Big Futuristic Dome

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Big Futuristic Dome

Postby rezelscheft » Fri Sep 12, 2003 9:44 am

hey folks,

i'm on the lookout for a big futuristic dome for a super 8 film project. i checked out the tent-type domes on the other dome thread, but i need something larger & more permanent looking. transparent or metallic is preferred, but if you know of any big domes presently living in the bay area, please let me know. any and all replies greatly appreciated. thanks so much.
rezelscheft

BFD, indeed

Postby robotland » Fri Sep 26, 2003 6:38 am

First of all I have to know- Super 8 FILM or VIDEO? You have my special admiration if you're doing a good 'ol 8-mil film epic, as I did many in my childhood back when giant Kennedies roamed the earth.....

Are you willing to BUILD, or just looking to borrow? You can achieve some pretty fast-and-futuristic-looking results by using metal studs instead of conduit or PVC, fastening them with self-tapping screws if you don't want to waste time cobbling up some hubs.....cover with mylar, reinforced plastic sheet (with the nylon web woven into it- look in contractor supply places) or perhaps a tightly-stretched white parachute.
Hell, if it's just a SET then use cardboard and paint! The silver roofing compound that is designed to repair flat-roofed trailers has a substantial and futuristic look to it. Raid dumpsters at construction sites for flexible "Greenfield" conduit and fittings- Nothing says retrofuture like exposed "works"! Trim both exterior and interior with styrofoam packing sections from the dumpster behind your local bigbox appliance store- They come in a million wonderful, high-tech shapes! (Don't paint with spraypaint- the propellant dissolves them!)
A little set-dressing with some of these materials could also serve to make a boring old contemporary dome suitable for your project, too. Do we get to hear details? Super 8 sequel to Blade Runner? After seeing his last movie, I'll bet you could get Harrison Ford for cheap....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Skyhawk » Tue Oct 07, 2003 2:55 pm

ditto on the cardboard idea.. get Real freindly ate your local whatever place to get your hands on Large pieces, and put it all together at home. who knows. with enough paint, the cardboard might do great overall
Skyhawk

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:43 pm

Might start with manufacturers in the western US, check their web sites for examples similar to what you want, send them a description of your project, and ask for possible contacts in the Bay Area.

Here's a list.
http://www.bfi.org/domes/makers.htm
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Angry Butterfly » Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:16 pm

Robotland, you rock! Good stuff. I wanted to add one thing to the cardboard idea, spray adhesive + tinfoil on cardboard looks great if you have someone with the right touch.
I took the road less traveled, and now I would like to go back and find the paved one.
Angry Butterfly

Postby robotland » Thu Oct 09, 2003 5:53 am

Good idea! There were some guys in Hushville that built a little 1V "yurt" from SUPER HEAVY cardboard (eight ply?) with an aluminized outer layer. It looked great, was surprisingly strong and woulda burned real pretty like.

Bob, that BFI link is going to entertain me for many days. Thanks!
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks