How to gift wedding ceremonies?

How to gift wedding ceremonies?

Postby uncle sticky » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:01 pm

I'm an ordained minister (no, really) and would love to be the officiant for folks getting married on the playa this year. How should I go about making this offer? I'm thinking of offering a full service package, including champagne toast and limo (okay, pedi-cab) transport as a gift!
uncle sticky

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:11 pm

Whatever else you may do, contact the BM office. There's a wedding co-ordinator (it used to be Affinity, but I believe that last year was her last year) that sets them up and makes sure that they are legal. It may be weddings at bm.com but check on the main site for sure. Couples have to inform Pershing County in advance and go to Lovelock to pick up the liscence, so having someone on hand to help with the buerocracy is helpfull.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:11 pm

Your package sounds sweet, however!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Isotopia » Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:33 pm

Bob Stahl could probably fill you in on the wedding on the playa thing.
Isotopia

Postby Bob » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:06 pm

I should stop grepping.

Burning Man has a weddings@ email address aliased to whomever. Better off phoning their office.

Having an official weddings policy & liaison just seems perfectly natural for them at this point, given the rest of the scene is so hetero-white-bread. No homos need apply, of course.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:20 pm

Bob, I don't know how hetero the mrFishist and I were, much less how white bread.

HOwever, I do sympathise about the legal issues, fwiw.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

weddings

Postby veleda » Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:00 pm

our camp is doing a temple for embodied rituals called the Temple of All Gods. It is a designed as a sacred space for people from different religions. And it would be a great place to do weddings. We would be happy to offer the space to you for your work. It is a highly ambient 32 ft dome
veleda

My wife and I are looking to re-marry

Postby travis_bassist » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:55 pm

Your plan sounds wonderful... my wife and I are actually planning on remarrying this year at
BM - August 28 is our anniversary.. :-)

Would love to connect up...

-trav
travis_bassist

Re: How to gift wedding ceremonies?

Postby nollij » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:42 am

I too am an ordained minister and performed 9 weddings at Burning Man last year. It was a wonderful experience. None of the couples that I married cared about or wanted a "legal" wedding, though I did attend one wedding in 2004 that WAS a legal BM wedding. As for how I went about it... I contacted the BORG and also the WHO WHEN WHERE and got myself listed and told people how to find me.. and they just started showing up! I had no idea it would be so popular, and I was a caught a bit off guard at first. They ceremonies were simple and short, and very very meaningful to both me and the particpants. I said a few things, but I had my couples do most of the talking, as that's the way I think it should be at a wedding. As for the full service package... well, kudos to you if you can pull it off! I didn't have the resources to be able to gift that extravagant of a ceremony, but if you can, it's a beautiful thing. Feel free to contact me if I can be of assistance to you!

Sparky the Liquidian

uncle sticky wrote:I'm an ordained minister (no, really) and would love to be the officiant for folks getting married on the playa this year. How should I go about making this offer? I'm thinking of offering a full service package, including champagne toast and limo (okay, pedi-cab) transport as a gift!
nollij

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Camp Armageddon

Thanks for the info, here's an update

Postby uncle sticky » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:49 pm

From reading the replys, I'm getting pretty excited about it. I think I'll have a sign up at our camp (Fimbulvinter) for folks to come and "register" and then do the ceremonies either at the temple or one of the camps that have offered their space.

so much work to do, less time than I think to do it in!
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

weddings

Postby janicels » Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:03 pm

hello everyone
this will be my four burn and hubbies 5 we will have been together 25 years long one too but i want to have a wedding on the playa
that everyone can come and wear there pjs too
any idles on how we need to do this
jan
whooo we are camping with greeters....it will be great
janicels

Re: weddings

Postby adept » Mon May 29, 2006 3:23 am

[quote="veleda"]our camp is doing a temple for embodied rituals called the Temple of All Gods. It is a designed as a sacred space for people from different religions. And it would be a great place to do weddings. We would be happy to offer the space to you for your work. It is a highly ambient 32 ft dome[/quote]That's great to hear... I am bringing my own minister, but I may adopt a venue as soon as we've reached the playa :D

1st year burning at the big show, 1st time getting married too... Hope and fear indeed!
adept

Return to 2006 Theme Camps