camp in 2004? 2003? I think they specialized in banana.

I never ate at any food camps because of the whole dosing thing. I wish I had, but ...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Re: Breakfast theme camp

Postby Dustbuddy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:56 pm

cynthi wrote:pancakes on the playa. I am interested in joining a theme camp that would want to incorporate a little community breakfast a couple mornings during the week. anyone interested or have any ideas???

Hi, Cynthi. Sorry, we didn't mean to roll over you on your own thread, like that. What would you be putting on the menu.
Dustbuddy

Postby Desert Duck » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:23 pm

PANCAKE PLAYHOUSE!!! They've been our neighbors on center circle for a couple years, now. They do banana, blueberry, plain, I think walnut or something. What they have depends on when you get there. If you just wanna help them out, I'm sure they wouldn't mind. And if they don't have room for you to camp there, you could camp with US!! I'm sure we could work out some kind of deal, last year we still had a little room in our camping with about 20 of us in our spot.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

nothing crazy

Postby cynthi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:01 pm

I was thinking about something simple in the beginning of the weed while the fruits and other ingrediants are still fresh. I also wanted to bring a couple of round tables with bar stools to create a fifties style diner effect. It was just an idea.... I am coming with two other girls who are both virgins and this would be only my second year, so I would like to join a larger camp and work together.
cynthi

spelling correction

Postby cynthi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:43 pm

Beginning of the[u] week[/u]that is.
cynthi

Postby Desert Duck » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:51 pm

:D I've got a couple things for ya. First is, if you don't find a larger camp before the event, whoever your neighbors are will LOVE you. Next, bring a net bag like a laundry bag for your banana peels, etc. If you hang this up, your compost will dry out, greatly reducing the nasty :x factor of your overall garbage packout situation. And get some bananas that are REALLY green(not too many) for use a little later in the week. 8)
My own camp is a work camp, we have two people assigned to cook breakfast and dinner every day for 10 days.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Location: Oregon foothills near Silver Falls...wait, no...San Francisco...umm North bay?...The Playa!!!!

Postby Desert Duck » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:51 pm

:D I've got a couple things for ya. First is, if you don't find a larger camp before the event, whoever your neighbors are will LOVE you. Next, bring a net bag like a laundry bag for your banana peels, etc. If you hang this up, your compost will dry out, greatly reducing the nasty :x factor of your overall garbage packout situation. And get some bananas that are REALLY green(not too many) for use a little later in the week. 8)
My own camp is a work camp, we have two people assigned to cook breakfast and dinner every day for 10 days. :P
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby Desert Duck » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:53 pm

WHHOOOPPPPSSSS!!!! guess I hit that button once too many. :roll:
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Postby cynthi » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:13 pm

My main reason for wanting to join a larger camp is 1) I don't have a large canopy tent, I don't mind purchasing equipment, but canopy tents are extremely expensive. Does anyone know a good place to rent one???? 2) it would be nice to collaborate, rather than planning the entire week for myself and two maybe three new people, (building a camp, shower, etc...), and 3) to meet more people. I am also not locked into the breakfast idea, I was also thinking about body painting.
cynthi

Flying Pancakes

Postby Token » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:51 pm

Instead of building infrastructure for the Pancakes, why not make them mobile. A small yard cart or a radio flyer wagon with the griddle, a cooler and some supplies, a decorated parasol and presto, bring the pancakes to the unsuspecting masses.

You could even attach it to a bike if so inclined.

Great way to meet people.
Token

Burning Since: 2001

Postby HughMungus » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:12 pm

Where are you? I can't imagine that if you're wanting to cook for people that you'd have a hard time finding a local group to latch onto...?
It's what you make it.
HughMungus

Giving more than you take

Postby Marks71 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:47 pm

Cynthi,

Great ideas for giving to the Burningman community.
Costco sells a solid 10’ x 20’ canopy tent with removable sides for about $170.00. If you can get another 3 campers to join you you’ll have a place to serve your breakfast as well as shade and cover from the wind. Neighbors on the Playa can smell food from 100 yards away. Wherever you camp just let the word out and you will be flooded with all the bodies you could handle. Don’t advertise it or they might send the health department by who will eat first and then shut you down. One 5 gal. Propane tank will handle a large griddle for the week for heat. You can freeze some fruits and seal them in Baggies drop them with ice in an ice chest, add dry ice on top and then seal the lid on the ice chest with duct tape. As long as you don’t open it, it will still be frozen 5 days later and that makes for a great treat near the end of the week when you are so hungry for good food that you would suck the image of the pancakes off the box. Body painting- they make a small battery operated airbrush system that works great. Showers- Two years ago I built the best shower on the playa. It had hot and cold running water. I set up an RV water pump with a small on demand heater using propane. Anyone in our area who wanted a shower brought there own water and put it in the tank and the pumped heated it and pumped it out a regular shower head. When done we refilled their water container with the gray water they just used, using a separate pump and they took it with them and carried if off the Playa leaving 0 trace.
Let me know if you want a basic system for your use.

Marcus
Marks71

Postby Desert Duck » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:11 pm

NICE!!!
I'm sure by the time it's time to go you'll be hooked up with some fine folks to camp with.
Remember those net laundry bags, you can use 'em for compost AND recycling, and you might be able to find 'em for cheap at BigLots or something. Just think of me when you're out on the playa packin' up, and instead of a couple bags of nastiness, you've got dry compost which in some cases can be burned, and dry recycling that's easy to pack up without contaminating everything around it. Oh, yah. Bring your aluminum cans to Recycle Camp to drop off all week till Sunday. We're right behind the Cafe' in center Camp. Oh, and I LOVE pancakes.
I like pudding.

I like tea.

I like chocolate.

Do you like me?
Desert Duck

Return to 2006 Theme