Any New Orleans Boiners in here?

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

Any New Orleans Boiners in here?

Postby herbancowboy » Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:32 pm

Anybody got anything cookin' in New Orleans decompression-wise.

I'm about to blow!
herbancowboy

Postby caffeine » Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:07 pm

I'm moving back to NO soon, and I was also wondering about what's happenin in The Crescent City. I'm a virgin but I'd love to meet some people, and check out a local BM event, before I make my first pilgrimage.
"Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you."
caffeine

Postby herbancowboy » Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:32 pm

Sadly, I;m finding that there aren't that many people who make the trip from looziana to nevada. I'm recently deflowered but I only know of two other orleanians that attend yearly.
This year, I saw a group of about thirty put on a Sacrificial cow scene on the playa. I didn't recognize a lot of the people but they were definitely from New Orleans in part if not in whole. Unfortunately, things were moving so fast I didn't have time to make contact.
Maybe i'll just set something on fire. That should bring em out the walls.
Why did you leave?[/quote]
herbancowboy

Postby caffeine » Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:03 am

I left because my liver needed a break. :D Plus I wanted to see the old friends and familly. But when I got home, everyone had grown up and gotten all responsible on me. I'm to young to grow up, I'm a 14 year old trapped in a 30 year old body. So. . . now I'm moving back, hope to be back for Halloween.
"Your denial is beneath you, and thanks to the use of hallucinogenic drugs, I see through you."
caffeine

Postby herbancowboy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 9:50 am

you know, livers are replaceable. My Uncle trashed his, so he got a new one.
I'm thirty too. Actually thirty one. My maturity level oscillates, though. I can get grumpy just like an old man and other times I'm more than happy to lie on the floor and suck my thumb. I guess you could say I have the best of both worlds. OOps. gotta go. I just wet myself.
herbancowboy

Postby caffeine » Fri Sep 26, 2003 4:00 pm

The thing that sux about getting a new liver is you have to order them so far in advance, then there's the wait, oh man, the wait is the killer. Unless of course, you steal one, but that's so messy.

So Herbancowboy what are some of your favorite haunts? I used to work at the Tropical Isle on Toulouse. I used to hang at Molly's, The Dungeon, The Old Point, Robert's, Snake n Jake's, Igor's, and a bunch more but those were my regular spots.
caffeine

Postby herbancowboy » Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:17 pm

I would say I gravitate towards bars where i've got a friend bartending. Right now Bridge lounge (too popoular with students now) and the Delachaise(new, where Monjunis used to be). In general I prefer newer bars ( as in just opened) They tend to give you a lot more lattitude about smoking in the bathroom etc. They also seem to appreciate your business more. There's nothing that infuriates me more than going into Mollys and getting attitude from a 21 yearold bartender fresh off the greyhound.
there's also this other yearling called Pal's lounge in esp ridge. Excellent place to get loaded. Lot's fuzzy wall paper to grope.
herbancowboy

Postby caffeine » Sat Sep 27, 2003 1:36 pm

I prefer the Hole In The Wall, Neigborhood type bars. The places where you can go get falling down drunk and you know there will be someone there to put you in a cab, and they know where to send the cab driver. :D
caffeine

I'm boinin down the yats

Postby Hepcat » Mon Sep 29, 2003 9:18 pm

First burn this year and I've been decompressing since. Hope to return again. And yes, smoky little local bars are the best. I just wish I worked in one {I.m going to be there any way}
Hepcat

Postby herbancowboy » Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:14 pm

I used to work in a bar a long time ago and the money and the lifestyle were good to a point but i got to a plateau where all the bullshit and manufactured drama was too much. I don't know if it was the alcohol or just a general insincerity in that particular place but there are very few people from that era of my life that I've kept in contact with.
I would like to see something else replace alcohol and cigarettes as the accepted social lubricant. I sort of look forward to a time in the future when the general legal drug of choice becomes something else. I'm not talking about coffeehouses. I dream of something different. Raves looked promising but sadly it's too hard to maintain chronic use of that stuff over a lifetime. The music is too loud to talk anyway. What will be the new opium around which our masses will congregate. Computers? possibly. They're a bit more time consuming than addictive though. They don't really make you suffer enough( i.e.
I can't imagine anyone "sucking dick" to get at the new imac.) I sort of thought "smoking" bars were around the corner. Vancouver has a budding scene similiar to amsterdam. You can't buy, but you are welcome to smoke what ya got. Unfortunately this country has taken such a irreversibly strict stance I'm now positve that it won't be legalized for quite a long time. All we're left with is pills and inhalants. Pills are a bit too sterile in their ingestion. There's no ritual to imbibing them. I can't see going to the corner pharmacy to get some pills and hang out with your zolofted neighbors. How the fuck did I get on this rant? Oh well whatever it will be will be interesting. Till then I'll just have to linger around the pumps at gas stations.
herbancowboy

Postby Hepcat » Thu Oct 02, 2003 1:04 am

Here, here. Very well said. There are any number of beings who feel what you spoke. Many times I've questioned and reasoned as you've done. Hat's off in agreement.
Hepcat

New Orleans things to do / where to play?

Postby genex » Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:36 pm

Hey any tips for a burner going to visit New Orleans?

I'm going to get there for work two days, and then staying two more to save on flight costs.

I'll be there from the 9th-13th. I don't mind going to bars, but also like to check out cool galleries and art parties, etc.

Or a good underground club scene (DJs, etc.)

I am thinking of renting a car if there are places out of town to check out nearby too. I am not planning on the French Quarter unless you locals actually say it's cool to check out...

Thanks!
gene
genex

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Salty Jack

just arrived...

Postby squeak » Thu Oct 09, 2003 7:03 am

we just arrived in nola this week, after spending the last 3+ months in service of the dpw. i really haven't been away from the playa/gerlach long enough to really think much about decompression, and am currently pretty wrapped up in looking for a place to live and a job, but if there are some kind of plans for a nola-burner thing, i'm game.

i know there are several other dpw folks who reside here at least part time. am sure we aren't the only ones...

is there a regional list? if not, is there any desire for one?

squeak
squeak

Postby Hepcat » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:16 am

OK, I feel like we should revisit the New Orleans burner experience group people who live here and want to share and ....... Let's all do lunch or least drop a line evey few months. TA TA
Hepcat

Postby squeak » Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:02 am

am still here. am also on tribes.net as squeak FreeBeer, where there are some very underutilized nola/burner groups.
squeak

Postby robotland » Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:33 am

I speak as a tourist, but Mardi Gras's the second-best party I've ever been to.....we were treated to such splendid hospitality all three years that I've attended that I'm starting to wonder if we Rustbelters are just rude, uptight assholes......Just like BRC, when Mardi Gras comes around it kills me not to be there- *sigh* (opening box of Zatarain's.....)
Anybody in Crescent City know Jimmy Descant? Makes great rocketship sculptures out of vintage vacuum cleaners and such, and I've told him to get his ass out to the Playa to no avail....(yet)
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby poeticphoto » Thu Mar 25, 2004 11:19 pm

I see that no one has posted here in quite a while, but I just found this thread and couldn't pass it up without mentioning that I'm from New Orleans. This year will be my (and my boyfriends) first burn. I've been searching the e-playa for people around my area. I've been talking to a few people. If anyone comes across this and wants to maybe meet up, celebrate, talk, whatever... contact me. Send me an email, message, or IM me on AIM. Thanks. :wink:
poeticphoto

Re: Any New Orleans Boiners in here?

Postby JenSexy38 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:36 pm

I live in Lafayette, and I attended my first (of MANY) burns this year. I need to decompress!!! Looking for others ;)
JenSexy38

Return to Regionals & Events