Why are you an atheist?

All things outside of Burning Man.

Postby Ranger Genius » Tue Feb 28, 2006 8:53 pm

No, as a matter of fact, I don't. Do you think that the most ethical societies in human history have been ones that believed in a hell?

Why is it that representation of atheists in prison populations is disproportionate by an order of magnitude? It's because their moral code is based upon ethics, not fear of punishment from some distant, invisible, omnipotent sociopath.

Belief in god is a yoke upon the mind of man.

But you never answered my question about whether or not lies that have destructive effects on those who believe them (or, as in this case, encourage destructive behavior) should be allowed to pass without challenge because we see them as irrelevant or unproveable.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
User avatar
Ranger Genius
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:07 am
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain

Postby HughMungus » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:31 pm

Ranger Genius wrote:No, as a matter of fact, I don't. Do you think that the most ethical societies in human history have been ones that believed in a hell?

Why is it that representation of atheists in prison populations is disproportionate by an order of magnitude? It's because their moral code is based upon ethics, not fear of punishment from some distant, invisible, omnipotent sociopath.

Belief in god is a yoke upon the mind of man.

But you never answered my question about whether or not lies that have destructive effects on those who believe them (or, as in this case, encourage destructive behavior) should be allowed to pass without challenge because we see them as irrelevant or unproveable.


Of course they should be challenged. But not every Christian, Muslim, Jew or whatever is spreading or supporting dangerous lies. I don't understand how you think all belief is destructive.
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby Rob the Wop » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:05 pm

Hugh, I'm not an agnostic. Regardless of how much you would like to think it. My BELIEF SYSTEM (please look up belief, please, pretty please) is such that god doesn't exist. Agnosticism is kind of pointless really, not being a priest- a belief in god doesn't affect me much at all. But I'm not going to stand on a soapbox and scream that I refuse to think about whether there is a god or not. I thought about it, came to a conclusion that fits me, and was done with it. You've already come to some conclusion- but then wrapped a blindfold around your eyes and are now trying to act like it didn't happen.

I don't believe just that the universe is eternal, I believe it is all encompassing. Everything in it exists for its own merit and purpose- not some other being's. It was not CREATED it simply EXISTS.

Believing in the existance of the universe does not require leaps of faith. Belief in a god that created the universe does. I can prove individually that things exist in the universe. The question of god is as pointless as a belief in anything else imaginary.

RG summed up very nicely why the 'proofs' of god can be disproven easily, and why the same techniques will not work for an 'unproof of god' (or anything for that matter). I suggest you buy a book on logical philosophy as you are woefully lacking in this field. Even worse, you refuse to even admit to be lacking or seek to determine how logic works. You 'know' things and everyone else is wrong.

There really isn't any more point in trying to point out the obvious. You just won't get it. Have fun having the last word, I'm done here. I should have quit 2 or 3 postings ago.
The other, other white meat.
User avatar
Rob the Wop
 
Posts: 1814
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2003 4:06 pm
Location: Furbackistan, OR

the controlling neurotic

Postby Rockdad » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:30 am

The psychotic at least provides the community a few laughs and occasionally a little excitement to spruce up the daily grind, while the controlling neurotic is the daily grind.......
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog
User avatar
Rockdad
 
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Central Valley, Ca

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Rob the Wop wrote:Hugh, I'm not an agnostic. Regardless of how much you would like to think it. My BELIEF SYSTEM (please look up belief, please, pretty please) is such that god doesn't exist. Agnosticism is kind of pointless really, not being a priest- a belief in god doesn't affect me much at all. But I'm not going to stand on a soapbox and scream that I refuse to think about whether there is a god or not. I thought about it, came to a conclusion that fits me, and was done with it. You've already come to some conclusion- but then wrapped a blindfold around your eyes and are now trying to act like it didn't happen.

I don't believe just that the universe is eternal, I believe it is all encompassing. Everything in it exists for its own merit and purpose- not some other being's. It was not CREATED it simply EXISTS.

Believing in the existance of the universe does not require leaps of faith. Belief in a god that created the universe does. I can prove individually that things exist in the universe. The question of god is as pointless as a belief in anything else imaginary.

RG summed up very nicely why the 'proofs' of god can be disproven easily, and why the same techniques will not work for an 'unproof of god' (or anything for that matter). I suggest you buy a book on logical philosophy as you are woefully lacking in this field. Even worse, you refuse to even admit to be lacking or seek to determine how logic works. You 'know' things and everyone else is wrong.

There really isn't any more point in trying to point out the obvious. You just won't get it. Have fun having the last word, I'm done here. I should have quit 2 or 3 postings ago.


So you're saying that it's impossible for someone to have no opinion? You're saying that I couldn't have considered the question and then decided that it's not relevant to me?
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby bringer » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:58 am

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

---Stephen Roberts---
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!
User avatar
bringer
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: kansas city

An athiest I was born; an athiest I will die!

Postby M-Files » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:32 am

HughMungus wrote:Why would someone try to convince themselves or others that there is no god. What's the point of that?


For heaven's sakes, HM - get the hell out of Biblebeltistan!

The reason that most of us don't feel compelled to believe in any "god" is because we haven't spent our lives sequestered in an oppresive state where if you don't believe in "god", you'd better start praying.

The very fact that your mind yearns to learn why the rest of us are free from such submission is evidence enough that you need to expose yourself to other realities.

In the words of the old monk in the classic TV series 'Kung Fu':
"Time for you to leave."

Good luck and athiest hugs,
m-files
:)
M-Files
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:36 am

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:43 am

Why am I NOT an atheist?
I have watched the sun set over the desert. The fire roared large, out of my control. Suddenly I felt small, and none of my sophistry could fix it.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16307
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Postby tisha2 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:25 pm

*i* am an 'atheist' because i choose not to call what i believe in 'god'.

because historically the church (and 'god') have existed to control people.

because the mean scary 'god' i was introduced to as a child does absolutely no good for me, my life, or my psyche.

because i have since discovered inumerable others things that give me hope, bliss, energy, understanding, contentment, and insight as to why we are here.

to list a few:

sunsets
large gatherings where everyone is focused on the same beautiful experience
sex
wet trees
my children
friends (and strangers) who give up a chunk of their life to help mine in some way
the feeling i get when i do the same
giving birth
moments where i have no doubts whatsoever about the choices i have made
the answers that come when i ask the universe and my own wise spirit for guidance

no fear, no guilt, no judegement. still absolute respect and responsibility for my actions, energies, and experience.
ERP ~ Emergency Resource Procurement
"if i can't find it, yer f***ed"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/ERP-Emergency-Resource-Procurement/257100377734118

how we roll:
https://www.facebook.com/TheThugboat
User avatar
tisha2
 
Posts: 2570
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2004 4:44 pm
Location: Blue Lake, CA

Re: An athiest I was born; an athiest I will die!

Postby HughMungus » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:10 pm

M-Files wrote:
HughMungus wrote:Why would someone try to convince themselves or others that there is no god. What's the point of that?


For heaven's sakes, HM - get the hell out of Biblebeltistan!

The reason that most of us don't feel compelled to believe in any "god" is because we haven't spent our lives sequestered in an oppresive state where if you don't believe in "god", you'd better start praying.

The very fact that your mind yearns to learn why the rest of us are free from such submission is evidence enough that you need to expose yourself to other realities.

In the words of the old monk in the classic TV series 'Kung Fu':
"Time for you to leave."

Good luck and athiest hugs,
m-files
:)


Why do people think I'm saying that you SHOULD believe in god? Where are people getting that? All I was looking for was reasons why someone would be an atheist instead of being agnostic because belief and non-belief both seem to rely on the same thing -- a belief in something that can't be proven either way (and no, "proving" something via logic and wordplay doesn't count).
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:47 pm

I have no trouble in believing.

I have trouble in naming, in explaining, in comprehending.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
User avatar
Ugly Dougly
 
Posts: 16307
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:31 am
Location: San Jose, CA
Burning Since: 1996

Re: An atheist I was born; an atheist I will die!

Postby M-Files » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:32 am

HughMungus wrote:All I was looking for was reasons why someone would be an atheist instead of being agnostic because belief and non-belief both seem to rely on the same thing -- a belief in something that can't be proven either way


Do you go to Christians, Muslims and Jews and ask them why they're not agnostic instead of Christian, Muslim or Jewish?

Still, you bring up a good point. Scientific principles dictate that a negative cannot be proven. Example: Everybody knows that birds fly south in the winter. But it can never be proven that birds do not fly north in the winter. Perhaps that breed has not been discovered yet, or whatever.

Therefore, atheitism is the only belief system which must accept its own inherit scientific fault. Example: Theoretically, it may someday be possible for Christians, Muslims, Jews, whomever, to prove that there is a god.

However, it will never be scientifically possible for atheists to prove that there is no god.

For this reason, atheitsim is the most humble and most respectful belief system that has ever existed. I'm proud to call myself one.

Atheist hugs,
m-files
:)
M-Files
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:36 am

Re: An atheist I was born; an atheist I will die!

Postby HughMungus » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:06 pm

M-Files wrote:
HughMungus wrote:All I was looking for was reasons why someone would be an atheist instead of being agnostic because belief and non-belief both seem to rely on the same thing -- a belief in something that can't be proven either way


Do you go to Christians, Muslims and Jews and ask them why they're not agnostic instead of Christian, Muslim or Jewish?

Still, you bring up a good point. Scientific principles dictate that a negative cannot be proven. Example: Everybody knows that birds fly south in the winter. But it can never be proven that birds do not fly north in the winter. Perhaps that breed has not been discovered yet, or whatever.

Therefore, atheitism is the only belief system which must accept its own inherit scientific fault. Example: Theoretically, it may someday be possible for Christians, Muslims, Jews, whomever, to prove that there is a god.

However, it will never be scientifically possible for atheists to prove that there is no god.

For this reason, atheitsim is the most humble and most respectful belief system that has ever existed. I'm proud to call myself one.

Atheist hugs,
m-files
:)


Because?

I'd think agnosticism was the most humble because you're not making a declaration of what you believe to be true at all (whereas theists and atheists are).
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: An atheist I was born; an atheist I will die!

Postby M-Files » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:08 pm

HughMungus wrote:I'd think agnosticism was the most humble because you're not making a declaration of what you believe to be true at all (whereas theists and atheists are).


Which is more humble:

To admit that what you believe may in fact not be true?

Or to simply say that you have no convictions, and therefore cannot be wrong either way?

Atheist hugs,
m-files
:)
M-Files
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:36 am

Postby nogganoodle » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:10 pm

Because none of it seems worth the pain that we all suffer
You don't need a license to drive a sandwich
User avatar
nogganoodle
 
Posts: 692
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:08 am
Location: The Booby Bar, UK Envoy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Booby Bar, UK Envoy

Postby Ranger Genius » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:33 pm

I've always seen agnosticism as sort of a coward's way out; a cop out. Being afraid to take a position. Mostly I think they're closet theists who are mad at their god (or gods), or closet atheists who are too afraid to admit it to themselves (and others). If you don't believe in god, you don't believe in god. It's just spineless pandering to say "I don't believe in god, but I don't disbelieve him, either!" And contradictory, to boot.
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
User avatar
Ranger Genius
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:07 am
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:38 pm

because I cannot afford the dues.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37396
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Well I believe in God

Postby Rockdad » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:51 pm

Well I believe in God and I think she/he is really pissed off right now! At me and everyone else who did not get out the vote and let Bush back in the White House..

Oh on that note did you hear about the flood?

The Bush presidential library was flooded when the toilet overflowed both books were destroyed!

President Bush was really upset he had almost finished coloring the first one! And really enjoyed the pop-ups in the other one.

The magazine section was saved because Cheney had checked out the Playboy.

The Bible was saved because Ashcroft was editing it!

FEMA was called they are denying the flood could happen but will respond in a couple weeks......

You may resume bickering with the neurotic that is always right now! Sorry for the interruption
8)
User avatar
Rockdad
 
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Central Valley, Ca

Penn Jillette

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:42 pm

see...
There Is No God
by Penn Jillette

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=5015557
User avatar
robbidobbs
 
Posts: 2108
Joined: Fri Sep 05, 2003 1:07 pm
Location: Pottie Central
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

Thanks

Postby Rockdad » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:55 am

solipsistic?
Main Entry: so·lip·sism
Pronunciation: 'sO-l&p-"si-z&m, 'sä-
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin solus alone + ipse self
Date: 1874
: a theory holding that the self can know nothing but its own modifications and that the self is the only existent thing
- so·lip·sist /'sO-l&p-sist, 'sä-l&p-, s&-'lip-/ noun
- so·lip·sis·tic /"sO-l&p-'sis-tik, "sä-/ adjective
- so·lip·sis·ti·cal·ly /-ti-k(&-)lE/ adverb

See there is a God RobbiDobbs taught me a new word...
Eplaya Bar Camp 2006 "What will it be"

The Eplaya Bar Camp Blog
User avatar
Rockdad
 
Posts: 3022
Joined: Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Central Valley, Ca

Re: An atheist I was born; an atheist I will die!

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:19 am

M-Files wrote:
HughMungus wrote:I'd think agnosticism was the most humble because you're not making a declaration of what you believe to be true at all (whereas theists and atheists are).


Which is more humble:

To admit that what you believe may in fact not be true?

Or to simply say that you have no convictions, and therefore cannot be wrong either way?

Atheist hugs,
m-files
:)


You're confusing the reason someone would decide to not decide. I've decided to not decide because it's irrelevant to my life, not because I don't want to be wrong. I think it takes more courage to say "I don't know," than to appear to know something either way.

