Can anyone help me out??

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Can anyone help me out??

Postby Lost Sportsbra » Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:45 am

This was my first year at Burning Man and I loved it!!! :!I want to learn how to spin!! It totally amazed me :shock: I want to venture into this. BAD!!! I have no idea where to start????? What do I need and where do I find it??Any advice?? Anyone??? PLEASE!!! :!:
Lost Sportsbra

Postby Ivy » Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:33 am

If you're talking about poi, a good place to start is here:

http://www.homeofpoi.com
Ivy

RIGHT ON!!

Postby Lost Sportsbra » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:46 pm

Thanks Ivy!!! Great place to start!!!
Lost Sportsbra

Other good POI sites

Postby dodger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:23 pm

Other sites that are very helpful are:
http://www.firechains.com/
http://www.firetoys.co.uk/v4/index.htm
http://www.poispinning.com/links.htm#greatpoisites

Hope this helps. Also, getting involved with a local poi group makes a HUGE difference.

Best of luck,
CB
If a wood chuck could chuck wood, what the hell would he be doing?
dodger

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:29 pm

I know that someone in the SF area teaches lessons. Does anyone know if lessons are available in LA?? Thanks..
Alpha

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:03 pm

Alpha,

Remember the thread about the LA "scene?"

I'm only half-joking. I've found that the LA fire community is very cliquish and holier-than-thou.

There are a few people that do lessons. I've seen on of the guys from Saturnailia (I'm pretty sure) offering lessons on Craig's List. Anahata occassionally offers fire classes. She one had an excellenet guest instructor named Juju who specifiaclly worked with poi--she was very good and I think I might still have her card.
the guy who made my poi and I talked about having some get togethers to light up and play around, but between everyone being so spread out and finding a place where we wouldn't get caught/shut down was a big obstacle that we never quite overcame.
Ivy

fire conclave maybe

Postby dodger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:17 pm

I have not been myself, but the fire conclave meets every wednesday somewhere in LA. The contact info that I have is tedward@burningman.com. He also has a website - www.bearclawmfg.com. Like I said, I haven't been myself, but have been planning to stop by for several weeks. The group has apparently not had quite the pre-BM attendance, but it might be worth a try. It would be my hope that folks into open minded things like POI would be open minded about new people and try to spread the art. Unfortunetly, that is not always the case. If you make it there, please let me know.
If a wood chuck could chuck wood, what the hell would he be doing?
dodger

Postby Alpha » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:30 pm

Thanks Ivy and dodger. I'm looking for a no-bullshit class, as I want to gift the lessons to my wife. She shouldn't have to deal with cliques or attitudes. She's got a set of juggler's poi (neon-colored bean bags) but hasn't done much with them as she really needs to learn some technique. I was so excited when I saw the web site for the classes in San Fran but we really need something closer to home.

cheers,

Alph
Alpha

Postby Ivy » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:30 pm

have not been myself, but the fire conclave meets every wednesday

Not anymore they don't. Unless you're a member and you're invited, anyway.

I've bought from bearclaw, Tedward makes pretty good stuff.

I'm curious to what you mean by "juggler's poi"? Are you just refering to the practice poi? Do you have a link?

I don't know about much up your way, Alpha (you said you were in the valley, right?) but Anahata's class would probably be good for your wife. It's very low key and informal. It's not ongoing, it's more like a month or two a couple times a year. I don't know howoften the website is updated but I believe it's www.tribaltemple.com or hers is www.electroexotica.com. If there's no info or it's out of date, just send her an email asking anout poi clesses.

The woman who used to help her teach the poi class I took was JuJu Kim: jujukim@verizon.net is the email on her card. She might do lessons; I'm not sure. She's very good.Hell, if she could teach me poi, she can reach anyone!
Ivy

Thanks!!!!

Postby Lost Sportsbra » Fri Oct 10, 2003 5:51 pm

Thank you to everyone for all of the great sites and info. I might have someone willing to come here and give me some lessons!!! I am stoked!!
Lost Sportsbra

Postby DE FACTO » Sat Oct 11, 2003 4:34 am

DE FACTO

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks