What about a water slide?

Here's a pic of it from 2004

Postby PleasureSean » Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:07 pm

Top of slide
http://www.pleasuresean.com/BurningmanM ... 20Camp.htm

and the flat run out part with the catch pool
http://www.pleasuresean.com/BurningmanM ... %20fun.htm

Loadie Camp 2004 - around 3:30 and near the back - they were right down the street from us and this water slide tempted me every time I went by so I finally had to do it. They built a couple of stories of scaffording and had a fiberglass chute with tape at the seems between the fiberglass panels and then they pumped water up to the top with a gennie when someone wanted to go down. The water in the pool at the end was a bit dusty/manky so I took a shower right after, but man - you hauled ass on this thing. The slide leveled out at the bottom to a flat section and then dumped you in a catch pool - ass and legs splayed all over the place - so catching the speeding sliders seemed to be the tough part.
When loss recedes from surfeit, pleasure is its own reward.
PleasureSean

Postby Mr.? » Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:12 pm

[img]http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ronnie_brust/detail?.dir=/91f3&.dnm=7bed.jpg&.src=ph[/img]
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!
Mr.?

Postby Mr.? » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:23 pm

OK, for those who care! I have now found a way to make this easier than expected and when I find out tomorrow how much it costs... affordable?
I was driving north on CA-29 to Napa and were they are putting in a new road and I saw this sitting on the side of the road. I stopped to get a closer look at what I saw and if the price is right I will be bringing a grand water slide to the playa for all to enjoy next year.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ronnie_br ... pg&.src=ph

Here is the company web site.

http://drainage.plasticpipe.org/index.D ... p?State=CA

More tomorrow after I call for pricing, but if it's less than $600 bucks for two 20 foot pieces I'm building a monster water slide.
Mr.?

Postby robotland » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:01 am

YES!! That's exactly the stuff I was describing earlier. If they hit you with a high bid, check locally for brickyards and big landscapers- They sometimes stock that stuff, too.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Mr.? » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:29 am

At $29.50 per foot I would be looking at $1,180 for just the tubes. Thats two 20 foot sticks. I was wanting to make my slide 28 feet tall with a run about 80-100 feet long. So far it's too expensive to make something of that size, so now I have to consider down sizing my project or just making a 40 foot run... :evil:
Mr.?

Postby robotland » Tue Oct 25, 2005 11:19 am

Yowtch! More than I thought.....

The longest, thickest yellow plastic slides at Menards (like Home Depot or Lowes, but cheaper) are currently running around 100-120 bucks for an 8-10 foot run....Not a bargain, but 1/3 the price of tubing...

It'd require lots more work, but you could make the slide from sheets of lauan supported every two feet or so with plywood semicircles, and covered with vinyl flooring....
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Mr.? » Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:20 pm

How wide are the tubes you are talking about? This tube is 3 feet in diameter and the total thickness is strong enough to stand with out reinforcement. I have not found anything that was thinner and less expensive, so this other option is news to me. How thick is this tube and is it smooth on the inside?
Mr.?

Postby robotland » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:56 am

I'd swear to have seen smaller-diameter stuff that's the same as that which you were shopping...More like 2' dia. than 3'...I figger that the average person's gonna have less gluteal real estate than me, and I'd need....*measuring ass with ruler* a MINIMUM clearance of 18", so 2' would be okay for the vast majority of Burner Physiogeneric Carcass Varieties. I'll swing by the local brickyard on my way home, and try to secure some answers for ya.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby Mr.? » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:11 am

Instead of a sign that reads, "You must be this tall to ride this ride" I could have a sign that reads "You must be at least this wide to ride this ride".
I'm barrowing my friends truck this weekend and driving up to get the couple of pieces that I saw on the side of the road. I believe that there is at least 20 feet of tube, (once it has been cut in half) and I can at least put together a prototype.
Thanks robot.
Mr.?

YAAARRGGH! Salvage Pirates!

Postby robotland » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:41 am

Yeah...if it's just laying there by the side of the road, "they must not want it that much".....Heh. Heh. Borrowing your FRIEND's truck was very clever....It's supposed to be cold that day, so be sure to wear your ski mask.
Howdy From Kalamazoo
robotland

Postby ibdave » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 pm

I got your slide......
I was Hydroseeding today in Waterford ca. Near Modesto..

For a very long time the site was Big Bear Waterpark.
Now its House's. But the former owner of the park lives right next to the subdivision. At the bottom of the hill was some of the old slide parts.. Even a full circle. From where I was, it looked dirty but in good shape still.
I also saw a small support that looked like it hold the slide up.

I'll try to get out this weekend with the camera and post soon..
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Mr.? » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:34 pm

OH MY!!! I would do what ever it takes to get a hold of something like that!!!!!
Mr.?

Previous

Return to 2005 Theme Camps