POTTY GUILD

No matter your skills or interests, there's a way for you to participate in the creation and manifestation of Black Rock City, both at the event and year-round.

POTTY GUILD

Postby phototed » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:16 pm

The Potty Guild will supply personal cleaning and grooming items
to needy Porta-Potti users. I am looking for volunteers to staff
each porta potti cluster. You will provide hand cleaner, emergency
toilet paper, perfume and cologne and wet wipes, vicks vapor rub (for the smell) and other items of comfort. Be part of a much needed service
that will help your fellow burners poo happy and healthy.
We need volunteers for every station that are willing to bring these items.
Thanks
Ted "Wyld Stallion" Dewberry
phototed

clarification

Postby phototed » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:51 am

Do any of you know where the specific porta-potti TP can be purchased?
I think this is the one ply stuff. As far as baby wipes go, I think they would only be given to those leaving the potti and the user would be responsible for
disposal. Any ideas?
phototed

Re: clarification

Postby unjonharley » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:25 pm

phototed wrote:Do any of you know where the specific porta-potti TP can be purchased?
I think this is the one ply stuff. As far as baby wipes go, I think they would only be given to those leaving the potti and the user would be responsible for
disposal. Any ideas?

~
I pick up one ply for my RV a the Dollor Tree. Camp goods stores have some in rolls without the center cadboard. Good for hiking, climbing and BM. They stuff into small places.
/Running to catch the last basket of the day
unjonharley

Postby Kinetic IV » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:42 pm

Radical Self-reliance
Burning Man encourages the individual to discover, exercise and rely on his or her inner resources.

http://www.burningman.com/whatisburning ... iples.html

Not to be negative but at what point do we move away from the hand holding and nicey nicey stuff and go back to radical self reliance? It's one of the 10 principles after all. Maybe some people want all that stuff....I don't. I want to get in, shit, piss, and get out of there as there are a million other things I'd prefer to be doing on the playa. As long as the potties have TP and are pumped out on a routine schedule that's all I need.
K-IV
~~~~
Thank you for over 7 years of eplaya memories. I have asked Emily Sparkle to delete my account and I am gone. Goodbye and Goodluck to all of you! I will miss you!
Kinetic IV

Not For Everyone

Postby phototed » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:33 pm

I know some burners might not agree with my idea of the Potty Guild, but
gifting some comfort is my way of creative expression. There was a guy a couple of years ago that made iced Lattes for people at the Potty between
8-10 am. I guess one could say that he did not support self-reliance, but he was certainly appreciated. Someone made me a snow cone in the middle of the playa. A camp served free corn.
I guess I'm saying that this is something I have been thinking of for a while and want to try it. Anyone who is uncomfortable with this can choose to
not take part in it. It is my way of getting involved and doing something interesting, mabye making some burners happy in the process.
phototed

Postby unjonharley » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:40 am

One year I made up "shit kits". Paper, wet wipes, plastic glove and moop bag. Desided not to give em. People would throw the whole works in the shiter.
unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:51 am

I believe in self relinace for myself. Right down to my own shitter with saw dust to strat the rotdown. Thinking of bringing some of the worm garden this year. I already dry all the waste and have a holding tank for slop water. The worms would be happy to get a had start. I try to give some small thing back and not leave a trace. Right down to raking and searchng the ground I used. Then work outward from the camp to help others. The wind maks short work out of the rake ferals. Then I'm gone in the wind also.
unjonharley

Postby robbidobbs » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:08 pm

Little late, but I'm here.

Hi Phototed. I welcome your idea about providing services at the Temples of Smell. I have one very important suggestion however. Please use your gifting opportunities to educate participants about not throwing anything into the camodes other than excrement and tp. By providing folks with wetwipes you are in a sense telling them it's ok to put them into the deep blue schmoo, and that's not good. Last year our fair city broke down a $90K piece of equipment, the Centrifuge, as a direct result of excessive baby wipes being tossed in. This seriously pissed off the pottie vendor Johnny on the Spot.

I also suggest that you set your sights smaller, and just commit to monitoring the pottie bank nearby where you live. If you do solicit more volunteers than can comfortably "man" one bank, then have them open a franchise at another bank and stick with it.

How do I know this shit? Because I've been monitoring all the pottie banks and coordinating volunteers for this effort since 2001. I am constantly in dire need of help refilling the hand sanitzer stations also, so if you're looking for a "real job" let me know. If you have any questions or insights, please PM me.

Best of luck to you.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
DPW Volunteer Coordinator
robbidobbs

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Dept of Over-Engineering

well...

Postby haptotrope » Sun Jul 16, 2006 2:25 pm

if you're going to stand outside to portapotties all day, you can offer a "moop bag"/trash recepticle, that you will give, and then collect upon the completion of their portapotty adventure, then offer the wetwipes/sanitizer/lotion there, outside of the potties, so that if folks *really* wanted to get the wetwipes into the potty, they'd have to wait in line again. There was some interesting haiku-signage in the potties last year-- that I bet really helped this year.

education+original concept+followthru=another shining moment at BM. its just going to require some planning to make it run smoothly, and without gumming up the works, as it were.

(as for the radical argument, well, you can take it to the pack your own shit out level of reliance, but the offer above is a luxury in the wasteland, like a bar, with grilled cheese sandwiches at 3am... radically gifted comfort, says I)
haptotrope

Re: well...

Postby robbidobbs » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:15 am

haptotrope wrote:if you're going to stand outside to portapotties all day, you can offer a "moop bag"/trash recepticle, that you will give, and then collect upon the completion of their portapotty adventure, then offer the wetwipes/sanitizer/lotion there, outside of the potties, so that if folks *really* wanted to get the wetwipes into the potty, they'd have to wait in line again.

That's a good way for you to participate. Go for it. I spend about 15 minutes at each potty bank per day, and get to every one in the City at least twice in a day. It's a big city. If you can spend more time, say hours, this would offer an opportunity to do your performance art.

In 2001, the Goat Ropers set up folding chairs, umbrella and cooler at their nearby bank. They had a "trading post", where people would give them stuff, often beer. By the end of the day, they had drank all the beer and given away all the schwag. They had a great time.

There was some interesting haiku-signage in the potties last year-- that I bet really helped this year.

Thank you. Yes, I believe they do too. There won't be as many haiku's this year, as I'm focusing on delivering the message in a more "direct" way. Read them anyway, some of them are quite funny.

education+original concept+followthru=another shining moment at BM. its just going to require some planning to make it run smoothly, and without gumming up the works, as it were.

Thanks again. By all means, adopt the potty bank near where you live, monitor it, educate those who visit, make it your art project. Your help is needed and appreciated.

(as for the radical argument, well, you can take it to the pack your own shit out level of reliance, but the offer above is a luxury in the wasteland, like a bar, with grilled cheese sandwiches at 3am... radically gifted comfort, says I)

I welcome and encourage your gift of luxury to the Playa.

Best of luck, and I'll see you at the Potty Banks.

RobbiDobbs
Chief Poopervisor of the Pottie Project
robbidobbs

Postby Smoxalot 420 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:24 am

Could we start a campaign to educate people on closing the lids in the shitters when they are donr? When the lids are closed, the shitters are designed to vent from the top and not in to the place where we have to do our business. I'll think I'll make an effort to educate those at 4:30 Hope (nearest shitters to my camp) to strive for less smelly potties.

See ya at the Burn !!

Come see us at 4:20 Hope.
Smoxalot 420

Postby robbidobbs » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:53 am

Feel free!
You can adopt the pottie bank at 4:00 & Eager.
robbidobbs

Return to Get Involved!