SUGGESTIONS FOR NEXT YEARS THEME

Next theme: Islands

Postby imaginationtroubador » Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:55 am

Floating World (wish I'd been there) is just transport. ISLANDS are Jamaica (sugar), Sicily (gangsters), Tahiti (breasts), Madagascar (music), Ireland (bombs! no, Guinness!), Iceland (snowmobiles), Catalina (????)...
Troub
imaginationtroubador

Postby robotland » Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:52 am

Not to mention the more esoteric islands.....Verne's Mysterious Island and Wells' Island of Dr. Moreau, the islands visited by Gulliver, the anatomical Isles of Langerhans, Gilligan's Island, Monster Island......
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:04 pm

Hey the playa barbeque folks can bring a goat for capri!
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby kilngod » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:25 pm

Entrance guised as a BRC version of Ellis Island

La Contessa reborn as a cruise ship

Barbie Death Kamp Presents The Gulag Archipelago
kilngod

Re: Next theme: Islands

Postby Flon » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:19 pm

imaginationtroubador wrote:... Catalina (????)...

(tourists, feral pigs and bison)
[preferably all 3 in a cage match to the death]
Flon

Postby Niacin » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:33 pm

kilngod wrote:La Contessa reborn as a cruise ship

And we find out about the whole thing three days beforehand with instructions on how to book a room at the local Marriott?
lebenskunstler - noun, German - someone for whom life is an art form.
Niacin

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Zondermaan

theme

Postby lothos 1162 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:14 pm

If it's a water theme or island theme,great I still have my fish costume and jar of vasaline.Lothos
lothos 1162

Postby Mozy bonz » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:28 pm

How about
Celtic Gods and Goddesses

Dagda - Ireland; god of the arts, knowledge, magic, music, prophecy, prosperity, regeneration. Known as the "Good God" and "Lord of the Heavens," he was one of the high kings of the Tuatha De Danann and had four great palaces under hollow hills. Of his children, the most important are Brigit, Angus, Midir, Ogma and Bodb the Red. His magical cauldron had an inexhaustible supply of food and his oak harp made the seasons change.

Brigit - Ireland; goddess of agriculture, fire, healing, inspiration, learning divination, occult knowledge, poetry, prophecy, smithcraft. Her Gaelic name of Breo-saighead means "fiery arrow" or "fiery power". Celts often referred to her as being three in one - the Triple Brigits or the Three Mothers. An ever-burning fire was kept in her honor by her nineteen priestesses who lived in a sacred temple at Kildare. She was also a daughter of the Dagda. Variants: Brid, Brig, Brigid, Brighid

Angus Mac Og - Ireland; god of youth, love, and beauty. One of the Tuatha De Danann, name means "young son". He had a harp that made irresistible music, and his kisses turned into birds that carried messages of love. His brugh, underground fairy palace, was on the banks of the Boyne River. Variants: Angus or Oengus of the Brugh, Angus Mac Oc.

Aine - (AN-yuh) Ireland; a woman of the Leanan Sidhe (Sweetheart of the Sidhe). Some said she was the daughter of Manannan, some said she was the Morrigan herself. There was a stone, Cathair Aine, belonging to her and if anyone sat on the stone, they would be in danger of losing their wits, sit three times and they would lose them forever. Aine was very revengeful, and it was not a safe thing to offend her

Bel - Ireland, Wales; god of cattle, crops, fertility, fire, healing, hot springs, prosperity, purification, science, success. A sun and fire god closely connected with the Druids and the festival of Beltaine (May 1). Variants: Belenus, Belinos, Beli Mawr (Wales)

Cernunnos - all Celtic areas in some form; god of animals, commerce, crossroads, fertility, reincarnation, virility, warriors, woodlands. Druids knew him as Hu Gadarn, the Honored God. Ancient Celtic images show him seated in a lotus position, naked, with antlers or horns on his head. Animals that were sacred to him: bull, ran, stag, and horned serpents. Variants: Cerowain, Cernenus, Herne the Hunter

and for Apokaliptika
Morrigan - Ireland, Wales, Britain; a shapeshifting war goddess of lust, magic, prophecy, revenge, war. Known as Great Queen, Supreme War Goddess, Queen of Phantoms, and Specter Queen, she kept company with Fea (hateful), Badb (fury), and Macha (battle). Variants: Morrigu, Morrighan, Morgan.

Taliesin - Wales; god of magic, music, poetry, wisdom, writing. Known as Prince of Song, Chief of the Bards of the West, and Patron of Druids, he was a great magician, bard, and shapeshifter who gained his knowledge from the goddess Cerridwen directly.

Lugh - (Loo) Ireland, Wales; a sun god of all crafts and arts, healing, journeys, prophecy. Son of Cian, a Tuatha De Danann. Of legend, his skills were without end; in Ireland he was associated with ravens; and a white stag as his symbol in Wales. He had a magic spear and otherworldly hounds. His festival was Lughnassadh, or Lunasa - August 1. Variants: Llew, Lug, Lugus, Lugh Lamhfada (of the long arm), Lug Samildananch (much skilled).

I don't know.... just thinking.

This is by no means a complete list of Celtic gods and goddesses.
Mozy bonz

Postby robotland » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:51 am

Celtic Gods and Goddesses sounds like a good Mardi Gras krewe theme....But even though BM did have "Hell" for a theme once, I think they'd shy away from theme so specifically culture-and-deity-centric. Don't want to alienate the Flying Spaghetti Monster people, or just plain 'ol atheists like myself.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Mozy bonz » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:11 pm

ok..... just thinking.....
more out of the box I get it. how about.....
It's all about the art.

or has it been done?

this is hard.
Mozy bonz

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:43 pm

robotland wrote:Celtic Gods and Goddesses sounds like a good Mardi Gras krewe theme....But even though BM did have "Hell" for a theme once, I think they'd shy away from theme so specifically culture-and-deity-centric. Don't want to alienate the Flying Spaghetti Monster people, or just plain 'ol atheists like myself.
Or even those who have a soft spot for Odin, who's got to be a near twin of one of that lot.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby robotland » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:22 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
robotland wrote:Celtic Gods and Goddesses sounds like a good Mardi Gras krewe theme....But even though BM did have "Hell" for a theme once, I think they'd shy away from theme so specifically culture-and-deity-centric. Don't want to alienate the Flying Spaghetti Monster people, or just plain 'ol atheists like myself.
Or even those who have a soft spot for Odin, who's got to be a near twin of one of that lot.

I've always wanted to have two pet crows that I could name "Thought" and "Memory", just like Odin's. Not crazy about giving up an eye, though.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby AntiM » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:09 am

I have two fake crows who reside on top of my canopy bed; seems I'd been thinking I'd forgotten their names. Apparently not, hmm.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Mozy bonz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:36 am

I learn somthing from everyone I meet. Thank you all.
I mean it really... thank you.

I want his eight-footed steed Sleipnir. The colt could travel over land and sea and through the air.
Mozy bonz

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:41 am

robotland wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

I've always wanted to have two pet crows that I could name "Thought" and "Memory", just like Odin's. Not crazy about giving up an eye, though.
What really? NOt even for wisdom? It's that and hanging on the World Tree for three days that keep Odin from being a run-of-the-mill head god sexist patriarchal moron bore, IMHO.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:42 am

Mozy bonz wrote:I learn somthing from everyone I meet. Thank you all.
I mean it really... thank you.

I want his eight-footed steed Sleipnir. The colt could travel over land and sea and through the air.
And Slepnir's mom was Loki--who's even cooler than Odin. But I have a soft spot for tricksters...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:44 am

Okay, Okay, I know better. I truly believe that there's no point in trying to outguess larry on the theme and you look like a fool trying, but yesterday I found myself thinking "Go Blake. Songs of Innosence, Songs of Experience. The Road of Excess Leads to the Palace of Wisdom."

Hold me.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby robotland » Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:38 am

I'd LOVE to see some of the big Blake-inspired artworks. And someone'd have to make edible Blake drawings, as a "Red Dragon" homage.....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Mozy bonz » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:42 am

epiphenomenon
secondary phenomenon associated with and apparently due to another...

The world of the mysterious and unexplained

I don't know I think It fits.
Mozy bonz

Re: 2006 Theme

Postby diane o'thirst » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:11 pm

1-LOVE wrote:Everyone I've talked to has agreed that an Environmental theme would be welcomed and appreciated.

Sounds great, but how would Clowns or Santas fit into that theme?
ImageImageImage
diane o'thirst

Theme suggestion: EVOLUTION

Postby Drezo » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:48 pm

Theme: EVOLUTION

This represents how things change over time, including Burning Man.

Also, with all this "Intelligent Design" creationalism in the news from
the religous right, timely no?

Lots of ways this could be artistically treated...

Drezo
Drezo

boy/girl xx/xy

Postby Valerie Photogoddess » Sun Nov 27, 2005 7:50 pm

what about the masculine and the feminine
open to interpretation for people to explore gender and gender roles. how the genders relate or don't.
Valerie Photogoddess

Efficiency

Postby gyre » Mon Nov 28, 2005 1:24 pm

How about celebrating the cities use of energy?
If you factor in all the volatiles used for burns, Black Rock City probably has the highest fuel consumption per person on the entire planet!
"Everything is more wonderful when you do it with a car, don't you think?"
-girl by the fire, watching a tree moved by car bumper in the bonfire

It would be a shame if I had to resort to self-deception to preserve my faith in objective reality.
gyre

Re: 2006 Theme

Postby robotland » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:05 am

diane o'thirst wrote:
1-LOVE wrote:Everyone I've talked to has agreed that an Environmental theme would be welcomed and appreciated.

Sounds great, but how would Clowns or Santas fit into that theme?

Perhaps an art piece that addresses the issues of burying vs. incinerating them.

Sad Clown
Sad Clown
Why did you fall down?
Why are you on fire?

-Spaceman Spliff
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:42 am

Environmental theme--only if I get comped!

Ego aside, hm. Oh heck, lets go back to my perinial favorite "Land Use Policy in the Arid West" with street names Bureau of Land Management, Army Corps of Engineers and Minerals Management Service.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby TheMirror » Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:02 pm

I am all for an environmental theme...

ANYTHING to balance the impact of the utterly consumeristic edge and essentially unsustainable nature of the event...

But so as to be inclusive to the hedonist and destructive elements of our broader community, how about expanding the concept to leave the interpretation open (and to include the clowns - not so keen on the santas though):

Something like: Earth & Rebirth or Renaissance or Rejuvination or even the patently obvious... Recycle...

That way everyone can "recycle" their costumes from previous years and feel eco-friendly! YAY!

I think if we fail to address or incorporate the physical environmental impact of our community it would be hard to figure just which end of Nevada, I'm in... Las Vegas or BRC!

Hugs all, The Bard Mirrorman
We look at our reflection in a still pool and it gives us a perspective on who we are, but we do not know how deep it goes until we dip into the pool and past the image, necessarily disturbing the surface in the process.
TheMirror

Postby Tiahaar » Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:04 am

You know it will be something ephemeral and transcendental like The Sands of Time.
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:42 am

Dang. You're right.

stop scaring me
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Tiahaar » Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:36 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:stop scaring me

heehee :mrgreen:
scarier than I knew...in looking for an hourglass image I found it is Very often used by "End Times" religious groups...
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:54 pm

We had a year devoted to Hell. What about the rest of hmankind's religious symbolism?

The Fucking Ancient and Manifold Gods and Goddeses
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to 2006 Theme