For example, is this true or false: HughMungus owns only one television. How much time would you spend trying to figure this out when it its relevance to your live is near zero?
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:22 am

Ranger Genius wrote:I've always seen agnosticism as sort of a coward's way out; a cop out. Being afraid to take a position. Mostly I think they're closet theists who are mad at their god (or gods), or closet atheists who are too afraid to admit it to themselves (and others). If you don't believe in god, you don't believe in god. It's just spineless pandering to say "I don't believe in god, but I don't disbelieve him, either!" And contradictory, to boot.


I don't think I've ever said either one of those things (here in this thread or in my life). I say, "I don't care. Other things are more important to consider."
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:20 pm

Another great example of irrelevant questions: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060301.html

Multiverses: Do Other Universes Exist?
"Some multiverse hypotheses may therefore be great fun to think about but not practically falsifiable and therefore have no predictive scientific value."

Now ask yourself: Do other universes exist? How much time are you going to spend answering that question with an emphatic "Yes" or "No"?
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby bringer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:25 pm

HughMungus wrote:Another great example of irrelevant questions: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060301.html

Multiverses: Do Other Universes Exist?
"Some multiverse hypotheses may therefore be great fun to think about but not practically falsifiable and therefore have no predictive scientific value."

Now ask yourself: Do other universes exist? How much time are you going to spend answering that question with an emphatic "Yes" or "No"?



Other universes don't have a daily impact in my life.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!
User avatar
bringer
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Postby Ranger Genius » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:34 pm

When was the last time someone used a multiverse theory as an excuse to blow up an abortion clinic?
“We cross our bridges when we come to them and burn them behind us, with nothing to show for our progress except a memory of the smell of smoke, and a presumption that once our eyes watered.”
User avatar
Ranger Genius
 
Posts: 2418
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2004 8:07 am
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain

Postby bringer » Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:44 pm

Oh, and to answer the topic question:
I deny the existence of god based on the lack of empirical evidence for his/her/its existence.

And in response to the argument about proving god doesn't exist: Well, thats just bad logic. Granted, it can not be done. Nor can you prove that there are no green swans. But the inverse is just as illogical. The negative proof, eg. "there is no proof that this thing does not exist, therefore it does exist" is no proof at all.


In other words, there is no proof either way.
All Your Base Are Belong To Us!
User avatar
bringer
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:20 pm
Location: kansas city

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 pm

bringer wrote:
HughMungus wrote:Another great example of irrelevant questions: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap060301.html

Multiverses: Do Other Universes Exist?
"Some multiverse hypotheses may therefore be great fun to think about but not practically falsifiable and therefore have no predictive scientific value."

Now ask yourself: Do other universes exist? How much time are you going to spend answering that question with an emphatic "Yes" or "No"?



Other universes don't have a daily impact in my life.


That's exactly my point about being agnostic.
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:00 pm

Ranger Genius wrote:When was the last time someone used a multiverse theory as an excuse to blow up an abortion clinic?


You're confusing organized religion with religious belief. Any system of belief can be twisted into something bad or blamed for something bad. Hitler came to power in a representative democracy. Does that mean we shouldn't have any faith in representative democracy anymore?
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Postby HughMungus » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:03 pm

bringer wrote:Oh, and to answer the topic question:
I deny the existence of god based on the lack of empirical evidence for his/her/its existence.

And in response to the argument about proving god doesn't exist: Well, thats just bad logic. Granted, it can not be done. Nor can you prove that there are no green swans. But the inverse is just as illogical. The negative proof, eg. "there is no proof that this thing does not exist, therefore it does exist" is no proof at all.


In other words, there is no proof either way.


OK, here's a great example of why I posed the original question.

First you say, "I'm an atheist because there is no empirical evidence that god exists."

Then you say, "There is no proof either way."

If you believe that there's no proof either way, wouldn't that make you agnostic?

If there's no proof either way, how did you end-up not believing instead of believing?
It's what you make it.
User avatar
HughMungus
 
Posts: 1823
Joined: Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:17 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: An atheist I was born; an atheist I will die!

Postby M-Files » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:57 pm

HughMungus wrote:I've decided to not decide because it's irrelevant to my life, not because I don't want to be wrong. I think it takes more courage to say "I don't know," than to appear to know something either way.


You spend so much time preaching what you pretend is so irrelevant in your life that you didn't read my post properly. I asked which was more humble, not which "takes more courage".

Admitting up front that what you believe may indeed be wrong is obviously not "pretending to know something either way". And it takes far, far more courage than a shallow "I don't know" blow off.

Atheistically,
m-files
:)
M-Files
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:36 am

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 48_love, Fidget and 1 guest