cleaning canvas

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

cleaning canvas

Postby falk » Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:37 pm

Any suggestions on cleaning cotton canvas? I can't decide between air blowing, hitting it, or hosing the dust off. Are either effective, really? Anybody know the long-term effect of playa dust on natural canvas?
falk

Postby phil » Wed Oct 12, 2005 7:23 pm

Any more information? I'd run it through the wash if it's small enough. I'm assuming no paint or other decoration? Beating it and air blowing won't get all the dust, I've tried that with a tent. Hosing the tent didn't work well, either, so I put the tent in the tub with a quarter cup of Lysol, then do the same with the fly -- they aren't canvas, and aren't washable.

Cotton canvas will shrink in length to some extent, so asking what you should do to clean it isn't offering enough information for good replies.

Playa powder will have some abrasive effects on the canvas -- but without knowing what you do with it, I can't guess how much. Playa powder is harsh stuff, and I recommend removing it if at all possible.

Phil
phil

Postby robotland » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:40 am

The best results I got with deplayafying super-heavy canvas tarps was when I hung them, beat them, and hosed them. (Just like the hired help.)
It helped to soak the canvas throughly first, and then work top-to-bottom with the high pressure nozzle. Do on a sunny day if possible, and reverse and repeat. Having a three-story geodesic structure to hang them from doesn't hurt, but some HEAVY rope and a couple of BIG trees'll do. (Stuff get heavy!)
Results? I dunno....90% clean? Just enough to still smell Playalicious.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby AntiM » Thu Oct 13, 2005 6:40 am

Big ropes and big trees, plus add a sprayer attachment full of vinegar for the first hose down.

I guess a big chainlink fence might work well too, depending on what or who is on the other side.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby falk » Thu Oct 13, 2005 4:59 pm

It's the cover of a geodesic dome. Five panels, each 25' x 20'. No yard or trees big enough to string it up.

And shrinkage is going to be a *big* problem, I'm afraid.
falk

Postby phil » Thu Oct 13, 2005 5:33 pm

Okay, a couple of suggestions, depending on the layout of whatever area you've got to work in. (a) Lay it down as much as possible and vacuum the sucker. Move more into range of the vacuum as you can. (2) Leaf blower. Hang sections up and blow. Move more up for blowing as you can. Blowing it will raise horrendous dust, but c'est la vie. Vacuuming will use up a lot of bags, but c'est la vie.

With canvas panels that size, if you can't beat 'em, suck 'em or blow 'em.

Phil
phil

Re: cleaning canvas

Postby pchops » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:25 pm

Thanks all, feel I can get creative with the outdoor space I have access to and that hose attachment sounds ideal. The tent held up awesome but was surprised how saturated the canvas got with dust, assumed it'd have been a bit more repellant.

Will head your advice, appreciate all the insight and past experiences.
pchops

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks