How do I clean everything?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

How do I clean everything?

Postby latke » Thu Sep 04, 2003 11:01 am

Now that I'm back in the not-so-dusty world, how do I get the playa out of my car, off my cooler and away from my clothes?

I've tried hosing down hose-able things, but that still leaves a little residue. My next step is going to be to rinse things in a solution of water and Dr. Bronner's, unless someone else has a better idea.

Thanks for any suggestions!
latke

Postby nymphgonebad » Thu Sep 04, 2003 12:02 pm

you can throw almost anything that fits into the washing machine - run it on delicate with cold water and then hang to dry.

i realize this will not work with the car.

hrh - the princess
nymphgonebad

Vinegar

Postby DaBomb » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:26 am

To wash my clothes, I put it in the washing machine, added regular detergent and let it swish around for a few minutes. Then I added a cup of vinegar to the mix. Most of my clothes cleaned up nicely however a few things will require another washing. I've decided to clean my van out with the clothing that requires a second wash because it's already dusty and will only get dustier as I clean it out.

To wash my camping gear (folding chairs and camping cot) I filled a bucket with vinegar (I did not dilute it with water) and sponged everything down quite liberally before hosing it down. The cordura material on the furniture cleaned up handsomely, but I had to go over the metal frames a few times. I also did the same for my cooler.

Dishwashing was done with a mix of detergent and vinegar.

Not everything I've got is 100% pre-playa. The dust is pretty ferocious. But this is the first year I've cleaned up this way and it does help significantly.

I'd love to read other posts and solutions to this topic!

Love & Rockets
DaBomb

A civilized society is one which tolerates eccentricity to the point of
doubtful sanity.
-- Robert Frost
DaBomb

Postby icarus » Fri Sep 05, 2003 5:53 pm

Hey, Dabomb,
how bout you and I give each other a little romantic vinegar bath? I do believe there may be some magic pixie playa dust still lodged in my belly button.
-Icky :oops:
icarus

Postby DaBomb » Fri Sep 05, 2003 9:44 pm

Yo Icarus... race ya to the hot springs baby. You bring that pinky furry and I'll bring the vinegar. Pucker up baby. I'm sweet, but I'm also sour!

Love & Rockets,
DaBomb
DaBomb

Postby Halo Joe » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:25 pm

Vinegar works, but I use a lemon juice-and-water solution, just cause I like to smell lemon-fresh.

Word to your orchard, yo.
You were burning long before you stepped into this fire. -- EB
Halo Joe

Postby AmarettoMan » Sun Sep 07, 2003 9:54 pm

DAWN DISHWASHING DETERGENT !!
AmarettoMan

Postby tbone » Mon Sep 08, 2003 9:54 pm

I spend enough time in the desert that all my camping stuff has a nice patina of dust already. I hose off the worst of it on occasion - in fact I had a "clean your crap at my house" party for my apartment living friends this weekend.

I just throw my clothes in the washer - but I don't take my "lunch with grandma" clothes with me. I work in construction, and honestly can;t tell the difference between "playa clothes washed once" and regualr work clothes.

Yeah, the truck is dirty. I like to keep it clean just for appearances for clients, and really hate that part. Time to wash it again.
tbone

Postby irishdevil » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:39 am

We have managed to have no real diffculties get our things cleaned. The only thing I'm going to have trouble cleaning is our sleeping bags. Any suggesstions ?
irishdevil

Sleeping Bags

Postby Dark Gnome » Tue Sep 09, 2003 3:14 pm

The only thing I'm going to have trouble cleaning is our sleeping bags. Any suggesstions ?

Take the sleeping bags to a laundromat with those huge front-loading washing machines. Wash each in its own machine with plenty of detergent.

Afterwards, throw each in its own huge front-loading dryer.

They'll come out good as new, and smelling fresh and clean!
Dark Gnome

Re: Vinegar

Postby jinx_sf_burner » Tue Sep 09, 2003 5:08 pm

DaBomb wrote:I'd love to read other posts and solutions to this topic!

Easy! Separate all of the things you took to the playa.... these are henceforth referred to as "playa gear".

Everything else is clean!

Note: after 5 or 6 years you wind up with an amazing amout of playa gear, so invite virgins over for some choice pics...
jinx_sf_burner

Re: How do I clean everything?

Postby diane o'thirst » Tue Sep 09, 2003 11:46 pm

latke wrote:I've tried hosing down hose-able things, but that still leaves a little residue. My next step is going to be to rinse things in a solution of water and Dr. Bronner's, unless someone else has a better idea.

Playa dust is alkaline. You need an acid solution to counteract and cut it, water alone doesn't do it. I use Orange cleaner and/or vinegar to clean all my stuff off.

Armour-All worked wonders on my car interior. The dust just...went away. Also, during the week a few times I attacked my car interior with Armour-All wipes (mainly because I slept in there), with one more serious wipe-down after repacking, right before leaving. Like de-MOOPing your site, it helps to do some pennywise maintenance as you go.

Another thing I did: I folded up a cheap woven blanket and laid it on my dash, covering the vents. You could still breathe in there but it caught the incoming dust. Wash the blanket in orange cleaner and good as ever.
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Re: How do I clean everything?

Postby ibdave » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:41 pm

[quote="latke"]Now that I'm back in the not-so-dusty world, how do I get the playa out of my car, off my cooler and away from my clothes?

WHY, It's just going to get dirty again next year..

ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Badger » Fri Oct 10, 2003 12:07 am

Now that I'm back in the not-so-dusty world, how do I get the playa out of my car

$375 at California Detailers in SF and 12 hours of their labor.

or

$37.50 in quarters at the local car wash and 12 hours of your labor.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks